Olalla Res.

N
nyersa
Went to Olalla last night for an hour or so, caught 5 little smallmouth in about 45 minutes using a worm on the bottom, and a couple more in the last 15 minutes using power bait eggs when I got sick of rebaiting worms on the hook. Few good sized hits but I missed em, maybe next time :)

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
Errr what? Do you mean Ollalie? Because if I didn't know there were smallies in Olalla this whole time...

troutdude
troutdude
There have been smallies and, I believe, bucket mouths in Olalla (by Toledo) for many years. They came down from the old Valsetz logging dam/reservoir a long time ago. They have inhabited Olalla for years now.

troutdude
troutdude
nyersa said:
Went to Olalla last night for an hour or so, caught 5 little smallmouth in about 45 minutes using a worm on the bottom, and a couple more in the last 15 minutes using power bait eggs when I got sick of rebaiting worms on the hook. Few good sized hits but I missed em, maybe next time :)

Nice job. But, that sure is a long way to go for only an hour of fishing time.

You really ARE a fishing addict like me, huh?

T
Thuggin4Life
NIce!

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
troutdude said:
There have been smallies and, I believe, bucket mouths in Olalla (by Toledo) for many years. They came down from the old Valsetz logging dam/reservoir a long time ago. They have inhabited Olalla for years now.

There are some HUGE largemouths in Olalla I have hooked into a few myself. Smallies I had no idea. I also hear there are Perch and Kokes!

troutdude
troutdude
GraphiteZen said:
There are some HUGE largemouths in Olalla I have hooked into a few myself. Smallies I had no idea. I also hear there are Perch and Kokes!

I've been fishing there for well over 20 years. I've never seen anything but trout, steelhead (surplus--and LOTS of 'em sometimes), and heard about bass. I've never seen any perch. And I doubt that is deep enough or cold enough for kokes. In fact, I know of no coastal lakes that hold any Kokes. But, maybe there are some (maybe even in Olalla)...I just ain't never seen or even heard of any.

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
I know there are LM bass. I have seen some huge ones hooked some huge fish and caught a few moderate sized fish. There are definitely some nice trout!

N
nyersa
Yea was a bit of a drive from cornvallie but hey I needed a break and there wasn't anyone else around so I had the place to myself. Diddnt see hide nor hair (nor scale) of a trout when I was there, but maybe I was in the wrong spot... I wouldnt be surprised :p

Alex

troutdude
troutdude
I've only seen trout and steelies caught, while I've been there. So, maybe we can swap our secret spots. We'll both catch some trout AND some bass!

The stringer that I brought home in Feb. was awesome. One 'bow was a fat 15", two nice 16's, and also two nice 17 inchers! And one of th 17's, I'd guess, was pushing 3 pounds. It was PLUMP around the middle! :)

N
nyersa
Haha, sounds good to me, I think I would take your 17" trout over my 10" bass ANY DAY :p

troutdude
troutdude
But, I thought you'd get a 10" 'bow, and I'd bag a 17" smallie! LOL

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
If you have boats I can show you to the 'strip'.

D
davidb
Greetings all, I have fished Olalla since the mid 80's. There are planter rainbows, Surplus Steelhead from the Siletz, yellow perch, brown bullheads and Largemouth bass ( I have a 4 pounder hanging on my wall from there). I have caught all of these species in this lake. As for Kokanee, don't think so. Also don't believe there are Smallmouth. The lake is too warm to support these 2 species. As for the Valsetz dam, it was on the headwaters of the Siletz, 40 miles to the north. I am betting they were young largemouth that you caught??

troutdude
troutdude
Welcome to the forum.

I have fished Olalla for appx. the same amount of time. I love that place. I've even seen bald eagles there a few times. (Osprey too, of course).

My last trip there, I only caught a 16" 'bow. But, back in Feb. I had a blast! I had a NICE stringer of big 'bows. And I watched a dude reel in a 30" steelie w/ 4 lb. test & and Ultralite rod. :)

I may head back there in late August or Early-ish September. Hope to see you there sometime.

M
michigan_transplant
where do they target bass and what do they use?? i have been there a couple times and have no problem finding the trout but have never really targeted the bass.

last time i was there a guy was fishing for perch and said it was really slow.

troutdude: when you go in august/september are you going to target bass or trout??

troutdude
troutdude
I'll target trout, out in the deeper water in the channel from my tube.

D
davidb
The large Bass I caught was up in the shallows in April, spawning. I use plastic worms Texas rigged (lots of wood in the lake). Once the water warms up the fish go deep and hide in the wood. Hit the shallow coves in the spring to catch the big ones.

I
ICamel49
Things that make you wonder.............

Things that make you wonder.............

troutdude said:
They came down from the old Valsetz logging dam/reservoir a long time ago.
Must have migrated in a bucket:whistle:

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
There are also some very large catfish. I know this is true as I have seen them along the bottom on my sonar, I have also spoken with the very individual who claimed to have dumped them back in the 70s or early 80s ore something... :lol:

There are some VERY large bass in Olalla. I have hooked them myself. ;) A poster on another thread made the claim that there are smallmouth there... I don't think that this is true.