Olallie Lake is open!!!

B
bigfootfish
Hi everyone. Been gone awhile. Thought I'd post a link for the new Olallie Lake Resort LLC. New owners who are cool!

Welcome - Olallie Lake Resort LLC

back with more later!

BFF

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Thanks for the info and the link. That is a beautiful area. Hope you're coming back with a report of huge fish being caught. lol

M
Matt G
OK, never been there but I'm looking for some good July camping and fishing on a high mountain lake. Can you pull a boat (13' aluminum) on a trailer to OIllalie or is the road too rough for that?

B
beaverfan
You could prolly get it in there. There are no motors allowed on the lake. The fishing is excellent! You will love it!

M
Matt G
Thanks beaverfan - I read that the lake warms up and fishing slows down in August, so if I can get up there before July is up I'll probably do it. My boat is light and - er - well loved enough that I don't mind pulling it over gravel service roads. Sounds like fun!

M
Metz84
The gravel roads to get up their are pretty well maintained. Its way beautiful there and the fishing is awesome.

L
lilsalmon
Welcome back BFF!!!!

N
n8r1
We hiked past Olallie Lake on Saturday, 6/26, and passed about a dozen people fishing. Every single one of them were pulling out nice sized rainbows. It was a beautiful day. Here's a shot I took of the lake with Mt Jefferson in the distance.

N
n8r1
Matt G said:
OK, never been there but I'm looking for some good July camping and fishing on a high mountain lake. Can you pull a boat (13' aluminum) on a trailer to OIllalie or is the road too rough for that?

You could easily get it there. The road leading in is a well maintained, gravel road. You could tow your boat in with a Yugo. :D

B
bigfootfish
You can also rent rowboats up at Olallie cheap. I rented a large one for half a day for 15 bucks. Just be aware that the SNOWMELT MOSQUITO HATCH is in full swing and these are HUGH bloodsuckers that can and will drill right through your clothing. So get some bug repellant that's at least 40% DEET and spray your hat and clothing too.

BFF

Thanks lilsalmon! Glad to be back!

M
Matt G
n8r1 said:
You could easily get it there. The road leading in is a well maintained, gravel road. You could tow your boat in with a Yugo. :D

Cool! Though I pull the boat with my 1974 International Scout II, V8. Little heftier than a Yugo! I don't even know the boat's back there. :D

E
eggs
I'll be up there next weekend! hopefully horseshoe is cleared!

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Kidney shaker road...

Kidney shaker road...

A well maintained gravel road??!! :shock: That would be awesome after the one trip Autofisher and I took to get up there from Detroit a couple of years ago. I am not sure,but I think we must have taken a very wrong turn! :doh: lol It was the roughest,bumpiest,scariest ride EVER!! :confused: The road was so littered with boulders of every size that we were forced to go slower than the dragon flies and chipmunks! :redface: I think the butterflies even passed us. :lol: I still want to go back and try again,even though after standing knee high in freezing water (no waders back then) watching our legs turn blue we never got a bite. :wall: The next time we go up we will be better prepared...

N
n8r1
You definitely went a different way in than we did last weekend. We went from Portland, through Estacada, then continued on HWY 224 to the Ripplebrook Ranger Station. From there we took Forest Road 46, turned on Road 4690 (this becomes the gravel road), turned Right on Road 4220, and followed that all the way to Olallie. Smooth sailing the entire way.

Raincatcher said:
A well maintained gravel road??!! :shock: That would be awesome after the one trip Autofisher and I took to get up there from Detroit a couple of years ago. I am not sure,but I think we must have taken a very wrong turn! :doh: lol It was the roughest,bumpiest,scariest ride EVER!! :confused: The road was so littered with boulders of every size that we were forced to go slower than the dragon flies and chipmunks! :redface: I think the butterflies even passed us. :lol: I still want to go back and try again,even though after standing knee high in freezing water (no waders back then) watching our legs turn blue we never got a bite. :wall: The next time we go up we will be better prepared...

E
eggs
yea you went the hard way, up past brittinbrush lake and on to a horrible road to horseshoe lake and then to olallie.. should have went past detroit and take 224 and up 46..

B
bigfootfish
There are actually three ways to get to Olallie by road. From Detroit take 46 to 4690 to 4220 to the lake. From Estacada take 224 which becomes 46 then take 4690 to 4220 to the lake. From Hwy. 26 take 42 to 4220 to the lake. The south end of 4220, or Skyline Road, meets with 46 at the Mt. Hood/Willamette National Forest Boundary, and that is the infamous BACKDOOR into Olallie, which requires a higher clearance vehicle. Four wheel drive is handy also. Cannot go in the backdoor yet as too much snow still on the road by Brientenbush Lake, which is Warm Springs land anyway.

BFF

M
Matt G
Good info BFF - thanks!

J
JeepsAreBuilt
I've been to that lake a long time ago, and I remember correctly.. there is no swimming allowed in Olallie lake. This got me thinking if float tubbing is allowed ?

I fished at horseshoe lake a couple years ago - its very nice up there. The road from Olallie to horseshoe was pretty rough and rocky.

O
OnTheFly
Float tubes and pontoon boats are allowed. I'm pretty sure the no swimming rule still stands but with two collapsed wells the lake is no longer the water source so what's the difference?

B
bigfootfish
OnTheFly said:
Float tubes and pontoon boats are allowed. I'm pretty sure the no swimming rule still stands but with two collapsed wells the lake is no longer the water source so what's the difference?

Actually, water is pumped out of Olallie uphill into a tank and it is treated and filtered as it gravity feeds down to the resort and the Paul Dennis campground. That's why no swimming is allowed at Olallie since it is everyone's drinking water source.

BFF