Opening day

OREGON FISHING FORUM

Troutski

Oooops

Oooops

Oh, I thought this was the "Diamond Lake" "Southwest Oregon":)
My bad, I guess I should get acquainted with the new site. Diamond Lake is one of those lakes that is just far enough to warrant spending the night. I will be at Odell for opening day, good luck and post some pictures of those ten pounders.

Chuck

buddah426

My bad, I guess I should get acquainted with the new site. Diamond Lake is one of those lakes that is just far enough to warrant spending the night. I will be at Odell for opening day, good luck and post some pictures of those ten pounders.

Chuck
am taking a family vacation this summer in august and considering odell or diamond lake... can anyone tell me how the fishing is at these two lakes in mid-late august? the timing isnt the best but im low on the totem pole and that was really my only option for a summer vacation. stayed 3 nights at diamond on honey moon last summer and really loved it, but didnt see too much fishing going on and that was late july... any suggestions out there? thanks all:pray:

Diamond again

Diamond again

This past weekend the highway from Roseburg was closed due to a fire, and I thought that it was a perfect time to go and take in all that wonderful fishing and scenery, so I did on Sunday. Thare was very little boat traffic in the morning and we fished the south end. Trolled mostly, and because we are getting used to what works there, we tried a lot of good stuff, and prevailed with a few nice fattys, the best of which was 17 inches and weighed in at 3 pounds. We might get in one more trip before winter.

Troutski

TuiChubs..

TuiChubs..

This past weekend the highway from Roseburg was closed due to a fire, and I thought that it was a perfect time to go and take in all that wonderful fishing and scenery, so I did on Sunday. Thare was very little boat traffic in the morning and we fished the south end. Trolled mostly, and because we are getting used to what works there, we tried a lot of good stuff, and prevailed with a few nice fattys, the best of which was 17 inches and weighed in at 3 pounds. We might get in one more trip before winter.
I heard a rumor going around in my little world that the Chubs are back...tell me that it isn't true .......please tell me.

Chuck

FishSchooler

Has the state cleaned out diamond lake yet? I was there once and the fish were not edible cause there was poison or something in the lake. I think they drained it and restocked it, but not sure.

chris61182

The poison they used only affects gill breathers, and at that it usually becomes inert after a day or two. So Diamond lake has long since been clean.

FishSchooler

Maybe it was clean, but in the news, a family was swimming in it not knowing about this "poison" and they died like 2 weeks later....... Even the people there said not to eat the fish. And signs did too.

chris61182

Maybe it was clean, but in the news, a family was swimming in it not knowing about this "poison" and they died like 2 weeks later....... Even the people there said not to eat the fish. And signs did too.
The people dying is news to me, do you have a link to that?

FishSchooler

I'll try to find it, but it was real old, maybe 6 years back.
Tui Chub to Blame for Diamond Lake Closure
Very old.
The tui chub eat all the zooplankton, then masses of algae grow faster because the plankton arent there to eat it... Then blue-green algae anabaena releases toxins into the water that are potentially deadly to humans, pets, birds, etc., then they have to poison the water to kill all the chub, which makes the water even more poisonous until it is drained, but the chub just keep comin back, keepin the water poisoned. It also says that "someone" keeps illegaly dumping chub into the lake. I HATE that person whoever he/she is.

Last edited:
Diamond on the 9th sampler

Diamond on the 9th sampler

Steve with a nice 15 inch Fatty

Rick with 17 inch 3 lb nice one.

What I used, plus nightcrawler.
My wife and I ate mine that evening for supper and no ill effects, actually just the oposite, a very nice feeling in the tummy. She isn't real fond of fish , but said that it was scrumptious!

Last edited:

Raincatcher

Nice, very nice....

Nice, very nice....

Awesome looking dinner! Glad to hear the good news about Diamond. Did you see much in the way of algae? Guess everyone needs to decide for themselves whether to fish it or not. How was the above water population? I hear it gets a bit crowded. Congrats on a great day on the water!
Barb

Awesome looking dinner! Glad to hear the good news about Diamond. Did you see much in the way of algae? Guess everyone needs to decide for themselves whether to fish it or not. How was the above water population? I hear it gets a bit crowded. Congrats on a great day on the water!
Barb
I don't think that Diamond had any problems with toxic algae. The water there is so clear that you can see all the way to the bottom even at 18 ft.

Top Bottom