Olalla Reservoir bass

brandon4455
brandon4455
my granpa just came over for a bit and invited me to go fish olalla with him for bass once the weather gets better about two weeks or so) he said a friend of his from works catches big sm and lm bass out of there all the time so this will be our first trip there. if anybody wants to meet us out there let me know and i will update this thread once i find out the date we are going. we wil be in a little john boat using a trolling motor. i believe it's electric only there right? i hope to pull one of those monsters out of there i have heard tales about

Last edited by a moderator:
B
Bad Tuna
Olalla, the one near Newport? I'm not aware of any small mouth in there.

B
Bad Tuna
Fair enough, honestly I still have to doubt smallmouth. The Siletz story makes no sense. One of those I'll believe it when I see it things, no offense.

Good luck out there!

brandon4455
brandon4455
Bad Tuna said:
Fair enough, honestly I still have to doubt smallmouth. The Siletz story makes no sense. One of those I'll believe it when I see it things, no offense.

Good luck out there!

it's all good. i know there is no solid proof but there is a chance. none taken. and thanks i hope to get a solid 4lb fish

R
RunWithSasquatch
Yeah im wondering about the siletz thing my self. I wouldnt doubt theres bass in Ollala though.

C
Combat Chuck
I havent been there in a couple years... I really need to get over there. Are you going on a weekend? Id give it a try.

brandon4455
brandon4455
Combat Chuck said:
I havent been there in a couple years... I really need to get over there. Are you going on a weekend? Id give it a try.

i think so. ill send you a message when i find out for sure according to that thread graphitezen has caught some ncie bass in there and seen some monsters and hooked em. so it's definitely worth a try. i'm probably gunna pitch jigs and plastics 99% of the time and maybe whip a few flies around.

brandon4455
brandon4455
RunWithSasquatch said:
Yeah im wondering about the siletz thing my self. I wouldnt doubt theres bass in Ollala though.

up at the flats in the old lake bed i have caught largemouth on spinners while cutthroat fishing. it was where the lilly pads are in the slack water. so it's definitely a possibility. didn't get any smallies though

R
RunWithSasquatch
Yeah, Im sure they were up there, since it was a very large lake for a long time. I just wonder why Valsetz was the origin for the bass in Ollala.

troutdude
troutdude
I have fished @ Olalla for 25 or maybe 30 years. There once was a diversion culvert that ran from the Valsetz Lake (now drained), down and into Olalla.

There was just about every kind of fish imaginable in Valsetz (even a run of steel or salmon and a run of blue backs through that lake and into the tribs). A few different species of fish wound up in Olalla. Blue backs, btw, still run all of the way up Olalla Creek to the base of the dam. (But the creek is CLOSED to fishing).

So, it is NO B.S., there ARE bass in Olalla. There are confirmed cases of peeps bagging bucketmouths. But, I've not personally heard of any smallies (although it's possible). There are also yellow perch and bluegill's too.

Last edited:
brandon4455
brandon4455
troutdude said:
There once was a diversion culvert that ran from the Valsetz Lake (now drained), down and into Olalla. There was just about kind of fish imaginable in Valsetz. Many of them wound up in Olalla. So, it is NO B.S., there ARE bass in Olalla. There are confirmed cases of peeps bagging bucketmouths. But, I've not personally heard of any smallie (although it's possible). There are also yellow perch and bluegill's too.
i know there is largemouth, the debate was whether there are smallies. i looked into some old ifish stuff and a guy said he got his personal beast largemouth in there on a jig (7.5lbs!) ithey are in there for sure. thanks for letting us in on that info jay

R
RunWithSasquatch
Neat info. I wouldnt have doubted it before hand.

troutdude
troutdude
You're welcome. I wouldn't have known that stuff, except that my dad and grandpappy were loggers. Old time loggers knew a lot about that kind of stuff. I never got a chance to fish Valsetz. The PTB's back in the 70's I think, decided to pull the plug and drain it out. My dad and uncle had LOTS of stories about awesome fishing trips to Valsetz!

BTW, I have 2 very detailed books about Oregon fishing. They both list Largemouth as a specie found in Olalla. But neither of them list smallies.

R
RunWithSasquatch
It just doesn't get the attention for anything but stockers and surplus steelhead.

brandon4455
brandon4455
this is the same case with the areas colby fishes down south. it has great cover an everything needed for a bass and they stock it with trout. they are getting fat on the stockers. i'm thinking about picking up a few swimbaits and going colby pearson on their asses ROFL.

I
ICamel49
Diversion Culvert from Valsetz to Olalla

Diversion Culvert from Valsetz to Olalla

troutdude said:
There once was a diversion culvert that ran from the Valsetz Lake (now drained), down and into Olalla.

The only outlet from Valsetz Lake is to the Siletz River. All other points surrounding Valsetz Lake have a minimum elevation rise of at least 100 feet, not to mention all the other ups and downs between Valsetz and Olalla. How did they run a diversion culvert/canal uphill? They would have had to also run a diversion canal uphill from any point on the Siletz River to access Olalla, which would have provided the best access, but also required pumping water a minimum of 300 feet in elevation. Check out a good topographic map if you don't believe me.

brandon4455
brandon4455
by the way, if anyone goes you will be able to notice us, we will be launching from a makeshift trailer thats a board with carpet over it. small boat with a trolling motor

B
Bassdad54
Big largemouth

Big largemouth

There is for sure largemouth bass there.I have caught a few and there is also some very big bass in there.One my biggest ever had on just didn't get into boat before she came off.Nice and electirc motor only so never any jetskies to worry about.

brandon4455
brandon4455
Bassdad54 said:
There is for sure largemouth bass there.I have caught a few and there is also some very big bass in there.One my biggest ever had on just didn't get into boat before she came off.Nice and electirc motor only so never any jetskies to worry about.

sweet! makes me even more excited to fish this place. pitching plastics and jigs all day long!!