Olallie closed due to fire!

L

lilsalmon

That sucks...I finally get my two boys together at the same time......we were going to go up there wednesday....grrrrrrr

E

eggs

Boooo I was up there just last weekend.. and the one before and before andd..well you know... hope the few shaded campgrounds don't burnup.. view lake is a bit south.. based on winds there the fiire should burn west to Monon lake where there is already a burn out..

Last edited:
M

Mattdm22

That sucks! We were planning another trip up there too! If the fire reaches Monon we are really screwed. All that deadwood will go up like paper.. :(

E

eggs

I bet it will burn pass or put out by next weekend... Rose.. Wenesday might be too soon

L

lilsalmon

I bet it will burn pass or put out by next weekend... Rose.. Wenesday might be too soon

Already canceled the camping trip....booohoooo was looking forward to trying out the toon...still sitting in the garage :(

S

Sinkline

Last edited:
E

eggs

just got a report that the fire crossed the road and is burning into penisula campground area.. I don't know how far north it has burned or if Camp 10 has gone up in flames..

L

Left Bank

Man, that sucks!!! I was planning another trip soon. Oh well, hope it'll change directions.

Raincatcher

Raincatcher

Less than 50 feet from the Santiam River! :)
Change directions? Where would you like it to go? How about OUT...Years ago the kids and I were visiting Crater Lake and as we were leaving we were told to just drive at a steady pace and stay on the road. ??? After a few miles and a few curves I found out why,the forest was on fire. Animals racing everywhere,luckily in the same direction we were going. Hot and smokey,couldn't breathe and could barely see the road because the fire was on both sides. It took about an hour but we finally got clear of it without any more than sore throats and burning eyes. I still can't believe they told us it was okay to drive through it!
Any volunteer fire fighters here? Seems like with the unemployment so high and fires so big the state would put the two together and solve a lot of problems.

B

bigfootfish

I was up there when the fire which burned most of Monon and part of Peninsula Campground started up from lightning. This would be a sad event for all concerned if the new fire takes it's toll.

NWCC :: NWCC Home

BFF

B

bigfootfish

I know many of us love to spend time up there, lets hope it doesn't burn to the ground! (even though it would probably end up for the better)

Now that's a really completely off-the-wall remark, beaverfan. "even though it probably end up for the better" is almost like saying it would be better if it all burned down to the ground. Nicely said, bf.

BFF

B

beaverfan

The forest around Olallie has been desperately needing a good burn for years. There is far too many downed and dead trees. People need to get over the fact that forest fires are not always a bad thing! They improve the health of the forest drastically! In fact several species of trees need forest fires to reproduce!

B

beaverfan

Yes I was actually just going to edit my post to include that I am all for evacuating everyone outta there and do all they can to protect the structures. There is a lot of history there and it would be a shame to lose it but the forest could benefit from a good burn.

B

bigfootfish

Most everyone knows how mankind has screwed up the health of the forests by putting out fires. Certain species of trees need fire to reproduce, as beaverfan has said. It would be a terrible thing if everything up at Olallie burned. View Lake is only about a quarter mile due west of Monon. The potential for the complete destruction of Olallie Lake's forest and old structures is quite high. I got to spend the whole summer up there one year and really hiked all over and got to know the area closely. It is a jewel of Oregon. If the worst happens, then years down the road the forest would recover, and be healthier. However, the fire that burned part of Peninsula, Monon and then burned due east into Warm Springs wiping out thousands of acres of Old Ponderosa Pine(much of it killed by beetle)burned so HOT that it is slow to recover.
The old Taylor Burn down by Waldo Lake burned so hot that small lakes were BOILED DRY and the ground was so scorched that there are still large areas of the Taylor Burn where nothing has grown yet, even after 40 years.
It would be a great loss if Olallie burns.

BFF

B

bigfootfish

Well, a fire inside the Mt. Jeff Wilderness made a run to the northwest, increasing the size of the fire at Olallie. It's now doubled almost. Darn. Let's all say some prayers for our FireFighters up there and everywhere.

BFF

B

bigfootfish

Olallie smoke plume...

Olallie smoke plume...

I just looked at the sat images for Oregon and it shows the smoke plume going up from Olallie, plus another one to the South. Dang.:(

BFF

B

beaverfan

Actually according to Mark Nelsen from KPTV there are actually three fires. Here is a quote from his site about this image. The middle of the three is the one near Olallie Lake.

"There are actually 3…the top is in the Bull of the Woods Wilderness (I think that’s the name). The middle is the same complex, but just south of Ollalie Lake (at least on the radar). That one has suddenly blown up the last two hours. The southernmost one is the Scott Mtn. fire near McKenzie Pass."

Here's a nice timelapse showing the Olallie fire taking OFF.
http://sat.wrh.noaa.gov/satellite/loopsat.php?wfo=pqr&area=west&type=vis&size=1

B

bigfootfish

Actually according to Mark Nelsen from KPTV there are actually three fires. Here is a quote from his site about this image. The middle of the three is the one near Olallie Lake.

"There are actually 3…the top is in the Bull of the Woods Wilderness (I think that’s the name). The middle is the same complex, but just south of Ollalie Lake (at least on the radar). That one has suddenly blown up the last two hours. The southernmost one is the Scott Mtn. fire near McKenzie Pass."

Here's a nice timelapse showing the Olallie fire taking OFF.
http://sat.wrh.noaa.gov/satellite/loopsat.php?wfo=pqr&area=west&type=vis&size=1

Yeah, Mark Nelsen got it right. Nicely done, beaverfan. The last big fire at Olallie which burned around most of Monon and grazed parts of Peninsula smouldered near Monon for three days, before it took off and crossed over into Warm Springs eventually burning up tons of beetle-killed ponderosa pine. I was carrying totes from my rig into our yurt(first time in a yurt)when the lightning bolt sizzled over my head(parallel to the ground!) with seven forks branching off which started seven different fires. The Olallie Staff rushed out and put out the four closest ones and by the time they got those snuffed the Forest Service Fire Crews showed up to nail the others. Except for a small one near Monon. Well, the Monon one took off two to three days later(when the lightning bolt went over my head whilst carrying totes into the yurt, which the following thunderclap almost drove me to my knees, it was LOUD, a Forest Service Ranger came by minutes later just as smoke started to drift through my yurtsite, and he asked us to make a voluntary evac, which we did) and we had evacuated to a Detroit motel and ended up at Tule Lake. We left Tule and drove around a corner and saw Mt. Jefferson and the smokeplume from the Monon fire which had just gone BOOM. The plume looked like a small atom bomb had gone off. I got a pic somewhere of that plume, I'll see if I can find it. All in all it was exciting and scary as all heck.
Darn! I didn't have my digital camera back then, but I took some 35mm pics of the plume. As soon as I can find them I'll scan 'em and post them.
One thing for sure, beaverfan, the fire potential at Olallie is extreme. The first time I used flint & steel to start a campfire was up at Olallie. I pulled some of that very thick moss off a tree(we all know about that amazing moss!), put it in the fire-ring and two zaps of sparks from the steel/flint made it BURST into flames, almost like gasoline was poured on it. Amazing that was. My respect for Mama Nature went through a major revamp after that. Well, what happens at Olallie will happen. Good almost always comes after bad. I hope the good, if Olallie burns up, doesn't take 50 years.:pray:

BFF