Open seat for summers.

I just bought a drift boat and am new to the area. I haven't ever really run a drift boat but have a lot of experience of in a pontoon, so I have the basics of oaring down good. I would appreciate it if anyone has a little experience on the river would like to go down it with me and give me some pointers and hopefully catch some fish. Boat is solid so if you feel comfortable send me a pm.

I have a 17x54 koffler. I haven't ran much on the rivers but the owner of koffler took me on the willamette yesterday and said I did real good. lol. for what thats worth. I live in springfield though. You don't even have to ride in my boat if you are nervous, lol. I would appreciate even another boat to run with.

JeannaJigs

What stretch of the willamette did ya do? I'd be down to do a float sometime after i get back from wickiup next weekend. I'm no expert but I haven't killed myself the last 3 years on the local rivers.

What stretch of the willamette did ya do? I'd be down to do a float sometime after i get back from wickiup next weekend. I'm no expert but I haven't killed myself the last 3 years on the local rivers.
sounds good. I am gonna go out tomorrow on the mckenzie with my neighbor for a little more practice.

JeannaJigs

sounds good. I am gonna go out tomorrow on the mckenzie with my neighbor for a little more practice.
Everything below the leaburg dam is pretty straightforward. There's a couple places that want to suck you into walls of rocks but just pull away like hell and you'll be ok.

Just remember to always keep your bow straight through rapids and when you need to maneuver away from say, a rock wall of death and boat destruction, point your bow towards it and pull back from it.

It all relatively straight forward, it just comes down to knowing how to properly read moving water and familiarizing yourself with the way your boat handles.

Wholr different game from rowing in still water though.

eugene1

Congrats on the boat hawgcaller! Koffler is my favorite boat. Got any pics?

Going down the river with Joe Koffler (I assume) must have been good times. If you do the town run a few times I think you'll learn a bit and get more familiar with your rig. You're gonna screw up some but with time you'll be fine. The launch at day island park is good and you can drift about a mile down stream to the d street ramp in Springfield. One rapids on the trip that are pretty mellow just do what Jeanna said and keep your bow pointed straight downriver. Nice stretch to get some practice on.

See you on the river,

Ya, I went with Joe. He is a pretty busy guy so we were only out for about an hour but I feel like I learned a good amount in that time. some of the basics. I know that time on the river will definitely get me more familiar with my boat. I don't have any pics yet, I am at work til 10 am tomorrow and then I am going to run the river for a bit but I will put some up tomorrow evening.

eugene1

I have dealt with Joe and his dad, Bruce, from time to time on boat repairs. They're both good guys. Wish I could get either of them on the water with me!

Anyway, good luck out there,

:)I will be heading up the McKenzie on the 28th. Stopping at the Fishermans Breakfast in Leaburg, and then going above Leaburg Pond to maybe Finn Rock or higher and floating down to whatever. I would suggest doing easy floats for a while, until you feelin' pretty good with your idiot sticks. Also when you load up your boat with gear and passengers, you will notice that ya got to pull with everything you got to make it past that bow-grabber rock that your comin' up on. Never go sideways into brush or rocks and be careful of buryin' your oars in rocky water. It is good to have an extra oar, extra oar lock, rope, duct tape,and a couple of boat plugs on hand in your tray next to you. I also have a raft hand pump to bail wash-over if needed. If you question any upcoming move that you have to make, pull over to the bank and walk down and take a look-see at what you need to do to set up your boat at what time you get in it. It is in your best interest to be able to judge what you have to do when you get there. I have seen metal boats go down and end being scrape metal quickly. You can get boat insurance just in case something dramatic happens. Get any study books on the rivers. There are several that I would memorize. Also, drive up and walk in and watch how others go thru the rapids. Ask around at local stores and maybe pick others brains. Good luck and be careful. Fred

Here are a few pictures of the boat. I ran the Willamette twice today from Jasper to clearwater. It was pretty fun, didn't fish much. I was pretty much just getting a feel for the river. Had a hairy moment but didn't panic and the guy I was with said I stopped her on a dime. lol. I did catch a few trout though, no pics of those. sorry.

Thanks guys. I have been so damn busy the past week I have only got her on the river those two times. I took it to a pond today and caught a bass that I hooked in the gill so it got a little blood in the boat. lol.