OnTheFly

O

OnTheFly

Dear Friends,
This is the first time I have been able to return to the forum since my unfortunate incident but before I update you and tell my end of the story, I just want to express my gracious thanks for those of you that had me in your thoughts and prayers. All of you have made me feel truely blessed.

There are 4 chambers in the heart. Atrial Fibrillation occurs when the two upper pumps decide to work independently creating what is commonly called an irregular heart beat. When the two lower chambers cannot keep up with the offset blood flow, it sometimes causes ‘Ventricular Fibrillation’ and the probable end result is Cardiac Arrest. Cardiac Arrest is different than a heart attack because it has nothing to do with blocked arteries. Simply speaking, it’s when the Electrical system of the heart gets out of sync then shuts down.

I went into A-Fib at the beginning of summer. The plan was to get me prepared for a Cardio version. This is done with re-fib paddles to the chest. Blood needs to be thinned with medication before this procedure to reduce blood clots that could cause strokes. Other tests where performed also. I received my conversion by mid September and in less than two weeks my A-Fib returned. A new plan and another cardio version was about to be scheduled and, after additional tests, it was set into place. I never made it to the appointment.

Sunday morning December 5th.
My son Cody an I were preparing to bring in the Christmas tree we had brought home the day before. From the back deck, I squared off the trunk with the chainsaw, fastened the stand and went inside to check the placement of the box stand for the tree. That’s all I remember. My next vision was looking up at the acoustical tile ceiling of an ICU and it was two days later.

This is what my family said happened:
Cody and I got the tree into the house and when we pushed it up onto the stand, I collapsed into it. Cody pulled me out by my legs and onto my back. My face was blue. He screamed for Carrie. What happened next was unbelievable. While Carrie was calling 911, Cody was performing CPR on my chest and saying “Don’t die Dad, don’t die.” Ironically, he had gone through a CPR class a few weeks before as a pre requisite to his electrical apprentice program and it was still fresh in his mind. Carrie said every time Cody pushed on my chest, my face would flush to normal color. Paramedics arrived in approx. seven minutes and took over for my son. They zapped me twice to get a heartbeat.

A few days later, Carrie did a little research regarding Cardiac Arrest. 95% die from the incident because of the slim time line in which treatment is needed. 4% suffer from brain damage. Guess I was part of that 1%.

My wife and my son saved my life but all the prayers I got from all of you sealed the deal.

Currently.jpg

E

eggs

Ya budddy we are pulling for ya man! Can't wait to come see you bro! Take it easy!

H

halibuthitman

well I have to say you look pretty healthy for a guy who just had a heart attack... still prayin for ya-

brandon4455

brandon4455

i don't care if i get called a baby but,that story makes my eyes water..great to see you awake and talking jim..really puts a smile on my face.. i will keep praying for you through this whole ordeal hoping you will recover fast. get well soon and hope to see you on the water some day,

brandon

T

Thuggin4Life

Glad to here from you! Thanks for the update and the medical lesson. You can't beat this it just takes time. You'll be back on the water in no time! Thankful you have a good son and he pulled through in a moment when most would panic. Great news.

M

metalfisher76

Wow, you are blessed! Glad to see yer up and about man!!:clap::pray:

C

capblack

Jim, its great to see your getting better. Its great that your son new cpr, and it sounds like your blessed with an excellent family, keep getting better, and merry christmas. Brian

Raincatcher

Raincatcher

Less than 50 feet from the Santiam River! :)
You are truly in the top 1%, my friend. I may not be politically correct here, but God must really love you to use you as His miracle for all to see. I am sure impressed with Cody for his fast action and my heart goes out to Carrie. As much as you scared the bejeebers out of us all I can only imagine the horrific hours of torment your wife and son went through. Please give Kassandra a big hug from us for keeping the updates coming, she is a keeper. I'm so glad to see your doing better and look forward to sharing some water with the three of you again. Take care, big guy!

M

mrlindeman

i don't care if i get called a baby but,that story makes my eyes water..great to see you awake and talking jim..really puts a smile on my face.. i will keep praying for you through this whole ordeal hoping you will recover fast. get well soon and hope to see you on the water some day,

brandon

I welled up too man. We are all glad you are getting better! :)

B

bigsteel

Jim this is excellent,,i am so glad you pulled through this ordeal and props to cody for having the knowledge of cpr...heres to a speedy recovery so we can put the hurt on those redsides my friend

F

FishFiddle

Wow, after that huge ordeal you look great! Thanks for the update.

A

autofisher

Damn glad to hear from you sir! My whole family extends thier thoughts to you and yours during this time.

F

FishFinger

Great to hear from you Jim, stay on the road to recovery! You do look quite good all in all, must be that hospital food eh?

R

rippin fish lips

Glad to hear that you are doing alright! Our prayers are still out there for a speedy recovery! For a person who had a heart attack, it doesn't even look like you had one in that picture! Just sit back and relax and take care my friend!

RFL

E

everett464

don't care if i get called a baby but,that story makes my eyes water

Couldn't have said it better. Thank God for family. You are a blessed man. Get healthy, so you can show me the correct use of a crystal wooly bugger this year.

B

beaverfan

So good to hear that your doing a bit better! Had me pretty worried there for a bit! I was at Fishermans in Delta Park yesterday and saw a picture that reminded me of you so I took a picture of it! Enjoy!!!!