On budget kayak suggestion...

F
Fishermen Jim
So, I have a bug crawling about that insist on me getting a sea kayak. I could use some help in this area, having never owned a kayak. I have been reading NWKA (Northwest Kayak Anglers) forum, but wonder if anyone else has experience with Kayaks.

bass
bass
Fishermen Jim said:
So, I have a bug crawling about that insist on me getting a sea kayak. I could use some help in this area, having never owned a kayak. I have been reading NWKA (Northwest Kayak Anglers) forum, but wonder if anyone else has experience with Kayaks.

Hey Jim, I own and fish out of two kayaks. Although neither is a budget kayak I will gladly share what I have found out.

First question, do you want a sea kayak or a fishing kayak? Typically a sea kayak describes a very long, narrow, fast, efficient kayak that is great for paddling miles and miles but is not really set up for fishing. The most common type of kayak used in fishing is a sit on top kayak. These are kayaks that have a hull that traps air like a bobber and have a lot of storage inside the hull. If you are looking for a fishing kayak these would be my first choice.

As for a general purpose fishing kayak. I would look for a kayak that is at least 10' but preferably 12' or longer and is 28" wide or wider (wider = slower but more stable). If you are not a big person you can get away with a smaller kayak. Check the capacity before buying You can use a kayak like this on lakes, streams, rivers and even the ocean. I have not looked in a while, but Dick's used to sell one called an Eagle or something like that in Camo color that fit this bill and was often on sale.

If you are thinking about a used kayak then be very careful to check for leaks. Shining a flashlight inside the hull while looking at the outside can reveal cracks. Also, even if there is a crack and you can get it for free or cheap you can perform plastic welding (re-melting while adding a bit more material) to fix most issues.

Best of luck, feel free to ask any other questions.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
an important thing is that kayaks are like 'normal' boats- each one is suited best for certain water/weather/loading conditions each one will usually work to some extent in other situations, or not at all (for example, some are just not suited to ocean trips) ....so first define your main use and focus on yaks that are perfect for that, then you can compare costs....

are you looking mostly at inland waters or ocean trips?

cheers, roger

bass
bass
rogerdodger said:
an important thing is that kayaks are like 'normal' boats- each one is suited best for certain water/weather/loading conditions each one will usually work to some extent in other situations, or not at all (for example, some are just not suited to ocean trips) ....so first define your main use and focus on yaks that are perfect for that, then you can compare costs....

are you looking mostly at inland waters or ocean trips?

cheers, roger

Great point Roger. If you are going to be using the kayak under a certain set of conditions most of the time then you can find a model that is better tuned to that situation. That said, a 12', 30" wide kayak can be used in about any situation even though it may not be the best in many of them.

F
Fishermen Jim
Thank you for all the information. I would be mainly using it on the Willamette River near and around Albany, that being were I live, but I want to use a kayak in a variety of situations.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Jim-

here is some data that I posted on NWKA, basically a width/length ratio ranking for the Hobie kayaks, this might help you compare other brand kayaks-
--------------------------------
as the width to length ratio is one of the factors that helps determine kayak stability, speed/drag..etc...I was curious to check the Hobies to see how they compared:

Adventure: 0.14
Revo13: 0.18
Oasis: 0.19 (tandem)
Revo11: 0.21
Outfitter: 0.22 (tandem)
PA14: 0.23
Outback: 0.23
PA12: 0.25
Sport: 0.26
----------------------------

so I have a PA12 (12' long, 36" wide), and it is super stable, I can stand-up, move around, cast, it is great in boat wakes and wind waves/caps...but you don't want to get up on the side of a big ocean swell in it, it is wide enough that you could not lean in and stay upright. it goes just fine but is not fast, I normally pedal it at 2.5mph (easy all day speed) to 3.5mph (for 15min stretches...).

we also have an Oasis (14.5' long, 33" wide) that is faster with 1 person on it and would be easier to handle in swells but even better would be the Revo models.

as I see it, wider kayak feels more like a small boat and is great on lakes/rivers, narrower is better for surf launches and ocean swells...

Next Adventure is a great place to demo a range of kayaks and get a feel for yourself...cheers, roger