olalla on monday

brandon4455
brandon4455
my grandpa said if it's not raining we are going to olalla in his boat. if anyone wants to meet us out there just shoot me a message and we could work out a meeting point on the reservoir. ill be mainly fly fishing for trout but ill chuck some gear for bass.

M
michigan_transplant
good luck. thats one of my favorite lakes.

troutdude
troutdude
Don't bother buddy...I'll have it all fished out on Friday! (j/k) :lol: :lol: :lol:

But seriously, send me a PM.

D
Drew9870
Keep it simple, Worm with no weight if you're not fly fishing, atleast for the Trout.

A free falling worm is just asking to get eaten, I have caught big (18-24'') native Trout out of a Gravel Pit (Let's just say it is not open to the public) that gets 120ft deep fishing a weightless worm from shore, using a full worm on a size 1 Owner, you can cast a pretty good distance with 6lb Maxima UG, I could usually hit about 40-60ft (water depth) considering the pit drops off like a staircase, even weightless Breadballs. Big, healthy natives that always go back, I personally don't like Trout, so all go back unless hatchery, no matter how you prepare a Trout, it still tastes like a G**-Damn Trout :lol:.

I use this method in the coastal lakes I fish, and any other place like Crane Prairie that holds healthy Trout.

Last edited:
brandon4455
brandon4455
Drew9870 said:
Keep it simple, Worm with no weight if you're not fly fishing, atleast for the Trout.

A free falling worm is just asking to get eaten, I have caught big (18-24'') native Trout out of a Gravel Pit (Let's just say it is not open to the public) that gets 120ft deep fishing a weightless worm from shore, using a full worm on a size 1 Owner, you can cast a pretty good distance with 6lb Maxima UG, I could usually hit about 40-60ft considering the pit drops off like a staircase, even weightless Breadballs. Big, healthy natives that always go back, I personally don't like Trout, so all go back unless hatchery, no matter how you prepare a Trout, it still tastes like a G**-Damn Trout :lol:.

ill have to try that out. thanks for the tips drew. :D id stop by and pick you up for the trip if the boat was suitable for 3 people :/

D
Drew9870
You already know my plans for the weekend :D, I think I'd be way too out of energy for that ;).

Talk to your pops about going to Siltcoos lake during the end of August, we go there every year for an annual Perch Tournament (my Gramps usually takes 1st lol), last year the Sea-Runs were just everywhere around the fishing docks. Very boat friendly, Bass and Panfish have been p*** poor since the flood of 96, but they can be found, Bass are making a come back.

I'll probably be at Siltcoos on the 17th, I'll let you know how it ends up, in PM of course :D, I think Siltcoos and Ollala are two different lakes, lol, so heres the thread back :D.

brandon4455
brandon4455
Drew9870 said:
You already know my plans for the weekend :D, I think I'd be way too out of energy for that ;).

Talk to your pops about going to Siltcoos lake during the end of August, we go there every year for an annual Perch Tournament (my Gramps usually takes 1st lol), last year the Sea-Runs were just everywhere around the fishing docks. Very boat friendly, Bass and Panfish have been p*** poor since the flood of 96, but they can be found, Bass are making a come back.

I'll probably be at Siltcoos on the 17th, I'll let you know how it ends up, in PM of course :D, I think Siltcoos and Ollala are two different lakes, lol, so heres the thread back :D.

i forgot about your plans LOL my bad. i have already mentioned siltcoos, and we will be makign trips there and to tahkenitch this year, ill have to meet you out there sometime. nail some sea runs on my 4wt bahaha

troutdude
troutdude
Drew9870 said:
Big, healthy natives that always go back, I personally don't like Trout, so all go back unless hatchery,

Am I reading that you keep the hatchery trout, but toss the rest back?

D
Drew9870
I kill anything hatchery, the Trout I personally keep are bait, so yes.

Trout tastes like Trout no matter what seasonings are put on it, yuck.

Last edited:
brandon4455
brandon4455
Drew9870 said:
I kill anything hatchery, the Trout I personally keep are bait, so yes.

Trout tastes like Trout no matter what seasonings are put on it, yuck.

:clap: the only way i eat trout is if it's smoked. i really dislike plain breaded/cooked trout c&r natives and keep the stockers is the way to go.