ODFW report for Eagle Creek

J
JTLunker
Water temperature remains in the upper 30s but is anticipated to gradually warm with the warming trend in air temperature. Try jig and bobber for steelhead in the lower, clearer waters of Eagle Creek. Spawning of steelhead at the hatchery ceased on February 27, but collection of steelhead into the hatchery will continue. Hatchery-origin fish will be removed and native-origin fish will be returned to Eagle Creek.

The most popular spots to try include the Bonnie Lure area, the water above and below the lower fish ladder, Eagle Fern Park, and up near the hatchery. Much of the creek meanders through private property so pay attention to your location and secure permission before fishing on private land.
bonnie lure state park - Google Maps

I have only been here once, but it was very beautiful and there are some real nice places to fish from the bank.

Last edited:
H
Hanapaa
Another good fishing hole for Eagle Creek is near Eagle Fern Park. Stay on Hwy 211 until you see the sign for Eagle Fern Park on your left. Take the left (should be SE Wildcat Mountain Dr. Follow the signs to Eagle Fern Park (you'll have to turn right onto Eagle Fern Rd). Follow that road past the park and turn right to take the first bridge you see. As you drive over the bridge, the fishing hole is on the left side of the bridge. Park where ever you can after the bridge. Both sides are accessible (waders are preferred). There is a nice deep channel that the fish like to hold in.

T
tnffishman
This hole is only good for steelhead. try a blue fox or bobber and eggs through the channel, but silvers in the fall do not bite in this hole, all pulled out are snagged, and even then fish are few and far between. try fishing eagle fern park itself, plenty of good holes there!!!

T
tnffishman
:cool: stopped by dowty bridge on the way home from trout fishin this weekend. the banks curved a little from high water, but the tree is finally out of the hole, and it looks good for silvers.:)

A
ArcticAmoeba
2 of my friends stopped at the bridge for a few "quick" casts before heading home. The took home 1 decent fish each(not a pig, but big enough) and had plenty of bites. Their quick casting trip turned into 2 hours and lots of action. Think i'll try to get up there this weekend.

T
tnffishman
been up there a few times, nothin at all goin on

K
kentsboots
i was there just a week ago , and walked from the bonnie lure to almost the mouth , didn't see a single fish anywhere ... then went up higher past eaglefern , then back down twards the park , nothing there either

A
ArcticAmoeba
You guys should notice the flow levels in E.C. are really, really, low. The next rain should push the 'Hos up the Clack, and the next hard rain after that should push them a ways up the Creek...There are some Steelhead in Eagle Creek right now, milling about just stuck in certain sections due to flow. Could probably drift bait, or pull spinners and get one. I bet they are fairly spooky for steelhead, maybe not spooky, but picky is a better word. If you get one, remember waht you picked it up on, and fish the same drift a couple hours later, and you will probably nail another.

T
tnffishman
i hav been up there, and there is about fifty fish below dowty. there was also a pod of about fifteen right below the mouth. i hooked three last weekend, and landed one. dowty bridge is now on the odfw recreation report under the clackamas river section. i was trying to lead people away from the creek, since dowty is so packed as it is. but its game on now. im headed up there early saturday and sunday. two weeks ago i spotted five fish at the bridge above the park. now there has to be more. but nothing like there will be when it rains. i hope u guys can forgive me. good luck

F
Fishtopher
tnffishman said:
i hav been up there, and there is about fifty fish below dowty. there was also a pod of about fifteen right below the mouth. i hooked three last weekend, and landed one. dowty bridge is now on the odfw recreation report under the clackamas river section. i was trying to lead people away from the creek, since dowty is so packed as it is. but its game on now. im headed up there early saturday and sunday. two weeks ago i spotted five fish at the bridge above the park. now there has to be more. but nothing like there will be when it rains. i hope u guys can forgive me. good luck

AAhhhahahah:lol::lol::lol:........... :shock::naughty:.........:lol:

T
tnffishman
went up to dowty yesterday afternoon. got into some fish right off the bat. ended up hookin 5, landin 3, and brought home 1 jack. had fun anyway. neeed rain:pray:

Troutski
Troutski
Rain Oh yes Rain...

Rain Oh yes Rain...

tnffishman said:
went up to dowty yesterday afternoon. got into some fish right off the bat. ended up hookin 5, landin 3, and brought home 1 jack. had fun anyway. neeed rain:pray:

That's the ticket...we need some rain :pray: :dance::clap:

Chuck

K
kentsboots
I was at the bridge past eagle fern this morning for a little while , only saw about 5 big fish hanging out .

A
ArcticAmoeba
Eagle Creek is entirely too low for any mass of Salmonids to move up into the creek at the moment...As mentioned before, the rains will change the fishery completely...Stay tuned. There are some fish between Carver, and Barton, if you can find one willing to strike.

T
tnffishman
just heard that they already bumped the limit up to three on the creek, the clack, and sandy. its on the odfw page too, fish on!!!:)

K
kentsboots
SO what does that mean exactly ? The limit is up to 3 from 2 , I assume it means if all you catch is Coho , then you can have 3 adults ....

but if you already have 2 adult nooks , your done? , or can you keep one more coho ?

T
tnffishman
I AM LUCKY(KINDA) that i dont hav to worry about that. i only fish on eagle creek for salmon in the fall, and they only got coho. but i think if u catch 2 nooks, then ur done. but if u catch a silver, then 2 nooks, or 2 silvers then a nook, then ur fine. if you have to worry about that then u are one lucky S.O.B. so where u fishin for nooks, the sandy?:think:

A
ArcticAmoeba
The nook on the Sandy are booty like you wouldn't believe! Guess what? They are thinkin of re-opening Chinook retention on the Columbia from the mouth of the Lewis River, up to the Bonneville Pool. Eagle fern should start a winter Chinook run as well as the Coho run. It would be nice to get 2 'Hos and a fat Chinook to go along with it...Although I am a firm believer that Coho is the best tasting Salmon in the Rivers, hands down...Chinook is overrated, and I'm just not a fan of the consistency of Socks. But keep your eyes peeled for a re-juice in the Chinook fishery near Bonneville.

K
kentsboots
I just assumed there were both types of fish in the rivers , so this fall run is mainly Coho then ?

A
ArcticAmoeba
Pretty much, the Clack will be Coho, and hopefully a good run of Steelhead this year too.