OK, so this is my biggest chinook this season.

H
Halfthrive
Almost broke the 40 mark with this one.

IMG_0328.jpg

Last edited:
Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Are you kidding??? That is an absolute MONSTER!!! Definitely worth keeping. lol Congratulations!

S
SantiamDrifter
Its always nice to see those big fish and always a joy to fight them. But I gotta say I would put that one back to spawn. I dont mess with dark fish. Pictures and measurements and it back in the water. With the lack of rain the majority of the fish have been dark, or turning dark. The next rain will bring in the Chome beauty's! So if you can time the rain and the tides and it should be killer.

H
Halfthrive
SantiamDrifter said:
Its always nice to see those big fish and always a joy to fight them. But I gotta say I would put that one back to spawn. I dont mess with dark fish. Pictures and measurements and it back in the water. With the lack of rain the majority of the fish have been dark, or turning dark. The next rain will bring in the Chome beauty's! So if you can time the rain and the tides and it should be killer.

The meat on that fish was just as pink as the chromers I've been pulling in. There's a way to tell if the meat is good or not by looking into the mouth of the fish. On the roof of a chinooks mouth are two lines with small teeth, if its orange or pink the meat is good, if its all white up there then back it goes. Believe me, the last thing I'm going to do in this life is waste a fish.

T
Thuggin4Life
Thats a hog!

R
rippin fish lips
nice hog! you been gettin the big ones lately!

C
Chrome_Chaser
You're absolutely right about the color of the mouth. I would've kept it too. Congrats on the Hog.

C
Cohosanders
Wtf?

Wtf?

Nicely Done:clap: That's a huge beast:D Thanks for the info about the meat. I was told you can cut the tail , but the mouth way seems way more humane. I will look that up next time I catch a questionable fish. Does that apply to Coho as well??? I once caught a steely that was chrome on the outside and white on the inside... just nasty.

brandon4455
brandon4455
that fish is fat!

C
cobias
Hes right

Hes right

You can tell if they are good enough to eat if the roof of the mouth is pink. You can also tell by the lower belly, if its flabby and not firm...its no good. My biggest salmon (37 lbs) was pretty colored but its meat was redder than some chromers i have caught. Its meat actually looked like sockeye meat. We baked one chunk and it was TOO strong. It smoked up nice though. Good job on hitting the Fall nooks BTW. I still have yet to get one this year. 3 trips and nothin.

kirkster
kirkster
:shock:what a hog. Congrats to you:clap:

E
everett464
Damn son.

C
Coho Kid
Nice looking buck!

T
tnffishman
I wonder if that mouth trick would work on coho, or just chinook? I know a lot of guys cut the tails, but I'm pretty sure that's illegal if you let it go

J
Johnny Southpaw
Oink Oink! Nice pig!

B
bigsteel
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:
:clap::clap:
:clap:

A
autofisher
Sounds like you probably caught a down runner...... It's happened to me a time or two also. That's a nice fish bro..... Can't wait to get out on the water and get me one.

N
nwkiller
fatty mcfatterson, nice fish, dark or not, look at the thickness, bet it did cut good, nice man!