Oswego Lake Bass Fishing?

F
FishSchooler
There are several websites that says that there is bass in Oswego lake. Anyone fished in there before? The lake is filled with algae, and is surrounded by private property. I'm just wondering if anyone caught anything decent. If you did, what did you use?

J
JTLunker
I fished it once around State street, but I got hounded by people from the buisnesses Asking me if I belonged there and should I be fishing? I got the hint and bailed. Looks like bass water around there.

J
JBean
I saw on ifish a thread where a guy was bringing in some pretty nice bass. I believe most of Lake O. is privately owned though. Nice pics of bass. I don't know if that will work, but it's under the "Bass and Panfish" and then "Lake Oswego lunker bites again" I don't know if that will help. :confused:

C
cchinook
Oswego Lake

Many years ago it was called Sucker Lake because of all the junk fish that were in it, however that offended the home owners so they changed the name.

G
Gurthy
I ended up cruising down there because i also heard of some decent bass fishing down there. But i couldn't find a place to drop a line in (or drop publicly drop a boat in). I went to lunch at a restaurant nearby and the waitress said its basically a private lake only for the shorline homeowners.
If anyone cracks the code, and finds a place to fish or let a boat in, let us all know

F
FishSchooler
There's plenty of nice people around there, I've got plenty o friends down there. Just walk down a street and meet someone. They might let you in...

S
sneekc
You can access the lake from state street, near the fountain, below Manzanna. Walk along the rail tracks and drop line anywhere along the path. I have caught bluegill, never any bass. Seen very large catfish along the banks feeding and some large carp as well. In my opinion it's not worth it unless you have absolutely nothing better to do. If you in the LO area hit me up and I'd be happy to share where I head to catch fish in the area.

G
Gurthy
I cruised down to oswego yesterday. WOW that lake looks GREAT for bass. But where in the hell is a great place to access the lake??? The path along the railroad tracks is a good idea, but not too much cover.
There is a finger towards the middle right side of the lake that i caught a glimse of. Lilly pads, Weeds, Basically just prime territory for the lunkers. But accessabillity is at ZERO.

I tryed to cut through the side of someones house... and got yelled at.

If no one can figure out some spots soon, i'm gonna end up in jail for poaching off someones back deck.
HELP!!:pray:

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Sad news re:Lake Oswego

Oswego Lake is a 405-acre lake around which the City of Lake Oswego has grown.

The natural lake is fed by the Tualatin River at the West end and spills over a dam, down into Oswego Creek and into the Willamette River at the East end. There is a natural lake that was originally about 150 feet deep with steep cliffs on the South side. Over time, the lake was made larger by damming its waters and by excavating canals. There are several canals with homes that have access to the main lake as well as two bays: West Bay at the West end and Lakewood Bay at the East end.

The lake is privately owned and managed by the Lake Oswego Corporation. It is a navigable lake with a private boat launch at the East end. Being privately owned and managed, use of the lake is strictly controlled. The right to use the lake is deeded through property ownership. Obviously, those who live on the lake have use of it. However, there is a one-time initiation fee of $5,000 to activate lake usage when waterfront property is purchased. In addition, most citizens of Lake Oswego do have use of the lake, and this is accommodated in two ways.

First, many homes that are not on the lake have deeded lake rights through lake easements. Put simply, years ago when there were lots for sale on the lake, the developer of a neighborhood could buy a lot and deed it to an entire neighborhood. These lots are called lake easements. All of them have membership associations who collect dues and maintain the easements. Most easements have boat slips, picnic facilities, canoe storage, and docks.

To use an easement, you must pay dues into the easement association. Upon paying dues, you will usually receive a key that allows you to open the gate at your easement. Use of boat slips at easements usually requires waiting for a slip to become available and can sometimes take several years. Properties with boating rights, but no available boat slips, can put boats in for day use through the Lake Oswego Corporation. In addition, you may be able to rent a boat slip at the small marina maintained by the Lake Oswego Corporation.

The second way to use the lake, even if you don’t have a waterfront home or a lake easement deeded with your house, is to go to the public swim parks. There are two of them, one at each end of the lake. To use these parks you must live within the Lake Oswego School District attendance area. The swim parks are open during the summer. The first time you go there, bring identification and proof of residence and you will be issued a membership card. The swim parks have swim areas that are restricted so that young children are contained and life guards are on duty. Swim lessons, snack shacks, volley ball, and picnicking are just some of the amenities.

Any vessel put into the lake must be registered with the Lake Oswego Corporation annually. This includes motor boats, sail boats, canoes, and even surf boards. The lake is patrolled by The Lake Corporation with hired security who confirm vessel registration, enforce speed limits, and see to the safety and well being of those who use the lake.

About every 5 to 10 years the water level of the lake is dropped by releasing water through the dam into the Willamette River. The lake does not completely empty, but it does drop quite a bit. This allows property owners along the edge of the lake to build and repair sea walls, docks, and boat houses. The draw-down of the lake is always done in the winter and lasts for several months before being refilled in time for warm weather use. The last draw-down of the lake occurred in 2006.

If you're new here, you may want to subscribe to our RSS feed. Thanks for visiting!

F
FishSchooler
Too bad you can't fish on the side of the swim park.

Well.... There the creek flowing into the willamette at george rogers park. You can do a bit of hiking and hike up stream, see if you can hit the lake or the dam. Where the water flows out into a stream as a source is always good fishing. You can also try george rogers park, oswego creek for warmwater species. LM and SM bass there.