olallie lake ( gods country)

W
wormosa
ok i have been fishing olallie 3 times now and the first time i caugh ZERO lol and the 2nd time i caught 1 trout and the 3rd time i caught 1 again, it is the most amazing place i ever been, does anyone who has been there have any tips to catch the bigger trout or more haha... i have tried all the bait i believe ( worms,potzkies eggs,shrimp,powerbait ( rainbow,yellow,salmon color),corn) i want a 4 lb trout or bigger.... any suggestions would be great

H
hydedrifter
Black rooster tails. cast, let em sink to the bottom and reel up slow. stay near the shoreline and fish the shelf or drop off.

Good luck. Its my favorite lake.

W
wormosa
i am going there this sunday again, i was there last sunday, what kind off weight would you suggest? i have not tried the rooster tails or panther martins... i have tried trolling units with a wedding ring but i guess i am not tying it correctly, it tangles up 9 out of 10 times and very frustrating... i seem to love that there is not a lot of boats their, i usually stay close to the edge, i usually fish to the right ( about the corner) of the boat launch, caught both my trout there, great fighters, i loved it, i have been fishing in 18 to 22 feet of water .... thanks for the info....

F
fishin_fool
You might try 1/6th or 1/8th I've always had the best luck with that size for bigger trout. Good luck and row row row

Reactions: wormosa
Y
youngbuck307
Brother-in-law pulled out your 4lb fish like 3 weeks ago sorry lol. U know they are in there its just a matret of time befor you hook up with one.

M
Markcanby
I stayed there a week about this same time of year a couple years back never a bit. Tried every last thing in my box an its a big box! On the last night I was there Found an old fly stuck in the corner of my tackle box had no Fly rod but what the hell.
limited out in about 45 min all 16 to 20 inch.

W
wormosa
the first time i was there i rowed my *ss off and caught nothing like i said, second time i anchored and the 3rd time i anchored and then drifted and caught the 1. I threw out a fly last time i was there, i used a bobber and did not weight it down, and nothing, how would you guys suggest doing it with a fly?

M
Markcanby
I had a Adam's if I remember right they were rising an I just cast it close an wait a min. Wish I had my fly rod but it worked.

H
hydedrifter
Just remember the color black. Anything black and fuzzy. Buggers, Roostertails, ect....

T
Troutier Bassier
Goin fishin in Gawds Country.

W
wormosa
ok i got skunked at olallie today... tried the black furry things, i got 1 bite and i missed it.... oh well, thanks for all the help you guys...

C
capblack
most fish are caught by slow trolling dry flys way back nothing else. Or spoons from the bank. as far as which one, try them all. good luck, Brian

C
chrishophoto
wormosa said:
ok i have been fishing olallie 3 times now and the first time i caugh ZERO lol and the 2nd time i caught 1 trout and the 3rd time i caught 1 again, it is the most amazing place i ever been, does anyone who has been there have any tips to catch the bigger trout or more haha... i have tried all the bait i believe ( worms,potzkies eggs,shrimp,powerbait ( rainbow,yellow,salmon color),corn) i want a 4 lb trout or bigger.... any suggestions would be great

I just go back from there, and I caught the largest fish I have ever hooked!

26" 7 1/2 pounds, on 6lb test with a 1/4 Kastmaster.

I was the guy in the orange canoe, screaming "Oh my God!" sometime around 6:30 this evening.

Yahoo!:dance::dance::dance:

Last edited by a moderator:
T
Troutier Bassier
Man Tell me,
What kind of Reel and Line is that?!
It Looks AMAZING

Nice fish though,
1 Inch away from my record.

C
chrishophoto
Troutier Bassier said:
Man Tell me,
What kind of Reel and Line is that?!
It Looks AMAZING

Nice fish though,
1 Inch away from my record.

Reel is Tica, and the line is nothing special; "First String" I think. I swear by Kastmasters though.

W
wormosa
man chris i am seriously jealous lol ... i was there at 7 am this morning and stayed until noon, i got frustrated and went to elk lake.... ok what is a kastmaster? i saw a orange canoe today on the lake, i was in a 12 white alum and i was anchored to the right of the launch, very nice catch !!!:clap::clap::clap:

C
chrishophoto
wormosa said:
man chris i am seriously jealous lol ... i was there at 7 am this morning and stayed until noon, i got frustrated and went to elk lake.... ok what is a kastmaster? i saw a orange canoe today on the lake, i was in a 12 white alum and i was anchored to the right of the launch, very nice catch !!!:clap::clap::clap:

Yup, That was me. I was camping there for five nights. I had bad luck in the morning, took a break, and then got back in the water around five in the evening. I caught the big one near the center of the lake.

A Kastmaster is sort of like a spoon. They sell them at Freddy's, and I tend to use the gold ones.

W
wormosa
so you were trolling or did you just let it sink to the bottom and then reel slowly?? anything on the hook
( worm, powerbait) ?

W
wormosa
one more question... how did that ol boy fight? that had to be a kick in the pants

C
chrishophoto
wormosa said:
so you were trolling or did you just let it sink to the bottom and then reel slowly?? anything on the hook
( worm, powerbait) ?

When I caught this one, I was anchored, and casting. I don't like messing with bait, so it was pure hardware. I did let it sink a bit before reeling it in.

When I hooked it, it took me a little while before I realized that it was a huge fish. Pretty much felt like reeling up a large branch, except it could swim away and strip out my line at will, which it did several times. I took my time and carefully played the fish, to tire it out, and it probably took about five minutes, before I got my hands on it.

I don't have a net, and I was really worried it would break off when I tried to handle it, so I made sure it was good and tired before I tried.

I was definitely glad I had switched to six pound test earlier in the day from the four pound line I normally use.