ODFW stocking schedule

S
Snopro
I don't know anyone who would "harvest" a hatchery put and take trout, but it's a obviously a popular fishery. Most probably end up stuffed in the back of the freezer or used for crab/ling/halibut bait. Not a great use of DFW $$$, IMO. I wonder what % are actually eaten by humans?

O
olshiftybiscuits
DOKF said:
It is called "fishing", not "harvesting". I appreciate every sunny day I see in the PNW all the more after surviving a wet winter. Every fish is a challenge to catch, and appreciated all the more for it.

Sorry for the sermon ...
Amen!

O
olshiftybiscuits
Snopro said:
I don't know anyone who would "harvest" a hatchery put and take trout, but it's a obviously a popular fishery. Most probably end up stuffed in the back of the freezer or used for crab/ling/halibut bait. Not a great use of DFW $$$, IMO. I wonder what % are actually eaten by humans?
It’s shocking how many people follow the stocking schedule to fill their freezers. At any of the urban fisheries, you’ll see folks show up, fill a stringer, pack it away in the car and head right back down for more. I’ve watched people sit in float tubes behind the ODFW truck while it’s actively dumping fish. Those fish can’t taste good. But, rednecks gonna redneck.

troutdude
troutdude
Personally I only catch and release. Unless I'm lucky enough to find holdovers in the mix. Which have been eating on native foods for a year or two.

Reactions: LazyBrewer, DOKF and olshiftybiscuits