Out of commission!

troutdude

troutdude

Went to see the Orthopedic doc today. He confirmed a rotator cuff tear (supraspinatus muscle), in my right shoulder (I'm right-handed). Had 2 options: surgery now; or cortisone shot w/ more physical therapy. We decided on shot/therapy for now, to help "get me through" Spring and Summer.

Then, the surgery will happen in the fall with recoup in the fall/winter. Oh joy. :rolleyes: But at least I don't have to pay for any of it (other than the time off from work for therapy, rehab, etc). So, there is a slight bright side to this predicament. :D

I haven't been fishing since last November. I'm just hoping, that I'll be able to fish at least a little bit this Spring n' Summer. Otherwise, I'll just have to live vicariously through all of the threads n' posts that youse guyz put on here (which is what I've been doing since November anyway). Then, get back to it next Spring after it's all healed up. My fingers are crossed!

If anyone has any tips, that can help my shoulder...I'd love to hear about 'em! Thank you. TD

18406ej

The cortisone shots worked well when I had them in my knee, so I hope that they bring you some relief. I can't see that the action of casting with that right arm is going to be painless, but I hope that it will be tolerable enough to get some fishing in. Good luck and take care of yourself,

N

n8r1

learn to cast with your left arm :D

good luck with your surgery

I second the left arm suggestion. I blew out my right shoulder in an auto accident a couple years ago, and the doctor said no shooting jump shots with my right arm for 3 months (I play a lot of basketball and also coach youth basketball) So for three months I shot only with my left hand, and it helped me develop my off-hand a little bit.

Imagine if you could be an ambidextrous caster--it would open up a lot of opportunities to cast in thick brush and wooded banks that you may not be able to do with only your right arm.

Raincatcher

Raincatcher

Less than 50 feet from the Santiam River! :)
Oh,dude! I went through that years ago,not fun. I opted for the surgery and couldn't have been happier with the results. No problems whatsoever since I finished with the p.t. Until then, you could look on e-bay for one of the rocket launch type rods. I'm sure there must be some out there just waiting for you. Maybe a lure flinging sling shot? Get better soon.

L

lilsalmon

Wow...that sucks...sorry to hear that. After being laid up for 13 weeks with my leg, if it was my shoulder I would definitely be out there fishin with the left hand......thats just me though. We will be sure to tell our fishing adventures so you have something to read....:D

G

GDBrown

If you have to have the surgery I would opt to do it now rather than later. Six to eight weeks and you'll be back on the water. That's like the first to the middle of may. Either way good luck.

GD

N

nwkiller

wow, no good buddy hope you get better soon!!

O

OnTheFly

Troutdude,
Inspired by Ninja, I plan to learn how to cast with a spey rod. The technique does not involve using your shoulder. Think about it.:think:

G

GungasUncle

What if you just focused on fishing for smaller fish, with lighter rods, on smaller waters - so that you don't have to blast out 50 foot casts or better. Waters where you can cast with just your arm, or a flick of the wrist? Might be easier on the ol' shoulder.

Or you can take GD's suggestion, get the surgery over and donewith now, and only miss springer season - and not risk reinjuring your making your shoulder worse now? Then you'll be on the water in time for summer, and you'll be totally healed up (hopefully!) just in time for fall chinook and some super fall trout fishing... just a thought :p

troutdude

troutdude

You guys are awesome! Thank you for all of the suggestions and ideas. Maybe I'll try to find a left-handed rocket launching sling shot set up? Then I'll have all of the bases covered. LOL

I was able to bat either right or left, in little league. So, maybe I can figure out how to do the southpaw thing...jab, jab, jab, uppercut! I have also figured, that I may be able to cast w/ my UL rods sidearm or underhanded (which is how I cast anyway). That might not bother my injury at all. IDK at the moment, as I haven't yet tried it.

You guys have also got me re-thinking the "wait" for the operation. I frankly did like the fact, that the surgeon didn't want to just rush me into it. That tells me that he's level-headed and not just in it for that. He suggested to wait--and use the cortisone--to get me through the summer. Then, my rehab would take place in the Fall. But, if I could change that (which he did give me the option for); I'd be done with it quickly and up and running in time for some summer steel and such.

One more thing. While the doc did NOT say that I cannot / should not go fishing...it is a Worker's Comp. case/claim. So, I'm not sure if it's wise to be spotted out fishing, by the peeps that work at SAIF. They could say..."looky there...he was out fishing yesterday...so he must be fine...your case has been closed"! That's a risk that I simply cannot afford to take.

Thanks again for all of your helpful suggestions and advice! Hope you all have a great Springer, Trout, Bass, etc. season!!!

G

GDBrown

Just an after thought. A lot of people who are disabled get hassled because they can fish but not work. The difference is working people have to be there all day every day, fisher-people can go once in a while for a few hours and recuperate the next day or three. So be easy on anyone who is disabled for any reason...

F

fredaevans

If you're not already there .... you'll 'discover' the inner beauty of two hander rods. A light gentle touch is all it takes. You DO NOT need to cast 120++ feet .. you'll find most of the fish within 60 feet of your toes.

Trust me on this one, just trust me.
fred

T

Thuggin4Life

Hey man that sucks. good thing you decided to wait and get to enjoy some of the better weather. One a good note i offer "guided" salmon trips.

T

TTFishon

Hey man that sucks. good thing you decided to wait and get to enjoy some of the better weather. One a good note i offer "guided" salmon trips.

Be careful of using the term "guided" now. Big article in the RG about the law cracking down on unliscenced guides. I know what you do is not, in definition "guiding", but it might bring some inwanted attention your way.....just sayin.

T

Thuggin4Life

Be careful of using the term "guided" now. Big article in the RG about the law cracking down on unliscenced guides. I know what you do is not, in definition "guiding", but it might bring some inwanted attention your way.....just sayin.

Good looking out. thats why i use the term "guided" instead of Guided. Basically i as k for someone to pitch in on the trip for there fare share but right now i ask for a trip sponser but i can supply most of the gear making it "guided". I also will bait your rod. and in most cases i get to take someone out and teach them a new style of fishing and fish somewhere where they ussually dont get to and i f they do its from the bank. Thats why I am naming my boat "guide status" lol

Top Bottom