Oregon Kills First Sea lion

OREGON FISHING FORUM

Mike123

Look at their populations over the years.. rapidly, and I mean RAPIDLY over populating. Bears aren't rapidly overpopulating. Nothing is controlling the rapid over population of sea lions.
And.. those things are smart, they don't just gather up in hoards at dams.. There are tons of them on non-dammed rivers. I don't hate them as a creature, I just think everything needs balance and I'm saying if humans are gonna alter nature by making dams, they are gonna have to manage more than just fish. Humans are meant to manage and have control over the animals and fish of the earth, which we are doing a poor job at right now.

Natives used to hunt them.. their numbers increase because they reproduce WAYYY more than how many die from predation. We created that problem by protecting the furry SOB's. Many animals in nature need management if we are going to alter nature itself by creating dams and what not.
You got That right Mike. We created an un-natural feeding opportunity for the seals by creating an un-natural barrier for fish migration. Nature always wants to be balanced and once we disturb that then sometimes we need to help compensate for it. Management is sometimes neccessry. Deer were introcdued to New Zealand where there are no natural predators for them so they need to manage them with all year hunting seasons or bountys. Otherwise they would destroy the natural foliage.

We all know that the MAIN problem is the dam's we put in the Columbia which allowed for an easy harvest for them. From what I've heard recently Sea Lions have been going pretty far upstream the Columbia for hundreds of years. So they've chased Salmon for a while now. Recently they learned that if they go to Bonne the fish will be packed in there trying to get up the fish ladder. If it weren't for the dam's the fish wouldn't hold up like that and nowhere near as many Sea Lions would be chasing them. Ya natives hunted them, but what happened before that? The only thing that protecting them has done is kept humans from killing them. Protecting them sure didn't cause the recent disappearance of Orca's which has had a decent impact, couple that with good ocean conditions for the fish they feed off and you end up with a ton of em. I fully support the euthanization of the problem Sea Lions, but I don't see why there is such hatred by fishermen towards them when we are the one's who created the problem to begin with. We screwed things up, not them! All they're doing is doing what Sea Lions do.

According to your guys logic we should be euthanizing Bear up in Alaska for messing with the spawning Salmon. Because you know they waste like 90% of the fish they kill. If there's fish around they only eat the high fat areas like the brain and leave the rest of the fish to rot. Sounds pretty damaging to Salmon runs but yet I doubt we start euthanizing them anytime soon.
I couldn't agree with you more Jay except the part about the bear thing. Bear and salmon are an example of the most pure natural balance. Down here everyone's tweaked about low fish returns and biologist's cant' tell us why. I guess the seals give everyone a good visual of salmon destruction therefore we act on it. :confused:

Last edited:
WoW! That just enforces the need to manage the seals in those areas. I was surprised at how recent the study was on the impact on salmon just by sea lions.

Kodiak

Banned User
According to your guys logic we should be euthanizing Bear up in Alaska for messing with the spawning Salmon. Because you know they waste like 90% of the fish they kill. If there's fish around they only eat the high fat areas like the brain and leave the rest of the fish to rot. Sounds pretty damaging to Salmon runs but yet I doubt we start euthanizing them anytime soon.
Oh contrair my friend. In alaska Brown bears are hunted by people from around the world. Thier numbers are kept in balance with the ability of the natural resource to support them.

ShdwmnkyX

I 'spose they could introduce a new hunting tag instead of raising the price of fishing tags. Probably balance out.

I 'spose they could introduce a new hunting tag instead of raising the price of fishing tags. Probably balance out.
Well said!! It might sound insensitive, but they should release "tilicum" the killer whale from Sea world into the mouth of the Columbia. I think the sea lion population might stabilize then.

We all know that the MAIN problem is the dam's we put in the Columbia which allowed for an easy harvest for them. From what I've heard recently Sea Lions have been going pretty far upstream the Columbia for hundreds of years. So they've chased Salmon for a while now. Recently they learned that if they go to Bonne the fish will be packed in there trying to get up the fish ladder. If it weren't for the dam's the fish wouldn't hold up like that and nowhere near as many Sea Lions would be chasing them. Ya natives hunted them, but what happened before that? The only thing that protecting them has done is kept humans from killing them. Protecting them sure didn't cause the recent disappearance of Orca's which has had a decent impact, couple that with good ocean conditions for the fish they feed off and you end up with a ton of em. I fully support the euthanization of the problem Sea Lions, but I don't see why there is such hatred by fishermen towards them when we are the one's who created the problem to begin with. We screwed things up, not them! All they're doing is doing what Sea Lions do.

So how do you think we should power our homes? Should we stand around, hold hands and sing Kum bae yaw. When you start talking about euthenizing seals it almost seams like premeditated murder, seems like a .223 shell is more humane. Just a thought

Rokjak

I know a few Natives on the Umatilla Res. that are in favor of letting the Blubber Eaters from up North have a few tags for them. Don't know how they taste but hell, salt, pepper and maby a little dill or marjoram and -------- wa la a feast.

Rokjak

5 more this week. On ODFW web site.

2010 Sea lion trapping at Bonneville Dam

Weekly Updates

Week of March 8, 2010

Seven California sea lions were trapped this week. One was branded, fitted with an acoustic tag and released. A second had been branded but did not meet the criteria for removal and was released. The remaining five all met criteria for removal and were euthanized.

Week of March 1, 2010

Top Bottom