Olalla Lake (near Toledo)

N
nyersa
Anyone had any luck recently out at Olalla lake (the one near Toledo, not Olallie). I have been out there two saturdays in a row bank fishing, and the only thing I've had on my line was a couple red belly newts that started chewing on my drowning nightcrawler. I tried varying leader lengths, using floats and bottom fishing with both powerbait and worms, as well as a couple different spinner combinations, and nada. Is it just me or are the fish asleep?

Last edited by a moderator:
C
cddunn
My limited experience from Olalla says they're asleep. I went early last year (from the bank), not much luck with the fishing. When it warmed up, things picked up quite a bit (in a boat). How was the water level there? Can one launch a tin boat from the ramp? The first time I went last year, people were dragging their boats down to the water.

N
nyersa
It was down a bit, but you could still get a trailer down to the water no problem. I had a lot of fun last summer there the few times I went, lots of action from the bank. Looks like the first stocking is valentines day this year, maybe I will try again after that or when the water warms up a tad. Now I just have to figure out somewhere else to fish till then (without spending the 20 bucks on a salmon/steelhead tag).

R
RunWithSasquatch
Klickitat lake holds a slew of cutties, a little out of the way, and not many people fish it, its partly where the NF Alsea originates. I havent fished it for years. There are many old logs in there you can climb out on and cover some water.

N
nyersa
Wow, thats a neat looking patch of water... is it private or public?

R
RunWithSasquatch
The grid out there is all Weyerhauser and BLM, seems like its everyother plot. You wont have any problem accessing it. During the week I would recomend coming down off of Marys peak to it, weekends you would have no problem going up Klickitat road down the back side of the Alsea pass.

R
RunWithSasquatch
I can get my property map out if you want a little more detail

N
nyersa
looks like it is on public land (at least according to google maps), I will check it out here sometime in the next week or so. Thanks!

R
RunWithSasquatch
Klickitat.JPG

This is where I recommend going in to bank fish, park on the south side of the bridge, and work your way in along the creek,(make sure to toss a couple spinners around the logs in the creek on the way) it can be brushy, but its worth it, the logs are the best way to fish, the bank around the lake can be very brushy. There is a place to put a boat in, but its very steep, Ive seen people fly fishing from pontoons before, but not often.

R
RunWithSasquatch
PS watch your step, some of the logs were getting fairly rotten, and its been a while since last time I was there.

N
nyersa
Will do, thanks for the heads up

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
I have found that the best luck at Olalla can be had by fishing off the power pole. ;)