Old Fishin Rods

F
Fishtopher
After opening my big mouth about old rods in the Fly Fishing section, and having no fly rods, I had to put the photos to use somehow.
So, heres my "old" rods...

100_1748.jpg

100_1751.jpg

I have no idea about the one piece square rod (Cheiftan, also Wright and McGill), I got it from Gramps, along with the yellow one. Is Wright and McGill the original Eagle Claw? And why did someone come up with the great idea of square rod, and if it is square, would it really be a rod?......:think::lol:

Got the wood/bamboo(?) one from my friends Grandfather, and have no idea about it either, as it has no identifying marks.

Ok, I showed you mine....(you know how the rest goes:))

T
Timber
The old bamboo rod in the lower photo looks very similar to one I have. It was given to my dad when he was young and had already been used for years. No markings of any kind and it has the same type of handle as yours. It must be well over 100 years old. I also have another bamboo fly rod that he used back in the 40's. I guess they built them to last in those days.

D
Drew9870
Eagle Claw Featherlights are the best rod, they are like a whip.

I have a featherlight and I have no idea how I came about getting it, but it has to be my favorite rod, and I have many many rods, ancient rods, old rods, and new rods.

They are yellow and look like the Eagle Claw you posted, but they have a cork handle.

D
dude young
A&F "Banty 44"

A&F "Banty 44"

So here is mine. I got it from a buddy from PA. It was his grand-pap's, but he has no idea how old it is. I haven't ever come across anyone that can tell me anything about it. It has the original braided silk line on it. I have used it twice. Once in the yard to see how it casts. I completely unloaded the reel and can stretch the whole thing out in two roll casts. Then, once out on a lake, messing around for crappie/bluegill. Got a small gill on it, then broke the tippet off. I didn't tie any new tippet on, just tied on a lil' bugger and went to town.

I have never seen one like it. The rod is made by Abercromie & Fitch. Yeah that Abercrombie & Fitch. But, apparently, they were like LL Bean back in the day. The reel, by Hardy Bros. in London. It breaks down to less than 2 feet long and has a tube and tackle case that easily fit in a small pack. So, if anyone knows anything about it...

3779309230_973aa46e40.jpg

3778502835_7111e0cea6.jpg

3779310088_2912e80223.jpg

3779310836_61d20616e4.jpg

T
Troutier Bassier
Crap!
Abercrombie & Fitch?!?!?!

L
lizardman
St. Croix "Double Power" five weight fly rod two piece that is seven foot long and is a fiberglass rod. After calling St. Croix I am thinking of buying a new rod and putting this one on display as it is pristine with no tears in the manufacturer's label or frays in the thread holding the eyes on. Oh and they only made this rod one year.... in 1957

Ocean City model 77 fly reel

Shakespear auto retrieve fly reel

South Bend 8.5 foot fly rod that I broke right above the second farrell (where the middle piece fits into the bottom piece) and need to find someone who can repair. this is a bamboo rod

Shakespear 8.5 foot three piece fly rod that needs some new eyes, but is convertable to a regular fishing rod by reversing the handle and using the fishing rod tip that came with it. This is also a bamboo rod.

Spinners made by my grandfather out of old dimes he flattened and shaped.

Dave

D
dude young
Troutier Bassier said:
Crap!
Abercrombie & Fitch?!?!?!
You're just sore 'cause they don't make hippster skinny pink pants.

O
osmosis
HAHAHA!

Some cool rods guys, I have an old wright and mcgill also Fishtopher.

T
Troutier Bassier
I probably am. haha

Last edited: