One year later

Irishrover
Irishrover
What a difference a year makes. Last year it was sunshine flat ocean conditions and you could not keep the fish off your line. South beach was a busy place to be tuna salmon and bottom fish filled the cleaning stations. This year cold, clowdy drizzel, bummpy ocean and the cleaning stations are almost always clear. Went out today about 14 miles and beat the water for 6 hours released one native and and one fish made off with our gear. Fewer boats going out and busy is not a word I would use to discribe this place. It might get a little busy Friday and Saturday as Halibut is open. Oh well I refueled the boat and we will be back out there tomorrow. I do enjoy being out on that ocean.;)

F
Finneus Polebender
Wow know the weather this year has been almost dismal ,hope that somehow conditions will improve for you , guess thats just fishin , better luck to ya tomorrow !

E
eggs
You will knock em dead tomorrow bro!

B
bigsteel
the ocean will be kind to you my friend,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,if not come fish the deschutes with me

L
lilsalmon
That urge to be out on the ocean is getting stronger....especially when halibut is mentioned......

Irishrover
Irishrover
The thermos is filled with coffee we are headed back out. Report to follow I'm thinking big Chinook!

R
rippin fish lips
Looking forward to the fishing report! and possibly an ocean report? like swell hieghts to!

Irishrover
Irishrover
6 hours fishing one native coho (Big Fat Fish) released, one small chinook shaker shook loose. Foggy so reduced speed and long run out. Swells 4 to 5 feet 8 second interval was about 8 seconds. No real wind wave. The ODFW checker said she only saw 12 keeper salmon today. That was at about 4:30pm. Not too many boats out as compared to last year. Tonight the hoards showd up for this weekends Halibut fishery. Nice to see the place busy for the sake of the businesses here. Oh yes you bet I'm headed out again tomorrow. Even if I'm not catching fish It's great to be on the ocean with my hot coffee and pipe (That would be a tobacco pipe) knowing that at any moment that rod can slam down with a big ol' chinook or some crazy jumping coho!;)

T
Thuggin4Life
Man I was even trying to take my 12'er out this year before all my bad luck but every time i was thinking on going the weather wasn't in my favor and my window of fishable sea isn't very big. Hope things pick up for everyone out there and hearing all these dismall reports don't make feal so bad for not making it out.

F
FishFinger
Good luck on your next run!

Irishrover
Irishrover
Finally got into them. Landed 5 fat coho 4 were hatcheries on non hatchery. Ran about 12 miles out and fished in 280 feet of water out about 17 pulls. Lots of fun see fresh siver rip across the water. Pictures to come when we fin the down load cable to the camera. Foggy on the way out and swells but not much wind!;)

T
Thuggin4Life
Sweet man good to here that you got into some after some not so successful trips.

F
Finneus Polebender
Irishrover said:
Finally got into them. Landed 5 fat coho 4 were hatcheries on non hatchery. Ran about 12 miles out and fished in 280 feet of water out about 17 pulls. Lots of fun see fresh siver rip across the water. Pictures to come when we fin the down load cable to the camera. Foggy on the way out and swells but not much wind!;)

Right on glad to hear you found em !!

R
rippin fish lips
thanks for the reports! I'm glad the fish are there! but the big numbers need to come so i can book my guided salmon ocean trip!! keep the updats coming, they are helping not only me but the other OFFers out too!!

Irishrover
Irishrover
Now that I found them, I have to take a short time out to run up to Astoria for a wedding. Be back out there fishing on Monday.

Irishrover
Irishrover
Here are a few pictures from the slim pickings this year. Pic are from 8-5-10 Went out this Friday 8-27-10 fished for seven hours. One keeper, several non clipped fish and a few lost. The fog was thick in the morning but burned off in the afternoon and it was beautifull out there. Saturday the wind was up and a small craft advisory was up so it was a no go.:(

M
Moe
SWEET fish man! Those are some beauties!

Irishrover
Irishrover
Here is a fresh fish that is ready for the knife then the bar-b-q. We stopped by the Oregon Oyster farm on the way home and I had oysters grilling to go along with this coho for dinner. This one was from 8-27-10.

E
eggs
Looks like a blast man! I might have to bribe you for a seat. Will $20 work just like it worked on all those traffic stops?? ;)

Irishrover
Irishrover
eggs said:
Looks like a blast man! I might have to bribe you for a seat. Will $20 work just like it worked on all those traffic stops?? ;)

The season ends Sept 6th. But next year when I'm not doing the farm thing I'll take you out on the big blue ocean. I'll be spending more time on the water fishing. Oh I never did work the traffic division strickly a street guy.;)