Oregon fishing bucket list

TheKnigit
TheKnigit
A buddy and I were talking yesterday about fishing trips, and plans for the future, and he said that we need to sit down and come up with a fishing "bucket" list for the year. A list of fish species and tactics in Oregon that we have always wanted to chase. Here is what I have come up with so far, in no particular order of importance.

1. Kokanee in their spawning colors
2. Steelhead on a fly rod
3. Striped Bass
4. California Halibut
5. Wolf Eel

Does anyone else have some sort of a similar list? What would you guys add?

Reactions: Huntinglover
C_Run
C_Run
That is a nice list and I haven't ever caught any of those yet. I will be happy to tag more than two or three salmon and steelhead. Other than that, a striper is on my list and I am ashamed that my personal best lingcod is only 24". I am always looking to improve on that. Also, a keeper Mac would be nice.

Irishrover
Irishrover
Have you made a tuna trip?

TheKnigit
TheKnigit
I have not, but I also dont have access to a boat without a guide. Tuna is definitely on a need to catch list, but will have to wait for a little while

Irishrover
Irishrover
If you ever decide to go there are some good folks up in Ilwaco that charter/guide.

Reactions: TheKnigit
C
Cuttykiller
I was able to get some spawning kokanee right before the snow hit on crescent lake a couple years back they were up in the shallows and all the browns and a few big mackinaw were hanging out under the kokanee was trying for the bigger guys but those little kokanee wouldn't leave my hook alone lol

my2labs
my2labs
I’ve always wanted to catch a salmon in the ocean in a fly.

TheKnigit
TheKnigit
@Cuttykiller Out of curiosity what were you throwing at them? I tried once at Lake of the Woods and couldn't get any of them interested.

D
Don Fischer
Bucket list. Love to figure out Kokanee but don't like Billy Chinook and any other lake is pretty much to far off. Channel cats high on the list but have gotten into Blues lately. Loving it, great eating! Gonna give walleye a go in October, read that's a good month for them. Supposed to be great eating but haven't a clue.

Love to go to Brownlee Res. catfishing but pretty far trip for me. Can't make a day trip of it.

B
BrandonBeach
A bucket of crappy!

Don’t know where to get them anymore short of an 8 hour drive pulling a boat.

one of the best eating fish out there.

BB

Last edited:
TheKnigit
TheKnigit
BrandonBeach said:
A bucket of crappy!

Don’t know where to get them anymore short of an 8 hour drive pulling a boat.
How far are you from the Roseburg area? We have a couple of lakes down here with crappy.

B
BrandonBeach
TheKnigit said:
How far are you from the Roseburg area? We have a couple of lakes down here with crappy.
I’m up in the Portland area.

S
Snopro
BrandonBeach said:
I’m up in the Portland area.
It would be crappy to drive 8 hours for crappie. Luckily from PDX you don't have to. Silver lake WA is an hour away and Prineville Res is about 3 hours. Scattered fish can be found right in your backyard in the Willamette and sloughs of the Columbia.

B
BrandonBeach
Snopro said:
It would be crappy to drive 8 hours for crappie. Luckily from PDX you don't have to. Silver lake WA is an hour away and Prineville Res is about 3 hours. Scattered fish can be found right in your backyard in the Willamette and sloughs of the Columbia.
Have you fished silver lake lately?

Prineville is an option, I have caught them there, not in large numbers.

Admin
Admin
BrandonBeach said:
@nikita_pdx posted earlier his Prineville catch

91571809-19f4-4996-bbfc-14cb8a0280bd-jpeg.626906

Reactions: O. mykiss, Huntinglover and BrandonBeach
B
BrandonBeach
nikita_pdx
nikita_pdx
BrandonBeach said:
How were you targeting them?

Diehard
Diehard
Astoria for sturgeon I have heard stories of getting them in the lower estuary is no comparison to say the Willamette the fight so much harder down there tail walking at times while peeling off drag someday I will get down there

N
newfydog
Admin said:
@nikita_pdx posted earlier his Prineville catch
Here's a Prineville haul, taken with a fly rod from a float tube. May through early June they are shallow, and the herd needs the thinning. Nikita, good work, but how do you clean a load that big????

crappie2019.JPG

S
shiverfix
Coming to Oregon gives me a whole new bucket list. Sturgeon is at the very top, I think hanging out in the boat catching fish where 4 feet is a small one sounds amazing! I am also going to try and get the Columbia walleye figured out. Those are for eating :) And also looking forward to smallmouth fishing on the Willamette. Seeing all of bass's fishing reports has gotten me very excited!

For salt I am actually looking forward to trying out jetty fishing. I've never caught a black seabass before. And while I have caught lings, it was up in BC when I was young, so it would be fun to tie into one off the jetty.