Oregon state fish records

T
The Nothing
I'm waiting for Oregon to follow Texas's lead and create a second catagory for records that all for release. Texas is doing length only records with valid photo evidence. That's awesome in my book.

B
bigfootfish
Oregon state fish records

TN. That's really awesome about Texas. Good idea!

BFF

H
halibuthitman
little known fact

little known fact

hey bigfoot, since you seem to be interested in records mabey you would be suprised to know that the 7 lb golden trout is a missprint and an err the dept of fish and wildlife has never ammended... the record fish was just a little over a pound... and the record could easily be broken! so go for it!

C
CFishRun
Michigan has a great program called the "Master Angler" program. Basically if you catch a fish of a certain length (C & R) or weight (Keepers) you get a badge and a your name goes into the books for the ages. A buddy and I were going to tackle five fish for master angler badges but than I left and came here.

Great program and it would be awesome if Oregon got something like this together.

B
bigfootfish
halibutthitman

halibutthitman

Hi there, Hal. Um.....do I detect a note of hostility in your post? If the ODFW can make a mistake, gosh! what are we gonna do?

BFF

H
halibuthitman
hostility?

hostility?

not really.... its a typo... and I broke it... with a flyrod.... and they told me there are no "wild goldens" in oregon anymore, which is crap, they called me a liar, kind of pissed me off, but its a shallow pursuit.. breaking records. im cool with it, just though mabey you might want to try your hand at fame. I also submitted a brooke trout in alaska for the record books and it was denied too, lack of proof.. and there actually was a lack of proof so that I understand. good fishin-

B
bigfootfish
State Records

State Records

Well. I hadn't looked at the State Records for a long time. I've always thought it kinda cool to see who caught the biggest, longest, etc. I thought some of our fellow anglers might find them interesting and/or useful. Gives some of us an idea of what to aim for. Plus it's nice to know how big some of the fish are getting. If I remember right, Golden Trout are a high altitude fish found mostly in Alpine lakes, 6000' on up. Rock or Scout Lake in the Mt. Jefferson Park has Golden Trout, or used to.
Here's a couple pics I've had for years. Don't know where they were caught. Someone sent them to me. These are rather nice Golden Trout, I believe?
ODFW has a procedure for getting a potential new record fish in the books. First, catch the fish. Then call a Game Warden or other ODFW employee. They will give you instructions which usually involve meeting with them so they can weigh, measure, y'know, validate the catch. It's not that hard. The gentleman who got a 38 plus pound Channel Cat out of Walter Wirth Lake in Salem learned the hard way.

BFF

Last edited by a moderator:
H
halibuthitman
yeah, caught it 2 days into a 6 day trip, ice didn't hold up and they said the fish could have been caught anywhere.

B
bigfootfish
halibuthitman

halibuthitman

Yeah, that's one one the potential problems with the ODFW rules for reporting. It's got to be fresh, same day they prefer. Bummer. Sorry you had to go through that.

BFF

H
halibuthitman
ah, not really a bummer... just unfortunate, Ive been on a quest for about 3 years to catch every species and subspecies of trout in north america... im down to the hard ones like apache trout and gila trout, the only location for goldens in oregon that I know of is a 2 day commitment anyway so a guy would have to video and gps with a witness, mabey some day.... there are lots of records that could easily be broken with little effort... for instance the Alaska brooke trout has no entry, ( exept my denied one ) and several lakes in s.e Alaska have some nice ones.... a lot of the ocean records like some rockfish are very light. so If a guy wanted to make the book it would be a fun adventure.:D