Old Mitchell Garcia spinning reels

T
TTFishon
I found a second hand store in a small town that has a bunch of these reels for sale. some were 20 dollars and some were thirty dollars. Does anyone know anything about these reels?

Irishrover
Irishrover
The older ones were good. I still have the one I that I got ovr 42 years ago at the Old GI Joes store on Union Ave. It is a Mitchell 300, also had a mitchell 302 saltwater and a Mitchell 406. The ones I have were made in France. You run across them at garage sales and second hand stores. I hate to pass a good one up when I see one just like I have a hard time passing up a good older Penn reel.

T
TTFishon
The store had 15 to 20 reels in a pile. I found a website that sells parts for these reels too. I'm going there today to get one and then refurbish it.

M
mikeredding
I used a Mitchell 300 for salmon and steelhead for years. Never failed me. I also bought a Mitchell 308 for trout. Same reel just scaled down a little.

1aB
Long time ago I went through M/G 350s, 410, 408, 406. They served me well but consider that they lacked:
1. Multi disc drags
2. Durable bail springs & anti-reverse dogs
3. Ball bearings
4. Even spool fill osciallation
I got to be pretty good at take downs since the moving parts wore out or broke so often.

Edit: forgot, since the spool was inset into the rotor housing the line had the occasional annoying tendency to get underneath the spool and tangled around the shaft.

Last edited:
M
mikeredding
But they were the King in their time.:clap:

1aB
M/Gs were certainly best available until Daiwa jumped in. The first Daiwas were "Made in Japan" junk but technical innovation soon put them on top - here in HI anyway. Now it appears Shimano is leader of the pack.

Irishrover
Irishrover
"forgot, since the spool was inset into the rotor housing the line had the occasional annoying tendency to get underneath the spool and tangled around the shaft." 1aB

Haha oh how I used to hate that! Then there would be grease on the line from the shaft. I forgot all about that;)

M
MrGrey1
Good O'l Mitchells..

Good O'l Mitchells..

Well, I have about seven of them and I use them all the time. I use 300A's as they are left handed. I also got salt water ones (not sure about the number, they are in the garage). For my money they are the best reels made. But I had some for over 40 yeras now. Love them for trout, walley, bass or even for pike, salmon and carps. Great all around reel. I also have a few shallow and deep spools so I can change lines anytime I like.

Remove one screw and greese it up! Is that easy. They are nice and fairly quite. Good reels. If you shop for them on eBay, read description and copmare picture!!! People don't know how to list them! They often sell "Lefties" but they are right handed reels.. This is a long time problem. Always Remember - for a lefty: Reel under the rod, handle on the left side! People list them the wrong way 80% of the time.

Happy Fishing..

H
Hawk
I still have & still use frequently my Mitchell 300/with spare spool/ i bought at Longs Drugstore back in about 1965 fer about $8.99.

It's a Good'UN..............................:D:D:D...............................:cool::cool::cool:........................................:clap::clap::clap:

i also hav 2 almost new Mitchell 300 Xe reels.............:)

H
halibuthitman
I think anytime you can put an old piece of gear back to work is a good deal, most of the new stuff is gimicky and not that great!:(

Reactions: bigsteel
S
susqwahanna
I have an old 1960's vintage Michell I put back in production. Great reel No BS!!

R
Razz
The OLDTIMERS that used spinning reels all used left hand handles THat's the only way the early 300 were made from France 1950's.

S
SNDSLGR
I have a very nice 300A with france stamped on the spool in a few places... Any way to date them? I just cleaned it up the other day, works great!

Reactions: bigsteel
T
tnffishman
i have an old mitchell baitcast that's broke, but i think i want to get it fixed, anyone know a place that does that

C_Run
C_Run
I got rid or my old Mitchell 300's but found three spools I don't want in a drawer. I'll give these to anyone who wants them on a first come, first served basis. They are one made-in France large spool in its plastic box from the late '60's and two made-in-China spools from the '90's. Just pm me and I will get them to you.