Of mice and men

O

OnTheFly

Sorry but this thread is not about the novel by John Steinbeck, but rather it is the struggle of one man's efforts to erradicate a sly rodent from the house. Not more than a year ago a popular member of this forum had a similar experience with one such vermine inside of a car. (Are you out there Jee-nah? We all know her story and now here's mine.

May 2nd. It started out by the discovery of a chewed up partial roll of paper towels under the kitchen sink. My wife alerted me immediately and presented the roll. Random chunks of paper had been ripped from end to end making it look like human bites out of a white corn cob. As I examined the damage, I couldn't help but to think that the missing paper material was being used for an unseen purpose. Something more serious and unimaginable. A Mouse Nest!!!:shock: It was time to act!

May 3rd I have had bad experiences killing mice with poison as they would die in some dark and inaccessable area and then stink for two weeks. My method of choice: A Trap. Everyone has told me that peanut butter works the best. I smeared a dab of it on the trigger pad and gently placed the set trap under the sink.

May 4th ALL of the peanut butter had been licked OFF. It was so clean that it looked like it hadn't been baited at all.:mad: Reset the trap with another dab of peanut butter then took a piece of chedder and pressed it firmly down on top.

May 5th Peanut butter AND cheese BOTH GONE!! Again licked to a shine.
(Later that evening..........

OK. Now I have set TWO traps under the sink. This time I found some .30 diameter lead thread from my fly desk and secured a piece of bacon on one trap and a piece of chedder on the other by twisting the lead over the bait.

The plot thickens...........

B

bigdog

Sounds like you either got a sly little mouse or a wife that likes to watch you strugle :lol:

CJ

B

beaverfan

Wait, so you're psychic? Today is the 4th.

Hopefully in the morning you'll have some fresh bait!

L

lilsalmon

I am betting on the wife.....I need to meet her....:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

HAHA just scrolled down after posting and seen the advertisement below....Terminix..hehe

Irishrover

Irishrover

Most Featured
Have you ever tried one of those sticky pads. They work pretty good. It's a flat piece of plastict with this really stickey glue on it. They walk on it and get stuck. Next day you toss the mouse and the sticky pad out. Of course that's after you skin the mouse so you can use it hair to tie flies! When you fnd were the mice are making their entry stuff the hole with steel wool. Thats one thing they won't chew through.

Raincatcher

Raincatcher

Less than 50 feet from the Santiam River! :)
Perfect solution

Perfect solution

You are right about the poison...peeeyuuu! :confused: My mother always mixed dried fruit with plaster of paris for them to snack on. She decided that when they got a drink of water the plaster would set up and that would stop them in their tracks. :shock: For some reason it worked,although I don't think mice have favorite watering holes. I am not a mouse killing expert,but those pads end up with very tiny feet on them sometimes..:doh:.I just happen to have a beautiful,affectionate cat that I have been ordered by my doctor to re-home. She looks like a miniature snow leopard and LOVES mice! Let me know if I can help....:D

B

bigsteel

we just had mice in the shop outside,,,we let off off one of those bug bombs and they came running out

O

OnTheFly

Oh.........SNAP!:yay::yay::yay:
As with fishing and catching mice, simple adjustments are neccessasry to achieve the desired results.:yay::yay:

A

autofisher

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice. THE GREAT WHITE HUNTER HAS STRUCK AGAIN!!! Glad to see you bested your adversary sir. :lol:

B

bigsteel

you could sent that to TTfishon,,he was wantin to fish with a mouse pattern9:lol::lol:

J

JeannaJigs

Haha good job sir! At least your hunt didn't get drawn out like mine did.

O

OnTheFly

When there is one there's more. When trapping mice always do a follow up. I will continue with the traps for a few more nights.

By the way, remember I had two traps? The intruder chose bacon rather than cheese. (Not Tillamook):think:

F

fishtales

A camcorder would work wonders here... Set it up and watch what they are doing and where they are coming from in the house. Then set up some traps the next night. I have had good luck with peanut butter on my traps.

B

beaverfan

Hope you picked up your two trap license! Now cure that puppy up and backbounce it down in OC with a small glob of eggs, kills em everytime!

O

OnTheFly

Hope you picked up your two trap license! Now cure that puppy up and backbounce it down in OC with a small glob of eggs, kills em everytime!

No trap licence for me. When it comes to mice I'm a poacher.:dance:

O

OnTheFly

Ya know...I hate to beat a dead horse but this I had to share. As you can see, the piece of chedder cheese (not tillamook, lol) was removed from the trap even through the tie down. Notice the trap is still set. The explanation is simply a bad mouse trap design by d-Con. Study the trap. The trigger plate can only release the snap bar if it is pushed down. As long as a rodent pulls up the trap will not trip. In conclusion, I recommend a Victor trap above anything else. imo. (Are you reading this Gee-Nuh?) ;)

The bad part about this latest discovery is that I didn't pay enough attention to this second trap the day I caught the mouse so I can't tell if the cheese was taken by a different one.

Last edited:
Top Bottom