Overdue..but...I was proud of my work LOL

J
JeannaJigs
So yeah, I'm not the most talented person alive...yeah...I dropped out of my woodworking class in highschool...So the fact that I did something that came out decent, was amazing, and it was my boat, so that made it double amazing.

Fiberglass work was gonna be done this summer, but lack of funds due to not working for a month has put that on hold, and I'm not sure I want to tackle that project by myself lol.

So this is pretty much as good as it's gonna get for a while lol. I did this when the river was flooded, so it kept me occupied and distracted from gettin' angry about not fishing.

I've decided, I will never own an all wood boat. Ever. Forget that maintenance!

BEFORE:
0b644b68.jpg

aa9c010c.jpg

8b3398c9.jpg

687ebad9.jpg

7bf5ad1d.jpg

In process:

After I sanded it
2eff3ee4.jpg

12c0245b.jpg

First coat of polyurethane, still drying..so it looks real dark.

8e5b3479.jpg

Finished drying

eef3ca0a.jpg

b377c6f1.jpg

and being utilized.

86d7df05.jpg

J
joesnuffy
That's a nice looking drifter you've got there. Good job on the D.I.Y. project.

G
Green_Tackle
Very cool. I always fantasize about fixing up a boat but then I remember I've had a DIY fishing rod rack in my garage for months that just needs a few more screws.

Good job.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
:clap: :clap: :clap:

T
Thuggin4Life
Looks good!

O
OnTheFly
Rill Noyce. My Zealander accent

Last edited:
G
GDBrown
You've done a very good job on that, Jeanna. You have every right to be proud of your work. Keep putting some more poly-urethane on it and it will keep looking better. Most people stop too soon when it comes to putting the finish on wood that is going to be outdoors a lot. It take 5 to 7 coats to really protect wood the is exposed to the elements. A little sanding between coats helps it stay smooth and makes it adhere to the base coat better. Fiberglass work can be very messy the first few time you do it but it is a steep learning curve you'll soon be an expert. The main thing to remember with fiberglass is the hotter the day the shorter the working time & if it is too cold it will not set at all! Do it while the weather is nice and be prepared to do a lot of sanding to smooth things out after it sets.

Good Job,

GD

M
Mike123
You def did a good job on the wood! Next thing, beer holders! :D

J
JeannaJigs
GDBrown said:
You've done a very good job on that, Jeanna. You have every right to be proud of your work. Keep putting some more poly-urethane on it and it will keep looking better. Most people stop too soon when it comes to putting the finish on wood that is going to be outdoors a lot. It take 5 to 7 coats to really protect wood the is exposed to the elements. A little sanding between coats helps it stay smooth and makes it adhere to the base coat better. Fiberglass work can be very messy the first few time you do it but it is a steep learning curve you'll soon be an expert. The main thing to remember with fiberglass is the hotter the day the shorter the working time & if it is too cold it will not set at all! Do it while the weather is nice and be prepared to do a lot of sanding to smooth things out after it sets.

Good Job,

GD

I called it quits after 7 coats. Took 20,000 years because the weather wasn't cooperative. It's pretty well coated, and smooth though, it came out pretty good. Now would probably be the best time to do the glass work lol, but I just feel like crap and don't want to do it right now...so, unless I can con someone with a heated garage into allowing me to use it, it's probably gonna have to wait until next summer. We'll see though. It's pretty structurally sound, it's just an appearance thing, and really, it doesn't look too terrible. It's for killin' fish anyways, it's not supposed to be pretty right?

J
JeannaJigs
Mike123 said:
You def did a good job on the wood! Next thing, beer holders! :D

Now THOSE I will try to get going this month fo' sho. It hasn't been warm enough to appreciate beer, but yesterday, it was clear that they would have been very appreciated.

G
GDBrown
If it is structurally sound then just paint it! No need to do what doesn't need being done.

Enjoy catching fish, forget the work!

L
Left Bank
:clap::clap::clap:
Way to go girl!!! You rock!!!

C
capblack
nice job, the wood looks great. And its a lot more rewarding doing the work yourself. now dont worry about the appearance of the glass, just figure out the beer holders and go kill some steel, Brian

J
JeannaJigs
GDBrown said:
If it is structurally sound then just paint it! No need to do what doesn't need being done.

Enjoy catching fish, forget the work!

There's spots where it's all pitted in, and it drives me crazy lol. It floats and has no leaks, so it's no big deal, but...drives me nuts lol. so eventually, would like to get those spots filled in and smooth and then paint it.

J
JeannaJigs
capblack said:
nice job, the wood looks great. And its a lot more rewarding doing the work yourself. now dont worry about the appearance of the glass, just figure out the beer holders and go kill some steel, Brian

That's what I'm saying, beer holders and steel....that's all that's needed. (for now) lol

L
lilsalmon
Good job.....lookin very nice

E
everett464
It looks awesome. Woodwork is one of the most rewarding things to make look pretty, and its pretty low risk, from the DIY perspective.

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
It looks really good!!!

H
Hawk
She is looking reel beautiful Sis.

Great Job you've done.
:clap::clap::clap:
:D:D:D
:cool::cool:

J
JeannaJigs
Thanks :) I have many plans for future rennovations/improvements, as time and funds allow.