Oregon bass fishing

S
sunjinmoon
Hello i am a new member. I just moved here from florida back in aug. Went out fishing during the fall and caught some good fish on ten mile. Now it is winter and i can't even buy a bite. I have been out fishing for the last 3 weekends and i have not been able to catch a fish. I have tried everything from lay downs, stumps, green grass, dead grass, docks, wacky rig, drop shot, cranking points, slow rolling spinnerbaits, jiging, and just about everything else that is in my boat. I know that these fish here are a LITTLE different then florida fish but can't be that much where nothing works. If someone could give me pointers that would be outstanding. That way i can stop pulling my hair out and wasting gas.:(:confused:

Thanks

Ace

C
Combat Chuck
I would say a slow slow presentation because that is what I have been told. That being said, I couldn't get a bite this weekend either using plastics :D If you find something that works let the rest of us know! :lol:

S
sunjinmoon
Well at least i'm not the only one.:lol: I have been fishing slower...i think that if i was fishing any slower i would sitting on my couch watching fishing.:lol: On my second trip i did get one to chase my jig as i was pulling it out of the water.:mad::wall:. Ya if i do find a way to get one i will let everyone know.

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
The difference is the fish here hibernate.

O
OneMore
I just stop bass fishing here in the winter until spring. Check out some trout, steelhead, and salmon in the other seasons.

N
ninja2010
yeah... i'd go with what graphite and onemore sez... until the water hits the 50s or 60s they are just too lethargic... you prolly got your bait close enough but the bassies just won't budge to bite.

here's an excerpt from smallmouths.com:

Smallmouth are mainly ambush predators. They will dart out from behind boulders to grab their prey. They can also be followers, especially when young. Smallmooth can be skittish and easily spooked at times.

Smallmouth bass feed very little during cold-water periods. They usually begin feeding in spring when the water temperature reaches about 47º. Food consumption peaks at water temperatures around 78º. When the water temperature drops below 40º in fall, they will feed very little.

but don't give up, maybe live crawdads might work, if they walk your hook into the mouth of the feeshies! (jk) :lol::lol::lol:

Last edited:
GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
I don't think you can use live bait.
However, be VERY exacting with your sounder and fish smelly plastics really REALLY slow.

F
flippinbaits
can't use live bait and u can catch them ice fishing :D

S
sunjinmoon
Thanks to everyone that replied but i can never beat KVD if i use live bait or quit when the fishing get's tough:think:. I will just keep fishing and :pray: in hopes that i fugure them out.....before he retires.:lol:

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
That dude can FISH!

R
RIVERFISHER
so can iconelli.... he says burn a lipless crankbait... only had that work one time burning a lipless in winter...

H
Hawk
Skeet Reese just won the BassMaster Classic on ESPN2................................:lol::lol::lol::lol:..........................:cool::cool::cool:

R
RIVERFISHER
Hawk said:
Skeet Reese just won the BassMaster Classic on ESPN2................................:lol::lol::lol::lol:..........................:cool::cool::cool:

skeet is a stud

S
sunjinmoon
ok finally was able to catch some a fish.:DGot this one in dorena on sat. It went about 4lbs. Caught it on a football head jig in about 8ft of water. First time on that lake and it was cold. I also caught a fish in a tournament back on the 21 of feb on a spinnerbait. don't have a pic of that one but it went 2.7. and it was really cold that day.

J
Johnny Southpaw
Not sure if you're fishing a river, lake or pond but right now I'd focus on the WARMEST water I could find: northeast sections of ponds/lakes and areas where water slows down on rivers (slews). Slow retrieve, dark/natural looking plastics is what I'd be throwing (and did throw yesterday, caught 6 LMs, 2 of which I posted pictures of on thread "First Bass of '09 II). I was fishing a fairly small farm pond, so the water there is going to be warmer than in moving water, but it won't be long before the slews start producing. Don't give up, KVD sure as hell wouldn't. -j.southpaw

J
Johnny Southpaw
There you go man! You know what you're doing, keep it up!