Olallie July 13-14

L
Left Bank
I showed up Tuesday about 7am but found that the store that also rents the boats didn’t open until 8 so I grabbed a bite to eat and got my poles rigged. Their small row boats are adequate for 1-2 people (3 if there is a small child I would guess) and only cost $25 a day. Since I was up there for two days I asked the very nice gentleman to let me keep it overnight at my camp spot if I paid for two days. He was a little reluctant but decided to bend the rules so I could get the next morning’s early bite. I headed down the east side trying a few different lures, wedding rings, etc with no bites whatsoever. So I took the time to find a lakeside spot over at Camp 10 campground. I walked over (about a mile) to the store to get my rig then set up the tent and at a good lunch before heading back out. My new choice of hardware proved to be exactly what these rainbows were after. I immediately caught one then another going up the western bank and knew the games were just beginning. The wind had picked up but was still manageable. I even took a break from the rowing for an hour or two at a few spots and continued to catch them but not at the rate while trolling. At 8pm I finally got back to get some dinner. As long as I had on decent DEET the skeeters and knats were more of a nuisance except when heating up a meal. They swarmed like crazy on my beef stroganoff (Mountain House has the best freeze dried meals I’ve ever tasted, mmmmm) so I jumped in my car to eat in peace. I planned to head back out but had a headache so I stupidly jumped in the tent to get some sleep. The neighbors were partying like it was 1999 until they passed out at 10:30. Also, there was a group over in the Peninsula campground that were obviously having a great celebration that involved showing off a Harley until I finally feel asleep at midnight. I didn’t cause a stir because I knew they were having a good time and I probably would have been doing the same if I wasn’t so tired with a throbbing head.
Wednesday, I was “rudely” awakened by the sound of fish jumping just after 4am. I was amazed that it was beginning to get light so I got up (it was 39 degrees, burrrrr) got a quick bite with coffee and on the boat by 4:45. No wind, no sound at all except the morning birds and fish jumping. Oh, and me catching quite a few again. Then, like clockwork, as soon as the sun shown on the lake from behind the mountain at 8 the wind really kicked into high gear. I tied the boat about half way up the western side and caught a few more until 11. It looked like the wind wouldn’t die down so I rowed over to the dock and turned the boat in (caught a couple more on the way right out in the middle of the lake).
Overall, I C&R’d 33 beauties that were all 10-14 inches. What was I using did you ask??? Black/green wedding ring with a worm behind a chrome trolling rig. On the other pole I just had a black/chrome rooster tail. Both were very productive.
I didn’t get many pics because it was hard enough rowing with 2 poles but factor in the wind and it kept me busy : ) Here’s a few that I was able to take:

T
Thuggin4Life
Nice report! Nice fish! Nice pics! Looks like a cool lake to fish. Glad you had fun. And I told you silver was the better color!

T
TTFishon
Looks like a killer trip. Thanks for sharing.

L
Left Bank
You got me : ) Anyone who's fished with me always notices how I steer away from silver. Brass is always my favorite but obviously these darn fish at Olallie disagreed with me : )

E
eggs
That is the same exact camp spot we camped at this past weekend! Those were my chew cans in the firepit!

M
Moe
Nice fish and report!

L
lilsalmon
You picked the best campsite.....those same people on the peninsula were partying when we were there...dang...hehe....glad you got into a lot of fishys...you beat me. I can't wait to go back.

L
Left Bank
eggs said:
That is the same exact camp spot we camped at this past weekend! Those were my chew cans in the firepit!

Too funny!!! Great camp spot wasn't it? Did you happen to loose a red pole holder?

L
Left Bank
lilsalmon said:
You picked the best campsite.....those same people on the peninsula were partying when we were there...dang...hehe....glad you got into a lot of fishys...you beat me. I can't wait to go back.

Yea, I didn't think that crowd on the peninsula was ever going to go to sleep. Oh well, I'm glad they had a good time though.
That was probably the most trout that I've gotten into in a LONG time.

B
bigsteel
hey was that pole holder a real short one,,,i think lilsalmon left it by the lake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! excellent pics sounds like a great trip~~~~~~~~~~

L
Left Bank
bigsteel said:
hey was that pole holder a real short one,,,i think lilsalmon left it by the lake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! excellent pics sounds like a great trip~~~~~~~~~~

Yea, it was still stuck in the ground by the lake and I had to move it to pull the boat up. I took it home since I don't like to see stuff just lying around. If lilsalmon want's it I'll be more than happy to send it her way.

L
lilsalmon
:lol: :lol: Thats my $2 holder....the one I said I have to remember to not leave it there...not used to using pole holders but I'm not too worried about it...thanks for picking up my "debris" I am anxious to go back there as it is a beautiful place to camp and fish.

E
eggs
yea that spot is perfect if you have a boat to bank.... we launched my driftboat from that campsite!!!

L
Left Bank
lilsalmon said:
:lol: :lol: Thats my $2 holder....the one I said I have to remember to not leave it there...not used to using pole holders but I'm not too worried about it...thanks for picking up my "debris" I am anxious to go back there as it is a beautiful place to camp and fish.

If I ever run into ya you'll get it back. Maybe we can meet up sometime if we're ever fishing the same area.

L
lilsalmon
Left Bank said:
If I ever run into ya you'll get it back. Maybe we can meet up sometime if we're ever fishing the same area.

Sounds like a winner....guard that holder with your life :lol: