Oregon coast spear fishing

M
MikePierce170
Thought I'd share some video I took this past weekend. I shot my limit of Black Rockfish and nailed one Lingcod (Ling not in the video, battery died). On our way out to the rock we saw a grey whale feeding on the krill below. Visibility was surprisingly decent. Diving depth, for me, was between 20-33ft on average. I was fishing with 2 other spearos and another group of 4 joined us shortly after. We dominated the kayak fisherman that were trying to fish the same area haha. The next day we heard about two sharks seen in the area. One was reported as a great white 10-12ft in length and the other 8ft in length and species unknown. Pretty crazy stuff but I had a blast. Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Admin
T
troutmasta
Bada$$!!

M
Modest_Man
Cool! Visibility is really good. I bet the "great white" was a salmon shark.

M
MikePierce170
That could be. But it's still creepy haha.

E
eugene1
Nice, probably the best way to harvest since you can shoot the ones you want. I had a friend back in Eug who would go crabbing while diving, no problems with getting big crab; EZ limits.

Crazy krill at about 0:30 onward, you know what that means right? fat salmon coming back home soon...

Best,

T
Throbbit _Shane
Cool video Mike!! Almost reminds me of a first person shooter video game :D

M
MikePierce170
Yeah we have no bycatch. I haven't been fortunate enough yet to snag crab while diving though. I'm looking forward to the krill being eaten by all the salmon, whales, etc. They can make visibility a pain sometimes.

jamisonace
jamisonace
Very cool. Looks like fun.

S
Spydeyrch
Throbbit _Shane said:
Cool video Mike!! Almost reminds me of a first person shooter video game :D

DUDE!!! That is exactly what I thought!! Especially when he was like strafing right to get around that rock and found the fish up in that crack!! Totally reminded me of a FPS!! Very cool.

@ Mike

Have you ever dove in the Puget sound? That is where I certified at age 12, that was ..... almost 19 years ago!! Crazy awesome diving experience. I did my open water exams out at Illahee state park. Then did a bunch of dives over at Edmunds Underwater Park on the other side of the sound. Very cool place to dive!! I haven't gone diving since I was around 17. Your video makes me want to get back into it. Great vid man! :dance:

-Spydey

M
MikePierce170
Never dove in the Sound. But I did get my scuba open water cert at Hood Canal. That was back in 2009. But I don't scuba and spearfish haha. Freediving on one breath is stealthy and makes little noise to spook fish. A lot of people on Spearboard frown on scuba spearfishing and consider it cheating :lol: And even my own videos make me want to get back in the water. That stuff is fun!

I
igquick
Call of Duty Modern Fishermen...

J
john montana
I wanted to see the ling! next time...

S
SLink
That's pretty wild.

D
Denduran87
That has got to be the most terrifying thing i've seen in awhile after seeing the comments about sharks in the area. I would love to spear fish in theory i'm just afraid if i really went i would puss out. Nice video man!

O
Onebreath
Hey! I have been spearfishing the coast for a year now solo and would really like some spearfishing buds to go with. I have mostly been spearing tillamook bay and other bays/jetties north and south. Just getting a new fishing kayak that will open up my scope of operations. Any chance people are planning trips this summer?

P
PittsburghD
I too am new here. Got the bug in Hawaii and thinking about the Coast but didn't want to get too excited unless I had a buddy or more to go with. A 25 year-old just died on Molokai last week freediving in shallow water after missing his buds for a spear trip. No buddy. Blacked-out and drowned. So I didn't want to to get too heavy into it here unless the following is legit. Seems pretty easy as far as the fish part compared to Ulua in the islands. 8th Gen. Oregonian who surfed the coast here as well as fished the state. Let me know if it worth it to dive in.

A
alainstain
I too want to find people to fish with , I am new to the sport, went to the caribean for a couple of weeks and dove every day,in 12 to 55 feet,
I practice twice a week at the local pool but like I said I can't wait to have a partner to fish with

P
PittsburghD
Thanks a lot

Thanks a lot

alainstain said:
I too want to find people to fish with , I am new to the sport, went to the caribean for a couple of weeks and dove every day,in 12 to 55 feet,
I practice twice a week at the local pool but like I said I can't wait to have a partner to fish with

I think I am coming to the conclusion that it is not really worth it. Tropical waters have so many fish to work up to and provide diversity. It appears the big trophy here (at least off the shore) is a ling cod. I am not all that excited about getting decked out, making sure I am safe due to currents and visibility, and then shooting a bunch of rock cod. As fun as it could be, it sounds like the trophies or at least occasional nice ones are nothing like other places.

I might just stick to the driftboat for the good ones in our state.

A
alainstain
look guys , I am going to the sea of cortez in a couple of months ,I just came back from Cozumel on jan 18th,there is enough fish in mexico to go around ,
I like to keep the expenses low and not pay 2 or 300 a day to go fishing plus my travl expenses ,in which case I would only go one a year ,
prefer to do it like that and be abele to go 3 or 4 times a year , I agree , Oregon waters are not the best ,
I don't want to pay a boat 200 us to take me out in mexico to a place I can easily reach by walking 15 min , and swimming 5 more just because I don't have a partner.
so I want to start making friends with people that would go to the caribean, and or the sea of cortez (baja), so we can partner up and cut our expenses in half just for not having to pay someone to partner up, basically that's what it is with me , plus spending too much money for a boat and gear defeats the purpose of being hunting in the ocean and be one with it !!!!, otherwise I could hire a boat and pole fish while getting drunk on top of the boat , which is also fine just not my thing .
any one interested ?

S
Seawolf
I’m also new at this and also very old for this sort of sport (66 years old that is) and I’m not able to hold my breath nearly as long as I used to (barely a minute) And I see that The younger guys feel that to use scuba tanks is cheating while spearfishing! But what alternative has a poor old retired senior citizen Got! I could use some advice on this even though this may not be a response to this particula comment?