OFF to do sum trollin

F
Finneus Polebender
Heading out to the mighty U to see if my salmon guy can't put us on some ! have heard mixed reports but hey ya can't catch em from the couch . will let you all know how it went this afternoon . Hoping to get lucky with some reel polebenders!!

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Go get 'em,Finneus!! Wish you the best of luck and hope to see lots of pics!!

F
Finneus Polebender
Raincatcher said:
Go get 'em,Finneus!! Wish you the best of luck and hope to see lots of pics!!

Thanks barb, I hope so too!

T
Thuggin4Life
Good luck man they are atching them in the reedsport area all the way to the ocean right now. Seen fish caught both times we went and had several take downs. Good luck too bad you got a late start. best nook fishing is in the morning thats why we get there at first legal. And there have been some hogs caught. ifish has some mouthwatering reports. one of a 50.4lber!

F
Finneus Polebender
Thuggin4Life said:
Good luck man they are atching them in the reedsport area all the way to the ocean right now. Seen fish caught both times we went and had several take downs. Good luck too bad you got a late start. best nook fishing is in the morning thats why we get there at first legal. And there have been some hogs caught. ifish has some mouthwatering reports. one of a 50.4lber!

Well basically found out while we were there that your correct ,100+ boats in the drink by the time we got there . Some were already pulling out when we were launching . We got to work by around 8:30 trollin the herring with the flow of traffic . made 3 passes by the time 10:30 rolled around with no take downs and no fish being caught by the many boats surrounding us. rolled back to the flats and rigged up fresh herring , just as we were finishing one of the boats out in front of us finally had a fish on . We quickly finished and got our bait down . About 3minutes into the troll ,and just as the other boat was landing its fish"about an 8-10 lb coho"bam my rod went down . My freind was like wait for him wait for him ok get him ! I pulled the rod from the holder and said fish on! imediatly I saw the fish break water about 75 yrds behind the boat then all of a sudden line just started burning off my reel as my pole bent clean into the water ! I knew at once this was the biggest fish Id ever hooked ! My buddy watching the line fly said its gotta be a nook ,let me know if you get short on line we will chase the fish . With half my spool left the first run slowed then jerk jerk and slack ! I was like no no say it aint so as I reeled like a mad man , my buddy sayin hes runnin to ya keep reelin! sure enuff just as I saw the top beads of my rig the line drew tight again and the second run was on! Pole bent into the water once again half of my line quickly burned off my reel ,I looked over to my buddy and said this has got to be 50 plus pounds , he said get ready to reel were gonna chase it!He turned the boat in the direction of my still burning line and gunned it Ireeled as fast as I could gaining most of my line back ,until it was straight up and down in front of the boat . It took off again trying to go uder the boat I quickly ran my pole around the front of the boat and boom there goes my line again this time back towards the shore ! By this time several boats had stopped to watch the fight my buddy was getting flustered trying to keep after the beast while dodging traffic ! then my heart sunk as I got the true nature of what was going on when the harbor seal surfaced at the end of the third run with my 15 lb salmon in its mouth !!!! My buddy yells its not over yet as one of the many boats observing the battle realized to the situation and headed towards the seal I think to try and scare it into dropping my fish! My buddy yells reel we can't let him get air if we keep him under eventually he will let go to get air ,and the more we tire him the more likely it is he will give up ! Needles to say after another 20 minutes of runs and chases "now 30 min into the battle" the third time the seal surfaced it became painfully eveident that he no longer had my fish in his mouth but was dragging it along side him on the tail hook with the lead hook firmly imbedded in its face! after another 20 minutes of runs and 2 more surfaces with my arms feeling like they were gonna fall off my buddy said we are gonna have to give up .He said put your thumb on the spool and we will gun it and make one last attemt either bust the line or pull the hook from the seal . stopped the spool pointed my pole in the direction the line was heading ,as not to break my pole and told him hit it!We drug the seal for about 75 yrds the line would not break nor did the hook pull free. My freind said we will make one last chase to get as much line back as we can and cut him loose. realizing that there was no way we would get close enuff to him to get even our tackle back I knew he was right . made one last chase and reel run got him under the boat and the other freind We had with us cut the line it was over . Must admit I was a bit dejected knew that with the lack of fish being caught this would be my only chance, also knew my freind had made the right call . Rerigged and we fished for a couple more hours saw one other fish caught and then called it a day . Figured the seal to be 5 ft close to 100 lbs and the almost hour long fight though dissapointing in the end was EPIC, and one heck of a tribute to my buddies rigging and knot tieing skills . Deffinitely the biggest fight of my fishin career and never saw the seal again the rest of the day .

N
nwkiller
wow what a story, felt like i was there, nice job man

T
Throbbit _Shane
cool story bro! :D seal should be in season during salmon season LOL

T
TTFishon
Nothing like a good seal fight!:lol:

F
Finneus Polebender
Dont think I could have out lasted him , would have been at least another hour and a heck of a chance getting bit to try and salvage fish or gear . Here are the pics of my seal on day . 2 of the fish being hooked right before seal on time, was surprised my freind did as well as hed did on the pics it was quite hectic in the front of that boat

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Geez,my arms are tired just from reading your post! What a day!! Sorry you lost the fish,but what an epic fight you put up to try to keep it. Hmmm,wonder if a person could make money OFFering to be a seal wrangler/harrasser...hmmmm

H
Hawk
WOWeeeeeeeeeeeeee that is a Great Story BRO.
:clap::clap::clap:
:D:D:D
:cool::cool: