Oregon Kills First Sea lion

OREGON FISHING FORUM

JeannaJigs

gotta love how they make it seem like an extra evil killing, by noting that elementary kids named it lionel.

joesnuffy

I'm sure that the sea lions are eating quite a few fish but what damage do they do compared to the gill nets?

What do they do with the dead animal? I'd like to know what one of those smells like on the BBQ!

Last edited:

Troutier Bassier

They spend most of there time jumping off of rocks..

That was taken on the Colombia somewhere around Multnomah falls,. A few miles from Bonnieville anyways...

I'm sure that the sea lions are eating quite a few fish but what damage do they do compared to the gill nets?

What do they do with the dead animal? I'd like to know what one of those smells like on the BBQ!
I know right! or a like a ol fashion sea lion roast...byob! and I could use a new coat for fishing lol.

TTFishon

I wonder what they taste like? I do think they should allow indians to hunt them. It would be a win win situation.

Kodiak

Banned User
I wonder what they taste like? I do think they should allow indians to hunt them. It would be a win win situation.
The Idea was on the board a few years ago, the indians don't want them...too full of toxins like mercuary. I say we give them all names, we draw 10 names drawn out of the hat get a free high speed leadl injection. We come back tomarrow and draw 10 more names, free lead injections once again. Keep going till they leave or are all gone.

Mike123

Oh my! They killed a single sea lion. wooop deee dooo daaa. Until they are killing at least one a day I'm not gonna be too happy and excited. This is just a joke to try and appease fishermen. Which it's not working.

n8r1

I have no love for sea lions, but in my opinion, euthanizing sea lions to help solve the salmon problem is like spitting on a campfire in an attempt to put it out.

Mike123

Natives used to hunt them.. their numbers increase because they reproduce WAYYY more than how many die from predation. We created that problem by protecting the furry SOB's. Many animals in nature need management if we are going to alter nature itself by creating dams and what not.

beaverfan

We all know that the MAIN problem is the dam's we put in the Columbia which allowed for an easy harvest for them. From what I've heard recently Sea Lions have been going pretty far upstream the Columbia for hundreds of years. So they've chased Salmon for a while now. Recently they learned that if they go to Bonne the fish will be packed in there trying to get up the fish ladder. If it weren't for the dam's the fish wouldn't hold up like that and nowhere near as many Sea Lions would be chasing them. Ya natives hunted them, but what happened before that? The only thing that protecting them has done is kept humans from killing them. Protecting them sure didn't cause the recent disappearance of Orca's which has had a decent impact, couple that with good ocean conditions for the fish they feed off and you end up with a ton of em. I fully support the euthanization of the problem Sea Lions, but I don't see why there is such hatred by fishermen towards them when we are the one's who created the problem to begin with. We screwed things up, not them! All they're doing is doing what Sea Lions do.

According to your guys logic we should be euthanizing Bear up in Alaska for messing with the spawning Salmon. Because you know they waste like 90% of the fish they kill. If there's fish around they only eat the high fat areas like the brain and leave the rest of the fish to rot. Sounds pretty damaging to Salmon runs but yet I doubt we start euthanizing them anytime soon.

Last edited:
Top Bottom