One little piggie

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Hit Hagg on Wednesday for a half day of fishing with the family. Weather started out great - not too hot, not too cold. Overcast. Great fishing weather. We were banking it like usual. I decided to change up my normal Hagg game - instead of starting out with crank baits or 3 inch senkos, I started out with a weightless 5 inch senko, wacky rigged.

About my fifth or so cast, I hooked up with this little piggie:

IPDlPbA.jpg

I am going to guess she was about 3 lbs - keeping in mind that I'm 6'4" and 290lbs. So far it's the best fish of the year, closely followed by my swimbait eating smallmouth from a month ago.

Had a few other hook ups and bites, but no other fish landed. Had a good chat with a fellow basser who cruised by in his kayak.

Kayak angler told me that per another fellow in a boat, with depth finder, the surface temp was 72 degrees. Water is getting kind of warm!

Weed growth is becoming a problem for my favored crankbait and worm presentations - the last spot we fished during the day I had to switch from Wacky to Texas rigging on the senko because I was hooking weeds every cast, and it's too weedy in the shallows for crank baits at this point for the same reason. We stayed out till 8PM and no top water bite materialized either, I was kind of bummed. Couldn't even get the bluegill to eat a small jig for the kiddo.

Next week I'm hitting up the coastal streams in search of cooler water and cutthroat, so it will probably be a couple weeks before I'm back at Hagg. Hopefully the train of decent fish keeps rolling when I do.

Shaun Solomon
Shaun Solomon
I was like "about 3 lbs, ha!" then I was like "Oh, 6'4", yeah, seems legit"

Good stuff man! I have only been out there once, and the water was way down. High water is good if you don't have electronics, makes finding fish a LOT easier.

cheers!

bass
bass
Good job GU. Thanks for the heads up on the water conditions. I have not been out to Hagg in over a month and it sounds like fish should be on a summer pattern.

portlandrain
portlandrain
I was out one week prior to when you were, before the 3 days of high heat and the water was already at 68.5. I got there just after sunrise. I caught 2 on a pop-r in the first hour before the sun came over the trees, and hooked into 4 more and caught 2 on some texas rigged yum dingers. Pretty productive for me.

The water is still high enough that tons of grass is still flooded. There's a nice spot back near scoggins creek that if you have a yak or canoe your going to get into some great fish. Not sure how you could access it from the bank though. Maybe a small area if you're up for some bush wacking.

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Shaun Solomon said:
I was like "about 3 lbs, ha!" then I was like "Oh, 6'4", yeah, seems legit"

Good stuff man! I have only been out there once, and the water was way down. High water is good if you don't have electronics, makes finding fish a LOT easier.

cheers!

lol I know - I make everything look tiny except Sasquatch, which is the nickname I was given by a bunch of coworkers. I've got pictures of other nice fish I've caught, but they all look like babies. I think I'd need a solid 10lb fish for people to say "might be 6" - maybe if I get skinny it'd help with the perception.

Here's a recycled steelhead I yanked out of Lost Lake last fall - measured in at 24 (or 26, would have to go back to my original post here about it to verify) inches.

oalRuKX.jpg

Here's the same fish laid out on top of a 104 quart cooler...

o2Jlwgb.jpg

What's really fun is when I run into folks and my mom is with me. She's not even 5 feet tall, and she reeally looks tiny next to me. She'd make my 3lb bass look like a solid 6 if you didn't know how short she was :D

Shaun Solomon
Shaun Solomon
I got a buddy who is really sawed off. Dude is like 5' and a whisker. Anyway, this cat can fish, and spends lots of time chasing fish of all kinds, all over the place. His pictures always look incredible! Hand that dude a ten pound wiper and he sorta disappears hahaha

Cheers man!