One down, four to go...

A
adambomb
I was supposed to go trout fishing today, had my tube and trout rod all packed up and ready to go when a buddy called and needed a ride to the doctor. The doctor's office was slammed so we didn't get out of there until almost 1 o'clock. With only half a day left I decided not to drive 60 miles to the lake, and instead to fish one of my favorite spots on the Molalla. I also opted not to go back home to pick up my steelhead rod, I thought to myself "why bother?, its not like I'm gonna catch one today anyway". I was wrong, so wrong. 6'6" 4-8lb trout rod + 8-10lb chrome native steelhead = OWNED!!! I would not call what happened between me and this fish a "fight", it was more of a one sided argument. I let it do what it wanted, when it wanted to, until IT decided it was ready to be landed. One quick picture, a few soft nothings, and he/she was swimming OFF quickly. This fish made every skunked day, every lost lure, every mile hiked, all worth it and more. My personal goal for 2010 is to catch a winter steelhead, spring chinook, summer steelhead, coho, and fall chinook. One down, four to go......:cool:

L
Left Bank
Nice one!!! That is one beautiful fish!!!

O
Orgwayne
Adambomb , I know what you mean about lost lure, walking up and down banks , but like you , yesterday a big old BAD looking steelhead gave me all I could muster for 10 mins, sure I let him go , but boy the FUN !!
Wayne

C
Cohosanders
:clap: Great job on the Molalla steely!!!!! I love that river and cannot wait to get more familiar with fishing it. Great place to bring the family and camp in the summer. Great looking fish and it looks like the wait was defi NATE ly worth it:lol:

B
bigsteel
good job man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!looks like we both had a great day

T
Thuggin4Life
Nice fish man. I might be able to help out with the fall chinook if you want to troll tidewater this fall.

F
FishAssassin
That would be a hen. Nice one and good job!

G
Growbug
Cohosanders said:
Great place to bring the family and camp in the summer.:
if you can find that square inch of land that doesn't have a tent or a mob of half naked teens drunk in the river.

Mr A Bomb..... hmm.. i could call you every name possible.. but you caught THE fish...

thats the only one in the molalla... glad you drop it back in... GRIN

S
skunk
Nice job adambomb, I'm still working on my first steelie. someday I hope.

troutdude
troutdude
Moral of the story...

Do a good deed for a friend, and you get a nice fish. I'd call that a "win - win scenario"!!!

D
dtikey
good job man...I really enjoy using light trout gear on small streams and rivers for nice native steelhead.Its such a blast and easier to manage in tight situations.Also lots easier to throw really lite gear.

A
adambomb
Thanks everybody, if I could do it over, I would have probably gone home to get my steelhead rod. That way I could have landed it faster, and caused it less stress. Now I know what it would feel like to rope a horse with a piece of dental floss!!

B
bigsteel
you said it all with this statement This fish made every skunked day, every lost lure, every mile hiked, all worth it and more.

F
FISHHEADMAFIA
adambomb said:
I was supposed to go trout fishing today, had my tube and trout rod all packed up and ready to go when a buddy called and needed a ride to the doctor. The doctor's office was slammed so we didn't get out of there until almost 1 o'clock. With only half a day left I decided not to drive 60 miles to the lake, and instead to fish one of my favorite spots on the Molalla. I also opted not to go back home to pick up my steelhead rod, I thought to myself "why bother?, its not like I'm gonna catch one today anyway". I was wrong, so wrong. 6'6" 4-8lb trout rod + 8-10lb chrome native steelhead = OWNED!!! I would not call what happened between me and this fish a "fight", it was more of a one sided argument. I let it do what it wanted, when it wanted to, until IT decided it was ready to be landed. One quick picture, a few soft nothings, and he/she was swimming OFF quickly. This fish made every skunked day, every lost lure, every mile hiked, all worth it and more. My personal goal for 2010 is to catch a winter steelhead, spring chinook, summer steelhead, coho, and fall chinook. One down, four to go......:cool:

I would say those are fine goals . And that is a fine fish , good move on the release . Some people dont see it that why . Good job young Jedi .

J
justNorthofya
adambomb said:
Thanks everybody, if I could do it over, I would have probably gone home to get my steelhead rod. That way I could have landed it faster, and caused it less stress. Now I know what it would feel like to rope a horse with a piece of dental floss!!

if you would have went home and got the "proper gear" you probably would have missed the fish...my first steelie was caught with trout gear ....haven't touched it since.

I would like to commend your thought of not stressing the fish as well as landing a nice one...bravo

N
nimzrock
Greetings my friend, You are on a quest and I was glad to have shared a day of it with you. Yes I lost my only fish so far this season that day but I gained a new friend. Good luck in the journey and have fun in alaska. By the way add shad fishing with an ultra light to your list.

L
lilsalmon
Good job!!!! Beautiful fish!!! and did I hear Alaska? Lucky you. :clap: