Other fish at Clack!!!!

W
waco
Does anyone knows what is this fish?? i sow them on the shore a lot of them and they are big!!!! I dont know if you can actually see them but here are some pics!!

T
Throbbit _Shane
looks like carp to me

M
Markcanby
:lol::lol::lol: Those are Carp grab a fly rod with a bright colored Wooly Bugger an hang on!:shock::shock: Them thing can fight just dont eat them.:naughty: They dont have meat just bones:think:

H
halibuthitman
and they can give you H.I.V... and some say they are responsible for the current state of the republican party.

M
Moe
how big were those carp, theyd be fun on a slow chrome day.

W
waco
they were about 20 inch maybe!!

D
Drew9870
6lb Maxima Ultragreen, light action rod, size 8 egg hook, 2-3 kernels of canned corn, a good knot, and perfect drag setting will put every fish hooked on the bank unless it wraps up in a snag, those carp looked like they wouldn't hesitate to grab it.

Was this in the Clackamas River? or the Lake? I didn't know they were in the river if that's where the pic was taken.

Last edited:
N
n8r1
halibuthitman said:
and they can give you H.I.V... and some say they are responsible for the current state of the republican party.

Send your catch to the White House. Obama is using Carp to plug the oil spill in the Gulf.

W
waco
are this fish legal to catch them?

O
OnTheFly
halibuthitman said:

Yeah.....those damn DemoCarps.

W
waco
and yes they are at the clackamas river!!!!

D
Drew9870
Yes, they are 100% legal to fish for, there are no regulations on them. If you read the regulations, you would have seen they fall under nongame fish.

People who have no skill in fishing whatsoever, like to use a bow, gun, or snag them, since they don't have the knowledge to hook them in the mouth, or its just plain out too hard for them to hook them in the mouth. They are one of the smartest, most challenging freshwater fish to target, unless you have an area teaming with them.

W
waco
ok good to know!! next time if chromer fishing is slow i would try to get one hopefully with a pic to share with you guys!!

R
Rascal
and if you do get it please kill it

H
halibuthitman
Rascal said:
and if you do get it please kill it
thats right!!! if you come across something you don't understand or like or agree with... kill it! mabe you could try choking it with a bass or a hatchery steelhead... or you could sit it down and explain the gillnet ban, explaining the whole situation to it... and mabe it will just kill itself!

D
Drew9870
OR, be a real sportsman, and put it back, they clean the bottoms of dying/dead vegetation, eat invasive plants, and other stuff that would otherwise rot and not be eaten by anything else.

Give me a good reason why they should be killed, being non-native isn't a good reason (Bass, Bluegill, and anything else not a salmonid are non-native), and the fact that they stir up a little mud (its a river for crying out loud, mud is everywhere) isn't a reason. Yes, they might enjoy a few eggs once in a while, WHAT FISH WOULDN'T? Catfish are nuts over eggs, do you kill them? Suckerfish love eggs, and they also do a fine job of eating algae off the river bottom.

Rascal,
Enlighten me with your knowledge (I mean Ignorance)

Waco,
the vibe I get tells me you wouldn't do such a thing.

P.S. LOL at your post Hitman, so true, if one doesn't agree or understand, then OPINION comes into play.

Last edited:
R
Rascal
In My my ignorace(common sense) i would say if salmon and the rivers in general survived for thousands of years with out carp in the river, then i think killing a few carp wont have any bad effect on the river if any thing it can only help get the river back to it old balance. so to summarize there is no negative effect to killing a few carp so why does it matter? if it actually had some use to the river ODFW would regulate it so i dont see any thing wrong with it.

plus i dont like cat fish of bass either

but whatever i have never killed one personaly but thats my opinion if you want to debate it some more start a thread or revive that other one i saw a while back... and please dont sound so high and mighty. i wasn't trying to start a fight but when you talk that(calling me ignorant when you know nothing about me) well that it offends people and really makes sharing ones opinion unpleasant and hostile

ok rant over sorry waco

M
Markcanby
Rascal said:
In My my ignorace(common sense) i would say if salmon and the rivers in general survived for thousands of years with out carp in the river, then i think killing a few carp wont have any bad effect on the river if any thing it can only help get the river back to it old balance. so to summarize there is no negative effect to killing a few carp so why does it matter? if it actually had some use to the river ODFW would regulate it so i dont see any thing wrong with it.

plus i dont like cat fish of bass either

but whatever i have never killed one personaly but thats my opinion if you want to debate it some more start a thread or revive that other one i saw a while back... and please dont sound so high and mighty. i wasn't trying to start a fight but when you talk that(calling me ignorant when you know nothing about me) well that it offends people and really makes sharing ones opinion unpleasant and hostile

ok rant over sorry waco

First OFF Carp like slack water an Im no expert but I seem to remember someone telling Me once that Salmon an Steel spawn in fast gravely areas you would never find a Carp. Next you are right about the river doing fine for thousands of your without Carp but then again there went humans dumping tons of thing like Phosphorus into the water that cause algae to grow 10x faster.

R
Rascal
as i said i we can debate this some where else but ive seen them in fast water before on the clack in huge schools of like 10-20. It makes me worried when invasives seem to outmumber the natives and in so many cases invasives have screwed stuff so bad i dont think its work the risk.

plus look how bad the east is with there carp problems

D
Drew9870
The east is also full of Asian Carp (Bigheads, Grassers, and Silvers), which I would agree they take over pretty quickly and choke out the other species by eating the number one food source, Plankton. Common Carp don't feed on Plankton, definetly not primarily, they would rather have a bigger meal, like a bloodworm atleast (more found in eastern Oregon).

As for your chromers surviving thousands of years with no problem (until Carp came into the story and "ruined the balance"), did you include Gillnets, Birds, Seals, Sharks, (commercial) Fishermen, Sea Lions, Native Americans (by no means in an offensive way), and all that other crap that can result in fish being endangered into the story. Bass and Salmonids (Salmonoids whatever) are another living creature that do just as much damage (in a river) as a Carp, they stir up mud when they spawn, and they eat other life, they call it, the way of life, live and let live. Look at the Sturgeon almost becoming extinct, you want to blame that on the Carp? Just for another reason to hate them?

Last edited: