Ok need to ask

B
bigdog
So I have never tried for the spring nooks, when should a person expect to start seeing them come in? I would guess that seeings how I got in to a fall nook on the sandy that they have a spring hatch run right? What other local rivers have a hatch run of the big beast?

I landed my nook on 12/10 but not to sure if I want to spend the nook season running that small or not. Who runs what for the nooks?

I'll go out on the limb here and say that eggs are most likely the best bait for them. 1 thats what the nate I landed gut bomed on me and 2 thats why everyone goes egg hunting when the cohos are in.

Well while we are on the subject of when to look for fish when should the winter steelies be coming in?

M
metalfisher76
Springers start showin up in late Apr.,May but the bulk will be in June and July on most Columbia tribs. The Sandy has a good run of Nooks (and judging by your latest posts you`ll do just fine) and so does the Clack.
I really only bump up to 15/12 for `em, I want the bite more than anything else, losing fish is just part of the game.
Eggs, spinners 5 & 6`s, even my flies catch these brutes.

Winters are a rain fish, depending on where you fish `em. Late Dec. can have fish but Jan. - March are the shizzz for me. My favorite time of year!!

B
bigdog
Yeah I was figuring been doing and getting somewhat better at targeting coho and did pretty good this year on the summer steel thought I need to try for the nooks. I did some winter steel fishing last year but never got in to any, hell I was out in the snow trying for them.

Man both them runs are a little time away what am I going to do til then?

L
luv2fish
bigdog said:
So I have never tried for the spring nooks, when should a person expect to start seeing them come in? I would guess that seeings how I got in to a fall nook on the sandy that they have a spring hatch run right? What other local rivers have a hatch run of the big beast?

Willamette...clack....for spring chinook..if thats what you mean......they start on willy in late feb..people start trolling for 'em in last week of february but actual fishing starts in end of march or mid april... may june is usually good on willy..... people do catch springers in july or august on the clack but the quality is not that good...i myself had caught some at the dam and i threw'em back...( people bitched about it..but i don care)

I landed my nook on 12/10 but not to sure if I want to spend the nook season running that small or not. Who runs what for the nooks?

eggs...sometimes..most people use sand shrimp or prawn for spring chinook...fall chinook is more inclined to eggs in my experience. this last spring i corked a herring at meldrum bar and by god if it isn't for my late hookset...i had that fish..it stayed on there for a while...

I'll go out on the limb here and say that eggs are most likely the best bait for them. 1 thats what the nate I landed gut bomed on me and 2 thats why everyone goes egg hunting when the cohos are in.

Very true......my personal choice is eggs and live fresh sand shrimp....and sep-oct is the time to get full from silvers

Well while we are on the subject of when to look for fish when should the winter steelies be coming in?
mid november starts showing winter steel on willy...i know that for sure....

D
drifter
bigdog said:

the day when i first saw you at faraday was little late but a month befor that time its usally pretty good and at that hole it prefect.. eggs normally do best jigs do pretty good.. i just got lucky.. just go deep..

H
here2fish
bigdog said:

what up bigpuppy:shock::D:D

good seeing you the other day at the river and glad we could put that pissing match behind us. The Sandy was weird for springers this year, they showed up late and not in very good numbers. I have been catching them fishing for hos, kinda like you did the other day.(not fall run but old springers)

Last edited:
G
GoneFishin2134
I run 15 or 12lbs for my leader, then again I use braided line. You should be fine with 15lbs. Green, pink, orange yarn with a black or orange corky has always done the trick for me. Good luck Bigdog!