Out of towner help

W
wmcclendon
I'll be out there for work in a few weeks and all of my guided trip plans have fallen through so far. I was thinking about just going it alone and trying for some trout on the McKenzie. Last time I was out there we were in Bend and I got to spend a day on the Deschutes. I'm looking for something like that again if possible.

I'll be bringing my fly rod and waders, so something easily waded would be great. I don't mind hiking...actually prefer it if it gets me away from the crowds and to good fishing areas, but I can fish in town if that's where the fish are.

I'm sure I'll stop by a fly shop and get some local flies and hopefully some tips as well.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Tommy

jamisonace
jamisonace
If I were going to wade the Mckenzie for trout I would fish above blue river on either the main stem or the south fork. There is a lot of great wade able water across from ranger station near mckenzie bridge.

S
sapo
I agree with jamisonace, theres some really nice fly water above leaburg up by mckenzie bridge, i have caught quite a few up there. They're not huge, though, so you'll have to hunt for the big ones, but there are lots of fish. caddis hatches are usually abundant there and a caddis or pmd is a good choice.

jamisonace
jamisonace
If you want to book a guide, I just spoke with John Gross, owner of roaring fork guides. I thought he had moved to the south coast for fall salmon but he's coming back to guide on the mckenzie for a few weeks in October.

W
wmcclendon
Thanks everyone for the advice. Jamisonace...I did talk to John and booked a trip with him Friday. I'll try to get some tips about the McKenzie for my Saturday fishing as well.

Looking forward to visiting your great area once again.