Odfw report for the Sandy River

J
JTLunker
Access to the river can be gained from many parks including Lewis and Clark, Dabney, Oxbow, and Dodge. Bank access is also available to the Cedar Creek area at the Sandy Hatchery. When fishing the Oxbow Park area, remember that there is no angling from a floating device upstream from a point that is 200 feet below the Oxbow Park boat ramp.
Collection/recycling receptacles for discarded or lost fishing gear can now be found along the Sandy River. Look for them near boat ramps at Lewis and Clark, Dabney, Oxbow, and Dodge parks. Any tangled fishing line or old gear can be collected and disposed of in these canisters as an effort to maintain a healthy, clean Sandy River. Please use nearby garbage cans for any other types of trash.
(ODFW Rec. Rep.)
Here is a link to find directions.
Oxbow
oxbow park ore - Google Maps
Lewis and Clark
lewis and clark park oregon - Google Maps
Dodge
Dabney
This river was on fire this winter from what I have heard. Any reports or stories would be appreciated.

Last edited:
B
Bobo
How is the Sandy? Is there anything taken lately?

A
ArcticAmoeba
JT, the gentleman who posted this thread had some excellent luck two days in a row, with his friend Ryan out on the Sandy. There is a Thread about it in the Steelhead section. Read it up. Great info from a well informed member. And he was using Blue Fox spinners!;)

O
osmosis
A couple guide buddies of mine are finding fish but from what I hear they are working pretty hard for 'em.

A
ArcticAmoeba
osmosis said:
A couple guide buddies of mine are finding fish but from what I hear they are working pretty hard for 'em.

Great. Good thing i gave up because of the crowds...Maybe Bobo, you should try heading for the Clackamas. The Sandy is close, but if guides say it's not producing well, head out! Those spinners you have, I think would work better there anyways.

K
kentsboots
links to the maps don't seem to go to the right spot anymore :dance:

A
ArcticAmoeba
Hit Google Earth if you can, or just run a search on Goog. The link probably takes you to the Lewis & Clark Park near Bend, or the one out near Oregon City.

K
kentsboots
thanks , i needed a map to dodge park :)

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Thanks

Thanks

Thanks for the links Fspy. Now all I have to do is get out on the water. Haven't been out nearly as often as I have wanted. Gonna change that soon.
Barb

F
Fspy
I keep meaning to get out there but every time I find the time the rain ruins the river for me. What ever happened to hot August nights? Not raining and around 30-40 August nights.

T
Troutcatcher
Anyone have any fishing reports for the sandy?

L
lost_cajun
I have not seen many springers caught, but it rained all day today and the water is up about 2' and mirky. I look at it every day but I think the fishing would be better when the water goes down and clears up. And I would not mind a little sun (if its not to much to ask:pray:)

But that is my thoughts, and I am very new to this NW fishing.

Pat

O
OneMore
lost_cajun said:
And I would not mind a little sun (if its not to much to ask:pray:)

second that

T
Troutcatcher
Has anyone caught anything lately on the sandy?

A
ArcticAmoeba
Here is one I got on my Skagit set-up the other day. I was out showing a friend how to load up, and cast the rod using the surface tension on the line, and I got into a couple fins, with big, heavy bugs, and a few more without fins to take home on drifted Coon Chickens and a corkie. This one ate a big, olive, and red custom, lead head bug.

SpeySteel28.jpg

T
Troutcatcher
That's a nice fish.

Last edited: