Ok, going to give this spinner making thing a try

A

Anyfishisfine

I stopped by BC to look at spinners, and talked to Kyle. I ended up just getting the parts to make 50.

I didn't get the tool. I have an one that I've had for years that I bought for making salt water tackle that I'll try to use. It's pretty cheap (crappy). Sort of a c-clamp looking thing. Real flimsy compared to what they were using at BC, but I'll give it a shot.

I'll post my results, good or bad.

M

metalmania

I stopped by BC to look at spinners, and talked to Kyle. I ended up just getting the parts to make 50.

I didn't get the tool. I have an one that I've had for years that I bought for making salt water tackle that I'll try to use. It's pretty cheap (crappy). Sort of a c-clamp looking thing. Real flimsy compared to what they were using at BC, but I'll give it a shot.

I'll post my results, good or bad.

Good luck with the new venture into the world of spinners. I tried it once and was completely hooked after that.

O

osmosis

lookin good for a first shot, thats for sure.
Just remember that when completed and being held vertically (hook down) that the bottom tip of the blade should be at or near the eye of the hook. Looks like some of those have too many body components.
Welcome to a seriously bank emptying hobby!

Nice job with the wire loops for a first attempt man.

A

Anyfishisfine

lookin good for a first shot, thats for sure.
Just remember that when completed and being held vertically (hook down) that the bottom tip of the blade should be at or near the eye of the hook. Looks like some of those have too many body components.
Welcome to a seriously bank emptying hobby!

Nice job with the wire loops for a first attempt man.

Thanks!

Good to know there is a rule-of-thumb to follow. I really probably should have read up on it before I started making them, but the first one was just a test, and then I made another..., lol. It's all good. I have a whole bag of wire to play with.

I was thinking of dressing the hook up with a bit of red yarn. Is that something you would ever do?

K

Kodiak

Banned User
the loops look great and the ripple blades are funky..I dig it. Just try and remember what OSmosis said about where the blade should be in relationship to the hook eye and I think you have some killers!

A

Anyfishisfine

Yeah, odd blades. That's what he said I should use. I suppose they give a nice vibration.

He said you have to yank it to get it spinning. It's new to me.

P

plunkme

yea when i was talking to kyle he said those blades are good in fast moving water so it really depends on what kind of water conditions you are fishing

A

Anyfishisfine

Ok, I'm making some the right size. They look a lot better.

I can lose these by the handful while I'm learning, and that's a good thing.

BTW - Twisting hooks are sharp.

F

FishFinger

I'm going to parrot previous comments and say those are good looking loops especially for your first attempts. You night consider picking up a pair of Lead Master forming pliers rather than using a "cheap" forming tool. It will put you light years ahead towards fabrication once you get the system down.

I initially picked up perhaps the same tool as you mentioned and can say it seldom sees the light of day. As well the universal Vee cut will tend to score the wire in the twisting process which can weaken the wire by cutting into it.

In case Kyle didn't mention it, those blades need a "kick start" to get them pumping. Shortly after the tumble or flutter you'll need to do a bit of a hook set action to get them spinning.

After a few cast and retrieve sessions you'll better understand what I am referring to. Once the blade is actually turning you'll feel the difference.

F

Fishtopher

Heres the ones my wife and i made at the clinic yesterday with the twist tech tool. I did the one on the left.

100_1840.jpg

Question regarding the blade; at the bottom of the blade, it has a jog that could either stick out away from the shaft, or towards the shaft. Is there a correct way to positions this blade, or will it just impart a different action? Mine are going towards the shaft.

Anyone ever seen a fish caught with one of these?

(hooks in general are sharp!;):whistle::))

O

osmosis

some people like them, I prefer french blades.

I don't like the twistech wire forming tool because of the diameter of the wire loops it creates.

F

Fishtopher

What is your opinion on blade placement Alan? Bend towards shaft, or away?

Only time I fished one of these was when first met Fishfinger, he gave me one....probably had his unique skunk spray all over it.;)

My go around with the tool was no good. Seemed to bend the shaft where I didn't want it to bend. And my pliers are super faster! Not to mention I get smaller loops when desired.

O

osmosis

bill showed me to go towards, but I'm not the expert when it comes to ripple blades. I only tested them for one season and then went back to my standby's.

I have a pair of leadmasters that are atleast 15 years old, and I still prefer those puppies over any wire former unless I have to say make 1,500 in a couple hours. the machines are easier on your hands.
With my component boxes laid out open and everything it only takes me 17-20 seconds per spinner with the pliers (doing both wire loops on straight wire), so the wire forming tools arent necessarily faster.
I like that as you mentioned, you can adjust the diameter on the conical round nose.

F

Fishtopher

Making my own, I went through 4 sets of needle nose pliers trying to get my conical nose down. And here is my luck; the pair that has the best conical nose, is the pair with dull cutters on it!:doh::lol:

A

Anyfishisfine

Heres the ones my wife and i made at the clinic yesterday with the twist tech tool. I did the one on the left.

100_1840.jpg

Question regarding the blade; at the bottom of the blade, it has a jog that could either stick out away from the shaft, or towards the shaft. Is there a correct way to positions this blade, or will it just impart a different action? Mine are going towards the shaft.

Anyone ever seen a fish caught with one of these?

(hooks in general are sharp!;):whistle::))

Yep, that's the basic design I settled into.

A

Anyfishisfine

I'm going to parrot previous comments and say those are good looking loops especially for your first attempts. You night consider picking up a pair of Lead Master forming pliers rather than using a "cheap" forming tool. It will put you light years ahead towards fabrication once you get the system down.

I initially picked up perhaps the same tool as you mentioned and can say it seldom sees the light of day. As well the universal Vee cut will tend to score the wire in the twisting process which can weaken the wire by cutting into it.

I agree 100% that it's weakening the metal. I'd almost call the process extrusion as much as forming. I had to make the slots bigger to make it work, and as a result I have to force the tag into the 'v' with a pair of pliers. The loops are nice and round because of the sheer force involved.

In case Kyle didn't mention it, those blades need a "kick start" to get them pumping. Shortly after the tumble or flutter you'll need to do a bit of a hook set action to get them spinning.

After a few cast and retrieve sessions you'll better understand what I am referring to. Once the blade is actually turning you'll feel the difference.

Yep, he mentioned it. He also said not to let it stall, or I might not get it going again.

Top Bottom