One more time before it closes!

S
Shallowbay
Went to Hagg today. Got there at 7:30 and left about 12:45. It was incredible cold and windy and I was bundled up like mummy. Rained till about 8:30 and then it stopped. Fished by dock A. Not to many people out there today. Saw two guys on the shore by me and 2 boats. Caught a 10" rainbow trout on char power eggs about 8:00 and 12" rainbow trout at about 11:00 on rainbow powerbait. I was freezing so I decided to try do some lure fishing. Had to get up and move around to get warm!!! Tried 3 Kast Off lures (Fred Meyers generic KastMasters) Lost a gold one on a bone head cast ... caught a Cormorant accidentally on the 2nd one a silver blue one. Not sure if he swallowed it or it caught a wing, but as I tried to get my knife out to cut the line he flapped his wings and broke the line. I felt bad but he seemed fine and continued to float around and dive for fish. Tried the 3rd silver one and caught 10-12" rainbow, but lost him at the shoreline after he snapped my line with a hard jump. Not a bad way to end the season at Hagg.

Last edited by a moderator:
L
LeftBank
Thanks for the writeup. Am hoping to get out there this weekend with the boy to get in one last trout trip for him. Realizing there's a 95% chance of crummy weather, we'll see if we can pull it off.

If we see a cormorant shed a Kast-off while we're out there, we'll know who to return it to. ;)

W
wormosa
well i am going to try it this sunday for the last hoorah... i am going to try trolling first and if that does not work i am going to plunk it with pb and worms....hell i guess i am a glutten for punishment

S
Shallowbay
Re: One more time before it closes!

Good luck. Hope you guys catch tons. The weather was miserable, but the fishing was worth it! As far as the cormorant ... that think came flying up out of the water like a pee-peed off pterodactyl. He can have the lure! :D

R
R6anton
same here I think Ill head out there one more time this weekend.... Im sure the weather will be challenging LOL:shock:

W
wormosa
Shallowbay said:
Good luck. Hope you guys catch tons. The weather was miserable, but the fishing was worth it! As far as the cormorant ... that think came flying up out of the water like a pee-peed off pterodactyl. He can have the lure! :D
ok bro what is a cormorant, i have not heard of these lol

C
cbrimhall
wormosa said:
well i am going to try it this sunday for the last hoorah... i am going to try trolling first and if that does not work i am going to plunk it with pb and worms....hell i guess i am a glutten for punishment

Hey wormosa, if you want any company from another glutten for punishment, I'd love to get out to Hagg one more time. I was there last week and caught one nice 16" brooder but I wanted more. It was the best trout dinner I'd had in a long time. Anyway, I'm not trying to barge in on anyone's trip but getting out in a boat is always better, and I always pitch in for gas and bait if needed. Let me know what you think.:)

W
wormosa
no problem cb... i will be there at 8 am, just so you know though, my boat is a 12 ft alum., with no top, i have seats, comfy ones too lol... bring raingear and no need to worry about gas and all that, i am going anyways and my motor does not use a lot of gas.... as for bait bring your own, like i said i want to troll first, if nothing is happening i will take a break and plunk it... i usually go out until about 2 00 pm...if this works let me know....you are more then welcome

Last edited:
C
cbrimhall
Sweet, that sounds great! I don't care what kind of boat you have, as long as it floats! Oh, which boat ramp are you going to launch from? I'll meet you there at eight.

W
wormosa
cbrimhall said:
Sweet, that sounds great! I don't care what kind of boat you have, as long as it floats! Oh, which boat ramp are you going to launch from? I'll meet you there at eight.
i think it is A, the one where the sheriff boats are parked in the summer...i usually go by myself so it would be good to have some company, but so you know, me personally i have been skunked the last 2 times lol, but i did not plunk it, i just trolled...

C
cbrimhall
The last few times I've gone out in a boat at Hagg I caught all my fish trolling. I use Luhr Jensen flashers and usually spinners, a crippled herring lure, or just a nightcrawler behind that. Last time I was there, multiple boats were hooking up out in the middle of the lake going towards the dam. Two weeks ago they stocked 1,000 brooders, although they may be gone by now. The great thing about Hagg is you have many species to choose from and most of them are quite tasty in the frying pan. I'll send you a PM with my number in case something comes up.

W
wormosa
cbrimhall said:
The last few times I've gone out in a boat at Hagg I caught all my fish trolling. I use Luhr Jensen flashers and usually spinners, a crippled herring lure, or just a nightcrawler behind that. Last time I was there, multiple boats were hooking up out in the middle of the lake going towards the dam. Two weeks ago they stocked 1,000 brooders, although they may be gone by now. The great thing about Hagg is you have many species to choose from and most of them are quite tasty in the frying pan. I'll send you a PM with my number in case something comes up.
i tried a luhr jensen and i did not have good luck, maybe you can give me pointers on it so when i go with my wife next year she will catch fish, my buddy uses just worms all the time and has a hay day with them...i usually troll with rapalas... but i am open to knowing more lol

Last edited:
S
Shallowbay
One more time before it closes!

Apparently you can't even remotely curse or the forum changes the lingo on you. Sorry forum. I tried to say.... that think came flying up out of the water like a p***ed off pterodactyl and it was changed to a pee pee pterodactyl, which actually is kinda funnier :D

Wormosa: A Cormorant is a pretty big cool looking water bird. That's the first time I had seen them out there. Don't know what type it was, but it looked similar to this picture.

W
wormosa
i agree with you, on the change, the word you intended to me does not sound bad, but hey i am not in charge lol... it is funnier now definetly