Out on the Sandy yesterday...

C
chrishophoto
Well folks, I still have not ever caught a steelhead yet, but I feel a little more determined to figure it out, and yesterday I was out on the Sandy for the morning before I had to get some actual work done for some images that will be going up at a Key Bank branch out in Troutdale.

The water was really high, and a little muddy, so I didn't expect to catch anything. Nevertheless I spent a few hours at Dodge park, to practice my casting if nothing else. I am still trying to get the hang of bobber fishing.

So while I was wasting my time, I was wondering where people are going to get fish when the Sandy seems useless?

Any ideas?

A
autofisher
Safeway......:lol:

Seriously, it's a great question.... When the water blown out, brown, and nasty..... I usually head for a lake or pond. I don't like standing on the banks of a fast moving river with the feeling that it's a waste of time.

O
OnTheFly
Keep fishing it!

Keep fishing it!

I went by the Sandy today on the way to a job. The water is looking greener than brown at the Stark St. bridge. Watch the river levels. Dropping water is the optimum time.

E
eggs
I was at dodge this afternoon and the water was alittle cloudy but more green then brown.. no bites BUT i did almost go for a swim when i stepped off a rock and dropped like a foot when i was already out to my waist.. :D

rain came and drove me home. hope it doesn't rain too much. i dont want it to blow out after finally dropping to a decent level.

F
FISHHEADMAFIA
well . . . when the river "almost" blown , it needs to be fished a bit different . if you want to go to a river that is not blown , when the sandy is , or almost is , do the clack or eagle creek . cleans up faster . drops faster , fishes better 1-2 days after a big rain than the sandy . however , right after a big rain hit the sandy for coho . fish on , i promise . not so for steelies im afraid to say .

Z
ZeeBorn
I wouldn’t consider the sandy blown out right now. Blown out to me is 12+ or just really muddy. But it's a little high and with these conditions I'd focus on the tailouts of holes and in bolder gardens where the water gets farley deep just off the bank. In these bolder gardens look for the current break where the faster moving water that's in the middle of the river transitions to slower moving water closer to the bank. Focus your effort near the current breaks, the slower moving water and even right up to the bank if the water is deep enough. Generally in this situation all the fish are going to be in the first forth of the river from the banks. Good rule of thumb is that if it's waste deep or more it can hold fish.
Don't forget to adjust the depth of your float every so often to make sure your still in the kill zone.
Good luck out there stick with it and you'll get fish.:)
-Nate

C
Cracker
Great advise ZeeBorn..........

F
FISHHEADMAFIA
ZeeBorn said:
I wouldn’t consider the sandy blown out right now. Blown out to me is 12+ or just really muddy. But it's a little high and with these conditions I'd focus on the tailouts of holes and in bolder gardens where the water gets farley deep just off the bank. In these bolder gardens look for the current break where the faster moving water that's in the middle of the river transitions to slower moving water closer to the bank. Focus your effort near the current breaks, the slower moving water and even right up to the bank if the water is deep enough. Generally in this situation all the fish are going to be in the first forth of the river from the banks. Good rule of thumb is that if it's waste deep or more it can hold fish.
Don't forget to adjust the depth of your float every so often to make sure your still in the kill zone.
Good luck out there stick with it and you'll get fish.:)
-Nate
most of my fish are caught in knee deep water or less . 1 more thing to think about . and very close to the bank . 1 more thing to think about . jeeze , so much to consider on top of every thing else thrown out there . conditions dictate what method of fishing/gear to use . learn several methods , and use them accordingly .