Opening day above the falls

B
beaverfan
Anyone going out for opening day above the falls? I'll be out bright and early Thursday morning out of Newberg. Can't wait to hook into a keeper. Planning on going out once a week pretty much all winter. :dance::pray::clap::rolleyes:

T
Troutier Bassier
Bank or Boat?
And Above the Falls? Wow, Thats Puuuuuurty Far up.

B
beaverfan
Boat, and there's is plenty of Sturgeon above the falls. Read my previous reports and see for your self.

In fact here is a quote from an article I found on here. They have been stocking above the falls for years.

"In 1989, for the first time since 1951, the ODFW resumed stocking juvenile sturgeon in the upper Willamette River. Additional releases have been made every year.

But you don't grow monsters overnight. Only now are some of the younger sturgeon approaching legal size.

All told, a total of 55,891 sturgeon have been transplanted into the Willamette since 1989. The vast majority were set free at the boat ramp in Harrisburg, from whence they scattered throughout the main stem."

And here is the whole article.

A Tale of Two Rivers

Last edited:
S
SNDSLGR
beaverfan said:
Anyone going out for opening day above the falls? I'll be out bright and early Thursday morning out of Newberg. Can't wait to hook into a keeper. Planning on going out once a week pretty much all winter. :dance::pray::clap::rolleyes:

I plan on chasing them all winter also. I even bought a boat so after learning a few bank holes I am now trying to learn the boat holes... should be fun. I couldnt wait until thursday so I took wifey out to the Toyota hole this morning and she caught her first sturgeon... one of 5 we caught in 2 hours.

Is Newberg just "find a deep hole" or is there a science to finding them there? I would love to know another nice place to fish in under 30 minutes from the house.

B
beaverfan
The whole area in front of the Newberg boat ramp up to the island is great. It's mostly 20ft or so. Then above the island there are some decent spots. the best spot I have found is about 50yds downstream and a little off to the left of the tip of the island.

B
beaverfan
Tomorrow's the big day. Heading out at about 9am for a good day fishing. Hope the fish are biting!

S
SNDSLGR
You taking the boat out? I am on call at work so I have to wait and see in the morning but I assure you if I can pull it off I will be anchored up in my St. Johns hole until my phone rings. Good luck and report back.

H
help
it is an exciting day. i personally am debating between coho or sturgeon. anyway, good luck everyone.

B
beaverfan
Went out for about 4 hours today. 11 sturgeon to the boat. 10 shakers and an oversize 72incher. Going back out next week, I'll make sure my dad brings his camera this time.

Well here's a pic of the 6 footer. It was a cell phone pic and it just doesn't do this fish any justice. It was a brut. We had a nice little crowd of bass and salmon fisherpeople drooling a little bit. Just for a size reference that pink squid hanging out its mouth was 6-8 inches long.

Last edited by a moderator:
T
The Nothing
i have never fishing for anything above the falls! might have to make a change and give it a try some time...
care to share a spot or two?

B
beaverfan
The Nothing said:
i have never fishing for anything above the falls! might have to make a change and give it a try some time...
care to share a spot or two?

Check pm's.

Anyone else want more info on location pm me. I don't mind sharing this spot with other OFFers but don't want to share with the whole world. It's kind of an untapped fishery.

T
The Nothing
Thanks! not sure when i'll find myself upriver, but if you see some guy in a big orange kayak anchored up in your spot, say hi!

if you're looking for anything below the dam, let me know... i have a few good spots...

T
Troutier Bassier
Seems Like I gotta get out too.
I go around the Sellwood B Area. At the mouth of Johnson Creek is where I caught my first Keeper.

F
Fishtopher
Sounds like fun! How long were you guys out?

Didja stick with squid all day? Or didja mix it up?