Oregon coast spear fishing

ryang85
ryang85
Seawolf said:
I’m also new at this and also very old for this sort of sport (66 years old that is) and I’m not able to hold my breath nearly as long as I used to (barely a minute) And I see that The younger guys feel that to use scuba tanks is cheating while spearfishing! But what alternative has a poor old retired senior citizen Got! I could use some advice on this even though this may not be a response to this particula comment?
Most free divers are ok with people using scuba responsibly. The main thing that is annoying is when someone on scuba goes and wipes the entire reef of the slower growing vermillion, china and even black rockfish that we work our butts off to get. For me personally the reason I'd rather spearfish instead of rod and reel for rockfish is the ability to get way better quality instead of quantity. If you diving jetties or easy access spots its all open game within limits i would say because the big fish are very few and far between.

S
Seawolf
I appreciate your response and will keep that in mind when choosing spear fishing locations. I have in my possession 18 for Zodiac that will get me out to some better spots such as the area of the pinnacle. There should be enough room for everybody out there Eh? I would never want to rub anybody’s fur the wrong way but I’m retiring and want to enjoy life to the fullest and if that is the only way I can do it so be it! I will be a green in responsible Diver! Thanks for your advice!

ryang85
ryang85
There are so few divers in Oregon you would be a perfectly fine scuba diving basically anywhere with a zodiac.

S
Seawolf
Thanks for your support and if your anywhere near seaside oregon I’ll be glad to take other people out for similar underwater experiences, ( and nice to have experienced hands on board ) for some of these ventures. I’m working on stripping this older 35 foot motor home on the inside and converting it to strictly a rolling diving bus ( Magic Bus! ),Set up strictly for diving, with all the amenities! What a blast this is going to be! I figure I’ll get a portable bottle filling compressor rigged up so a guy could warm up between dives and get some chow while tanks are filling! Yee haw!

M
mandeer
So, I'm new here to Oregon, but not new to spearfishing. I grew up spearing on the oil rigs off the Louisiana coast for snapper, grouper, cobia, mahi, & wahoo. Looking to get into spearing again up here. I still have all my old spearing gear from Louisiana, plus a 5mm wetsuit. I'm just looking for any advice getting started. Back in Louisiana, I just had to get out there and try my luck and learn as I went, anything to cut down the learning curve associated with new areas would be greatly appreciated!

Admin
Admin
mandeer said:
So, I'm new here to Oregon, but not new to spearfishing.
Welcome to Oregon!

Admin
Admin
Jeffpdx said:
Anyone interested in spearing in Oregon should check out
How about the opposite? All 710 members should move to OFF. )

ryang85
ryang85
mandeer said:
So, I'm new here to Oregon, but not new to spearfishing. I grew up spearing on the oil rigs off the Louisiana coast for snapper, grouper, cobia, mahi, & wahoo. Looking to get into spearing again up here. I still have all my old spearing gear from Louisiana, plus a 5mm wetsuit. I'm just looking for any advice getting started. Back in Louisiana, I just had to get out there and try my luck and learn as I went, anything to cut down the learning curve associated with new areas would be greatly appreciated!
Get a 7mm suit and a speargun less than 80cm, I use a 50cm roller and it works great. Many people like to dive the jetties and you will certainly see fish but I prefer diving coves with structure. There's much more quality and quantity to choose from. There's only a few days per year when the weather and visibility align here though.

Most guys locally shop at the Oregon freedive co or red triangle in norcal. Both shops are owned by excellent divers who have extensive background diving the northwest coast and can provide you with everything you need. Get a good led flashlight, about 90 percent of the big lings you'll see will be stuffed in the very deep corner of a hole.

Reactions: Admin
J
Jeffpdx
Admin said:
How about the opposite? All 710 members should move to OFF. )
Many, if not most, divers are H&L fishers also, and I know of at least a few of us that are on both boards (Hi Mike!). If you set up a designated sub forum for spearing, it would probably get some traffic.

Reactions: ryang85 and Admin
Q
quattroluvr
Onebreath said:
Hey! I have been spearfishing the coast for a year now solo and would really like some spearfishing buds to go with. I have mostly been spearing tillamook bay and other bays/jetties north and south. Just getting a new fishing kayak that will open up my scope of operations. Any chance people are planning trips this summer?
suggest joinng the Oregon Freediving and Spearfishing group on FB; it's the main online site in Oregon.

T
Teal541
Very cool!
I used to dive out of NORCAL all the time growing up. Abalone and spearing was my life up till about 8 years ago. Thanks for the video. Maybe someday I pull out my Yazbeck and SeaSniper and jump in.