Odell Lake kokanee

S
Sparklemaker
On August 27th, we are going on a camping/fishing trip to Odell Lake. Never been there and was wondering is anyone here has any tips for fishing there at this time of year. Tips like depth, rigging and areas on the lake. I plan to use my Okuma STA Kokanee rod. Should be a kick!

Irishrover
Irishrover
I have not fished Odell, but up the hwy is Crescent Lake and there I have fished for Kokanee. What I remember the most is it was an early morning bite. After 9am on sunny days the fish seened to take a break. We trolled wedding rings. Next year we plan on making an Odell trip. Lets us know how you do please.

Reactions: Sparklemaker
G
Gulfstream
fished there last September and the jig bite was good in front of trapper creek

Reactions: Troutski and Sparklemaker
4labs
4labs
Drove by yesterday 22nd and lake looks clean but as usual a windy afternoon.
Anything should work pink,orange and white wiggle hoochies with a chrome dodger are the norm. 20ft early AM and 40-60 mid morn
Almost any corn scent and sometimes corn and tuna in oil is all you need.
Princess creek straight across to Rocky point is where I usually fish. Fish are 10-12" with a few to 15 (very few) and macks down by the hwy view pull in.

S
Sparklemaker
Thanks everyone for the information on Odell. We had a great time! Bite was sporadic but we caught fish! I learned that I need a decent line counter level wind because my spinning reel isn’t that great for trolling. Looking at a Magda 15. Limited budget here! Any thoughts?

S
Sparklemaker
4labs said:
Drove by yesterday 22nd and lake looks clean but as usual a windy afternoon.
Anything should work pink,orange and white wiggle hoochies with a chrome dodger are the norm. 20ft early AM and 40-60 mid morn
Almost any corn scent and sometimes corn and tuna in oil is all you need.
Princess creek straight across to Rocky point is where I usually fish. Fish are 10-12" with a few to 15 (very few) and macks down by the hwy view pull in.

We did great! Had to buy a map of the lake to figure out where you were talking about! Thanks a ton for the information! Now I need to buy an entry level line counting reel for trolling! Trolling with a spinning reel is for the birds. Considering an Okuma Magda 15. Anything come to mind?

Reactions: 4labs
4labs
4labs
Sparklemaker said:
We did great! Had to buy a map of the lake to figure out where you were talking about! Thanks a ton for the information! Now I need to buy an entry level line counting reel for trolling! Trolling with a spinning reel is for the birds. Considering an Okuma Magda 15. Anything come to mind?

Great to hear. I was up there Tuesday and bombed out. Fish everywhere. Got there and they were jumping all over the lake.
Threw every combo I could even jigged awhile. Ended up with 12.
Have the Okuma Convector CV15d and the Magda Pro MA20DX its a bit large for koks. Switched to the Lexa 100 and its the way to go. $95 at Bi-Mart they have to order it. The Daiwa Accudepth 17 is good also . I run 2 of those for long lining plugs
I run 2 lexa 100 on a pair of old 6-6 ultra lite Shakespeare rods and use these for trolling trout and koks
Only complaint on the lexa was a guy who used them on bottom fish and the drag got sticky after 100 or more blacks ,lings.
That reel was never meant for that.
The Okuma could easily handle light bottom fish and maybe salmon.

Last edited: