Owner 2X jig hook v.s. Matzuo 3X Sickle

J
Jig'n
I decided to do an unofficial test between the Matzuo 3X strong Sickle jig hook and the Owner 2X strong hook.

The images below pretty much explain everything, however the needle snapped off my scale during the last test (I think it was due to the G forces from the hooks snapping) and I was not able to test the Owner hook.

The test I did get finished you can clearly see the Owner outperformed the Matzuo. The Matzuo hook snapped at just under 15 lbs. and the Owner exceeded 15 lbs before snapping.

I do plan to punish some more of these hooks as soon as I can get a new scale. The next test I think I’ll use video mode to try and capture the actually breaking point/weight.

TO BE CONTINUED

• Owner 1.jpg
  • Matzuo 2.jpg
  • Matzuo 1.jpg
  • 015 copy.jpg
R
RunWithSasquatch
Yeah interesting stuff. You'd really have to put the screws to a fish to get those kinds of forces

J
JeannaJigs
I want to see the gamis put to the test. Had many of those break. The only reason I like the matzuos are the sickles. They have a way better hook set. Time and time again, those sickles don't go anywhere. Owners however are by far the best quality hook on the market in my opinion. They stay sharp fish after fish and it takes some brutality to bend them

J
Jig'n
So far from what I can see both hooks are very much equal in my eyes. Like RWS said, you would really have to horse in a fish to get these hooks to break or bend, I think your line would break first.

As for hooking and holding fish? I don't know since I hadn’t fished the Matzuo's yet. Between a full time job, BeeLee jigs, a 2 year old child, and another child due in April I rarely make it out on the river anymore :(

Jig'n

J
JeannaJigs
Yeah I got my hands on some of those matzuos last winter and they are great.Congrats on the the second kid! Sorry you aren't getting out on the water though.

C
colbypearson
JeannaJigs said:
I want to see the gamis put to the test. Had many of those break. The only reason I like the matzuos are the sickles. They have a way better hook set. Time and time again, those sickles don't go anywhere. Owners however are by far the best quality hook on the market in my opinion. They stay sharp fish after fish and it takes some brutality to bend them

i agree, owner as a whole are my favorite all the way across the board

J
JeannaJigs
Wellllll, jig hooks and snp's... Hate, hate, hate the cutting points. They pop out way too easy in my experiences

C
colbypearson
JeannaJigs said:
Wellllll, jig hooks and snp's... Hate, hate, hate the cutting points. They pop out way too easy in my experiences

really!!??, im sure its different for the seperate species but they make some killer EWG wide gap hooks for bass fishing, but im sure its different

J
JeannaJigs
Well true I only salmon and steelhead fish. Can't speak for other species.

F
First Bite
What Matzuo model and size jig hook did you use? Most important...were they manufactured in China or Korea? Matzuo makes about a dozen different Sickle jig hooks and most of them are of the lighter wire version that aren't meant for steelhead & salmon. I've used the heavy wire Matzuo 60 degree bend hooks...different then the one you tested I believe...and they have worked very well for me for the last several years.

J
Jig'n
These sickles are supposed to be the same ones that Rvrfisher has been selling, according to the NW rep. Raymond Strelecki. They are the 834010-1/0.

Jig’n

A
Amberjack
So far from what I can see both hooks are very much equal in my eyes. Like RWS said, you would really have to horse in a fish to get these hooks to break or bend, I think your line would break first.

Not to be rude, but why? AS you stated your line would break first. Your test is based on a scale that you pulled .. In a straight line? I would be more apt to test Stated Line rating versus actual, rather than a hook bending on sheer brute force. Lot of variables in your test. Don't know of many anglers who would just use brute force, rather than finesse to bring in a nice fish. If you know you have a nice/trophy fish on the line, it would make more sense to worry about line strength rather than if the hook is going to straighten out, unless you are using braid.

J
Jig'n
Amberjack said:

Not to be rude, but why? AS you stated your line would break first. Your test is based on a scale that you pulled .. In a straight line? I would be more apt to test Stated Line rating versus actual, rather than a hook bending on sheer brute force. Lot of variables in your test. Don't know of many anglers who would just use brute force, rather than finesse to bring in a nice fish. If you know you have a nice/trophy fish on the line, it would make more sense to worry about line strength rather than if the hook is going to straighten out, unless you are using braid.

My test was to measure the breaking point of the hooks for my own knowledge/curiosity and I decided to share it here. I know under normal fishing conditions these hooks do great.

A
Amberjack
No problem, just curious. I did a field test this past year on two different brands of line both rated 30lb. Using the same reel, rod, lure, knot and techique, I found the breaking strength on Brand X was superior to Brand Y. I started with Brand Y and snapped off numerous fish, Switched to Brand X and broke off one fish out of 20, (Due to either fray in line or improper drag setting)

I would like to test drag pressures on different brands of reels (Of similar size). Also knot strength. I have went to a Uni knot versus an improved clinch.