October fishing around Winchester Bay

W
wmcclendon
I'll be in the Winchester Bay Area the first week of October for work and I'd like to get some fishing in. Looking at the fishing calendars, it looks like it will be time to go after salmon. I've mostly only fished for the smallish trout down here in our little mountains (Ga and NC). But I was able to hook some beautiful trout in the Deschutes during the salmon fly hatch a few years ago after one of these business trips.

Any tips for a newbie to the area and salmon fishing? Seems like a guide is the best option. I usually try to go it alone, but it looks like some pretty big water out there.

Thanks,
Tommy

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
hey Tommy- welcome to OFF! you will be visiting at a great time for salmon fishing here on the coast. each river and run is different, lower Umpqua should be late in their chinook run but coho should be going strong, they provide lots of opportunity to cast spinners from shore or boat, or troll for them. The trick will be to watch postings on OFF and try to find out where the coho are in big numbers, get out and fish for them there...weather plays a big role in when we get surges of fish...cheers, roger

jamisonace
jamisonace
If I were you I would get a guide. There are a lot of options and you might consider the siuslaw or the coos. The siletz is fun in October if you have time to drive a few hours. Come back 6 weeks later for the elk and sixes rivers.

L
labman
I have to agree with getting a guide. If you have never fished for salmon before it can be a bit confusing just gearing up. The benefit of being with someone that knows the methods, rivers and regulations cannot be overstated. Hope you have a great trip and good luck!

W
wmcclendon
Thanks for the info!

Now can you recommend any of the guides in the area?

Thanks!

L
labman
Last year we fished the Coquille with Curtis Palmer of River Secrets Guide Service. He worked hard to get us into fish, and put on a fun trip.

W
wmcclendon
Great...keep them coming. I'll be checking them all out.

I'll be flying in and out of Eugene if that helps anything.

C
CoastalMoe
We may be moving to Winchester Bay... Hopefully we will both be fishing the same waters come October... LOL...

W
wmcclendon
Any other recommendations for guides? I've reached out to a few, but haven't heard back from any yet.

Thanks!

S
steelhead_stalkers
Todd Harrington of Big K Guest Ranch! Also, Todd Linklater is another good guide.

C
CoastalMoe
Call the Stockade Market and Tackle @ (541) 271-3800 you will reach Liz or Pete in the mornings or Chris in the afternoons... This is the only shop in town that sells Jerry's Green Label herring and only place in town to get your fishings licenses/tags... all the guides go there and the shop always knows which guides are getting their clients on the fish... They are really helpful and will refer you to a great guide...

The Stockade also has a great Facebook page they post recent catches on...

K
knucklehead 61
i have fished with Tim Abraham at winchester bay charters a few times. always a great trip.
do a search for his facebook page for contact info.

W
wmcclendon
Well, the other guy I had fishing with me has backed out. I know there's not many guides that list 1 person trips, so I have a feeling I'll have to figure out something else to do. I assume fishing from the bank or easy wading for Salmon is very inefficient? Maybe I should find a trout stream to hit.

Thanks.