Overnight camping/fishing

Casting Call
Casting Call
Here's my formular when it's go time. Whenever the total of night and day temps total over 100. What do you think OFF'ers? Tony

Reactions: Raincatcher
A
Alan
Lol, sounds good as long as you camp comfortable

Diehard
Diehard
I'm more of a foul weather fisherman I love being out in the crappy weather it doesn't bother me a bit some of my friends are fair weather glampers and fisherman but I personally like it all and I'm sure I'm not alone good luck out there and remember if theres no picture it didn't happen

jamisonace
jamisonace
My ability to tolerate inclement weather exponentially increases as the fishing improves. And YES....pics or it didn't happen except I almost never get pics when its raining even a little.

Reactions: NKlamerus and Diehard
Diehard
Diehard
Couldn't agree more I wont just go stand in the rain like a lost cow there has to be some motivation for sure

DOKF
DOKF
Years ago I was an avid river angler seeking salmon and steelhead in the fall and early winter months. The salmon were caught with an emphasis on curing the eggs for steelhead season starting on Boxing Day (my wife had not yet introduced me to the pleasures of ikura); inevitably a miserably cold and snowy day with ice forming on the lines. My family thought I was crazy, but always seemed to enjoy the catch.

Current fishing conditions (aka combat fishing) make me much less inclined to go out on the OFF chance of catching something. Instead, I am much more likely to paddle my canoe gently across picturesque waters in search of trout eager to play. The boy and I had a great evening last night on Lost Lake, a memorable way to spend the first day of summer! And as the summer progresses, we hope to hit some of the other equally picturesque lakes Oregon has to OFFer, as well as wade some of the many small streams and rivers.

But, getting rained on in a canoe seldom goes over well. If it is raining this side of Hood, we will head east in search of drier weather, and the possibility of getting intimate with some salmonid friends. The opportunity for a long drive with the boy is usually all the incentive I need.

I guess you can say that I have definitely become a "fair weather angler". Unfortunately, I may be teaching this trait to the boy.

Reactions: Diehard and Casting Call
Chromatose
Chromatose
diehard3_zps4693dea3.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: FairweatherFisher, DOKF and Casting Call
jamisonace
jamisonace
Casting Call said:
Here's my formular when it's go time. Whenever the total of night and day temps total over 100. What do you think OFF'ers? Tony
Is there a max temp when you stop? I can't think of anything much worse than scorching hot days in a dusty campsite to be followed by overly warm nights in a tent. I likey my AC.

Reactions: Troutski and Casting Call
Casting Call
Casting Call
Let tolerance be your guide. I also don't like hot, dusty, and freezing wet cold. 90 max, 35 minimum. Tony

Reactions: Diehard and FairweatherFisher
DOKF
DOKF
Chromatose said:
I used to be one of those popsicles ... Fun to look at in retrospect, but not likely to happen again anytime soon. My contribution to steelhead conservation.

Reactions: Chromatose and Diehard
FairweatherFisher
FairweatherFisher
If there’s a chance of hypothermia, I’m not getting near the water. Then again, my username is apt.
For me fishing is a spring/summer thing, crabbing and hunting are fall & winter.

I like the 100° temp sum to gauge if it’s camping season or not though. I might just have to start using that.

Reactions: Casting Call