Oregon fishing bucket list

nikita_pdx
nikita_pdx
newfydog said:
Here's a Prineville haul, taken with a fly rod from a float tube. May through early June they are shallow, and the herd needs the thinning. Nikita, good work, but how do you clean a load that big????
Took a few hours with some help. We cured, dried, then smoked them. About 3/4 was given away to other family and the rest we fried.

Diehard
Diehard
Walleye would be fun my cousin caught this toad a few yrs ago out of the Columbia and from what I have been told they can get much bigger.

Screenshot_20200917-184411_Gallery.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: Admin
T
Troutlover
I caught a steelhead on a fly rod once. Was definitely a highlight of my fishing experience. I have made a yearly goal list but not a lifetime bucket list. Good idea.

nikita_pdx
nikita_pdx
I don't really have a list, but I will attempt to catch oversize sturgeon from a kayak.

Reactions: Diehard and Admin
Cedonulli
Cedonulli
TheKnigit said:
I have not, but I also dont have access to a boat without a guide. Tuna is definitely on a need to catch list, but will have to wait for a little while
HOLY CATS if you like tuna go to Monterey bay Calif. I took a charter boat out of Santa Cruz. Was told warm water has brought them up. The poor deck hands couldn't keep up with it. Could hardly walk for the flopping fish all over. Hardest fighting fish for the size Ive ever encountered. At one point I was convinced I had a 100 pounder on but it was about 22. We all had sore arms. They were not big--in 15 pound range to light 30s.

Cedonulli
Cedonulli
shiverfix said:
Coming to Oregon gives me a whole new bucket list. Sturgeon is at the very top, I think hanging out in the boat catching fish where 4 feet is a small one sounds amazing! I am also going to try and get the Columbia walleye figured out. Those are for eating :) And also looking forward to smallmouth fishing on the Willamette. Seeing all of bass's fishing reports has gotten me very excited!

For salt I am actually looking forward to trying out jetty fishing. I've never caught a black seabass before. And while I have caught lings, it was up in BC when I was young, so it would be fun to tie into one off the jetty.
Mine is taking a huge sturgeon with a pocket knife. That's being a real fisherman. Just you and the beast. Mano Y Fisho. lol

S
Snopro
Cedonulli said:
Mine is taking a huge sturgeon with a pocket knife. That's being a real fisherman. Just you and the beast. Mano Y Fisho. lol
Pssh, knives. :sleep:

Just noodle the bastard.

Cedonulli
Cedonulli
Snopro said:
Pssh, knives. :sleep:

Just noodle the bastard.
Too tame. I noodle sharks.

Troutski
Troutski
Mine would have to be Walleye, I have tried but no success as of today. They are in my area but not in my boat.

Chuck

D
Dizzy Fisherman
There are supposed to be crappie in Blue Lake. I have never targeted them so I cannot speak on how the fishing is but they are listed as being in there. Obviously very close to Portland too.

jamisonace
jamisonace
Troutski said:
Mine would have to be Walleye, I have tried but no success as of today. They are in my area but not in my boat.

Chuck
I tried with a friend once in a lake near you. Nothing. He's had a bit of luck but they are hard to find. He's a diehard midwesterner so he loves the walleyes.

DOKF
DOKF
North American Burbot, and Asian Taimen ...

I've been lucky to catch tuna, ling cod, greenling, halibut, salmon (all 5 on the fly), pike, walleye, trout (no browns), steelhead, bull trout, brookies, char, mooneye, goldeye, smallmouth bass, ...

I'm no Jeremy Wade, but I have been lucky to catch the "important" ones.

Troutski
Troutski
jamisonace said:
I tried with a friend once in a lake near you. Nothing. He's had a bit of luck but they are hard to find. He's a diehard midwesterner so he loves the walleyes.
There is a great lake in our area that a population of Big Eyes are making a real impact on the native fishery... That being said I still want them to be a really great fishery of their own. That lake is a big one to find a few fish, I will be successful if I ever get off my fat ass and complete my boat restoration. Its close, very close but I have become rather lazy over the last few years. I have been told that Walleyes make a great shore lunch.... can't wait...

Chuck

Reactions: jamisonace
D
Don Fischer
I just strted crappie seriously about a year ago. Prineville Res and Ochoco, Res good places to go.

Cedonulli
Cedonulli
I used to get crappie in northern Calif but they didn't look like these. What about bluegill? As a kid in Burney I caught a lot of bluegill. Do they have those here?

Fummus
Fummus
Yeah, we got the gills. Seems like any farm pond or puddle that doesn't go dry in the summer here in Douglas county, has blue gills if nothing else. As for the crappie in the photo, they look like black crappie to me. Guessing you were catching white crappie.

DOKF
DOKF
Don Fischer said:
I just strted crappie seriously about a year ago. Prineville Res and Ochoco, Res good places to go.
I tried crappie fishing a few years back while on a business trip in Ohio. My colleague and I had an evening to kill in an area near Dayton that he had once lived and fished. We were not properly setup, but on a whim went to Walmart and bought some basics before heading out to the reservoir for an evening of fishing.

When I say ill equipped, picture two two guys on the dock in business suits casting cheap gear for crappie after dusk.

We had a little competition going to see who caught the most fish; all catch and release as we had no way to keep and eat our harvest. We were having a real hoot, catching lots of fish as they schooled by in waves, and ended up going into the wee hours of the morning (we were still jet lagged). When all was said and done, we had caught about 50 fish each, and he was the champ by 1 fish (caught on the last tie break cast). I chalked it up to experience, he had fished the waters many times in the past.

Back home in Oregon, we always talked about a rematch at Prineville or Ochoco (which he said were good by his Ohio standards), but never did get around to it. Would never have been the same without business attire and oxfords anyway. We did chase tuna off Baja, salmon on the Columbia and Lewis, and steelhead on the Deschutes, but those are other stories ...

B
bucketman009
Only 1 left for me in Oregon is Sacramento Perch!!