Odell Lake fishing

T
TC2
I'm taking my son to Odell Lake for the first time this coming weekend to fish for kokanee, also for the first time. We will be camping in the chilly and wet weather at Odell Lake Lodge, where I've rented one of their boats for all day on Saturday. All I know is what I've read online. Seems like the thing to do is jig with pink lures like the Kokanator. How do I find the fish? How important is it to have a sonar? Their boats don't have one. And what's the chance of us hooking a lake trout? Do we just hope they hit our kokanee jig? Thanks for any info you can provide!

G
Gulfstream
I would suggest if you don't have a depth finder, look where the boats are grouped up

C_Run
C_Run
I only fished there one time but did catch a mac on a tiny pink Gibbs jig. It was probably just luck, though. That was right off the Princess Creek Campground.

gramparon
gramparon
I've been there and caught them trolling and jigging. If you want, give me a call. Too much to type. Ron 541.912.6089

4labs
4labs
Fish the West end or were the group of boats like Whip said will be. 90- 120 ft deep Tip your jig with corn I like bloody tuna with corn wizard. Pro Cure
Almost any color.Pink-orange -white 1once. Hit bottom and just alittle jig up not like your jigging for lings.
Fish are 10-11inch but 30 each will make a few meals. (my interpretation of the limit or stay with 25)
Also cast to jumpers and top line a pink roostertail.
Check wind alert and be careful. When you see white caps get back to the dock. Odell can be downright scary when it starts to howl.

Map Results | Wind, Forecast, Radar, Weather & More

troutdude
troutdude
@TC2 be sure to call GrampaRon...he knows his stuff and will really be able to get you dialed in!

And take heed of @4labs wind conditions advice!

OneFishTwoFish
OneFishTwoFish
Hey TC2; I am fishing Odell, West side tomorrow and the next day. Camping at Princess. I am by no means an expert with koke and only have my kayak so won't be straying far from the shore and Shelter cove. If you want to report or to meet up, send me a message.

T
TC2
OneFishTwoFish said:
Hey TC2; I am fishing Odell, West side tomorrow and the next day. Camping at Princess. I am by no means an expert with koke and only have my kayak so won't be straying far from the shore and Shelter cove. If you want to report or to meet up, send me a message.
Good luck! Yes, would love to hear how it goes. Thanks.

T
TC2
Thanks for all this info. The highest wind forecast for Saturday is 14 mph. How much wind is too much? I'll be on an 18 foot rental boat with my 8 year old son.

4labs
4labs
Sat... sustained wind @ 10-14... wind gust to 29
Hate to ruin your plans but I wont go out there in my 17ft
If you get a really early start might have about 4 hrs but who knows... maybe it wont be that bad
The wind roars off the pass usually west to east and you don't want to be running the length of the lake with 20+ mph gust at your transom
Good luck and stay safe.

Reactions: OneFishTwoFish and plumbertom
OneFishTwoFish
OneFishTwoFish
TC2 said:
Good luck! Yes, would love to hear how it goes. Thanks.
The West end, especially parallel to Princess shoreline is your ticket. I trolled from the kayak during the calm 630a to 815a until winds picked up. Trout but no koke for me, however it's VERY difficult to properly fish these fish in a tiny boat. Lots of boats were
catching kokanee tho

gramparon
gramparon
How did your Odell trip go?

T
TC2
We listened to the advice and weather reports and cancelled our trip because of wind. Odell Lake Lodge was good about not charging me for the boat rental. We hope to hit Odell before summer heat sends the fish down deep, but our short term sights are on the salmon showing up below Dexter Dam!