OFF fundraising

Admin
Admin
Alan said:
can you set up a go fund me with a trusted member of OFF? Have that person forward the funds to you?
that's an idea, thank you!

Admin
Admin
Troutski said:
Well that was so rude
Don't waste your time on Harrys, Jimmys, Trents.
Lt. Col. Frank Slade already told them everything.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Oh, for crying out loud!! Turn off your electronics and get your arses outside. Go on a picnic, go on a hike or a float, go fishing or swimming. I don't really care what you do, but...GO! Cool off and come back without being that guy who just has to stick his chest out farther than the last guy or, even worse, that guy who has to be the loudest whiner! GO! NOW!

hobster
hobster
Raincatcher said:
Oh, for crying out loud!! Turn off your electronics and get your arses outside. Go on a picnic, go on a hike or a float, go fishing or swimming. I don't really care what you do, but...GO! Cool off and come back without being that guy who just has to stick his chest out farther than the last guy or, even worse, that guy who has to be the loudest whiner! GO! NOW!
Amen Barb

Reactions: Raincatcher and rogerdodger
jamisonace
jamisonace
Raincatcher said:
No way....this is the most action we've had here for months.

• Haha
Reactions: troutdude, Raincatcher and Admin
troutdude
troutdude
1624305789891.png

Reactions: Admin
D
Dean
jamisonace said:
She's an activist with an agenda. If she didn't want to be criticized she could have stayed home. My guess is you care more about her agenda than her autism.

Interesting you're still here enjoying the benefit of this free resource in spite of being triggered by an attempt at humor.
I said it was "a major turnoff for me" with regard to me making a decision on whether or not to donate money for a laptop, not to keep the lights on. Admin already said he was making enough to cover costs of actually hosting the forum via ad revenue. How is that me being "triggered" exactly? It seems like you're the one who is upset.

hobster
hobster
jamisonace said:
No way....this is the most action we've had here for months.
The sad truth. This place ain’t what it once was. I miss the old school peeps

Reactions: troutdude and Raincatcher
Admin
Admin
hobster said:
The sad truth. This place ain’t what it once was. I miss the old school peeps
what happened to get-togethers? maybe they should be reincarnated?

Reactions: troutdude
hobster
hobster
Admin said:
what happened to get-togethers? maybe they should be reincarnated?
I am down! I organized the last one at Detroit lake, we had lots of fun. I’m dealing with a bum foot right now but we can do it later in the summer if we can get enough people interested.

Reactions: Clbagshaw, Raincatcher and Admin
jamisonace
jamisonace
Dean said:
I said it was "a major turnoff for me" with regard to me making a decision on whether or not to donate money for a laptop, not to keep the lights on. Admin already said he was making enough to cover costs of actually hosting the forum via ad revenue. How is that me being "triggered" exactly? It seems like you're the one who is upset.
Pony up some dough if you enjoy the resource. How much you in for? Or are you still going to pretend you're taking a stand against insensitivity so you don't feel bad about freeloading?

• Haha
Reactions: troutdude
jamisonace
jamisonace
hobster said:
I am down! I organized the last one at Detroit lake, we had lots of fun. I’m dealing with a bum foot right now but we can do it later in the summer if we can get enough people interested.
If you can still hold a rod I've been killing it on your homewater lately. Mostly fishing alone. Jump in the boat sometime... err limp in anyway.

Reactions: troutdude, Raincatcher and Admin
Admin
Admin
jamisonace said:
Pony up some dough if you enjoy the resource. How much you in for? Or are you still going to pretend you're taking a stand against insensitivity so you don't feel bad about freeloading?
The guy from that "Free Breakfasts" canteen is a big asshole. So big that I don't want to support his business. But not so big that I would stop eating his free breakfasts.

• Haha
Reactions: troutdude and jamisonace
Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Y'all asked for it...enjoy. :D

• Haha
Reactions: hobster, Admin and rogerdodger
D
Dean
jamisonace said:
I don't think you understand how software works. Generally speaking, for something like an open forum, you fund it via ad revenue (which is exactly what Admin is doing). Many people operating resources / sites that are "labors of love" just pay for it out-of-pocket (for example, I am a software engineer and I maintain a server that I lose money on and don't ever attempt to recoup my costs because it's a hobby server). The other popular model to generate revenue is a subscription. There is also optional subscription services (Patreon for example).

In this case, as I've noted, Admin is paying for his server costs using ad revenue. That means that I am actually not freeloading at all. By patronizing this site, I increase their web traffic. By helping other fishermen with advice (which is the majority of what I've done when I'm not here arguing with people who have no clue what they are talking about and are quick to anger), I also help their search engine rankings. The next time somebody searches for "kid-friendly fishing" or "fishing at St. Louis ponds" they might find this helpful map I drew along with the associated advice, which drives additional traffic to the site. Due to the current model of generating revenue via advertising, this helps the site. Cool, right?

OK - so now we've covered the fact that I'm not a freeloader but I am, in fact, helping the forum every time I reply to a thread with advice. Whew. So, what's this about donating money? Is it to keep the lights on at OFF? Not at all. It's for a new laptop. If it were to keep the lights on at OFF, I might react differently. If OFF didn't have ad revenue, I might react differently. If you weren't shouting down anybody who has a different opinion than you, I might react differently.

Anyway, @Admin, if you want some help reducing monthly costs or just another set of eyes, I could potentially help out there. You mentioned that you are getting $50-100 a month in ad revenue. The licensing for the forum software you are using should be costing about $55 a year:

Each XenForo license includes 12 months of support and updates. An additional 12 month extension can be purchased from $55.00

Registering a domain name costs about $9 a year. I'm assuming you're using shared hosting, not a VPS; so hosting I imagine would be around $10 a month. Let's say $15 just to be safe. For reference, here is the recommended managed hosting provider for XenoForo. Based on what you told me about ad revenue this is what your yearly cashflow should look like in a given year:

Ad revenue: $900
XenForo Licensing fees: -$55
ICANN domain registration fees: -$9
Server hosting fees: $-180 (15/month * 12)
Total: $656

You should be coming out cash positive. If your hosting is costing a lot more than that, maybe migrate to KnownHost? They are active on the XenoForo forums and would probably respond in a timely manner. Anyway, @jamisonace, if you have anything useful or factual to say, I'm open to it. But thus far you are opining purely based on emotions, and that isn't going to convince me. Tight lines, friends.

Reactions: Chromatose, hobster and rogerdodger
hobster
hobster
jamisonace said:
If you can still hold a rod I've been killing it on your homewater lately. Mostly fishing alone. Jump in the boat sometime... err limp in anyway.
I have a couple of doctors appointments next week to discuss MRI results, if I am able to walk with my boot I would gladly take you up😀 I’ll pm you thanks man

Reactions: jamisonace
Admin
Admin
hobster said:
I have a couple of doctors appointments next week to discuss MRI results
what happened, if it's not a secret?

Admin
Admin
Dean said:
Anyway, @Admin, if you want some help reducing monthly costs or just another set of eyes, I could potentially help out there.
Thanks. And yes, you are more than welcome to help by participating, as you described. That's actually the best help I can get.

P.S. I'll not comment on your "XenForo management" lecture though. )

hobster
hobster
Admin said:
what happened, if it's not a secret?
Boy has this thread derailed😜 nothing exciting, just 30 years of climbing ladders painting and getting older. My left foot has had enough, I have not been able to walk without a boot or crutches for three months. Sucks beyond belief

• Sad
Reactions: Raincatcher
Admin
Admin
yeah, getting older sucks big time.

Reactions: Snopro