Rivers Siuslaw River Fishing Reports

4labs
4labs
Wow.
I thought the bays were dead. That one is a monster never caught that size in a bay
Thanks for the report
No Pepper???

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
4labs said:
Wow.
I thought the bays were dead. That one is a monster never caught that size in a bay
Thanks for the report
No Pepper???

3 of us on the boat plus 5 crab traps, Pepper was home resting up to hit Siltcoos on Friday with two of her fishing friends.... ;)

I was not expecting a 'crabalanche' yesterday, my over/under for the day started at 8 and I expected the keepers to be mostly below the A7 bouy.

4labs
4labs
And the bait was ??????
All out of bottom fish I guess its chicken for me. Have a friend who has pheasant carcasses and will try those.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
a whole variety of bait- several ;) very fresh salmon heads and backbones, drumsticks marinated in ProCure crab stuff, one tuna head, one lingcod carcass, some old herring and mackerel, chicken thighs...basically every trap has some stuff in a metal box or plastic bait holder and also some stuff hanging out in the open for the crabs to really get at quickly. and we added bait and scent everytime we pulled a pot.

all the traps had lots of crab right up to high slack, when the water stopped moving the scent, then we just got smaller crabs. my take on that was that there are smaller crabs everywhere but the keepers are spread out and need to come to the traps, also that the larger ones were marching in from the ocean. pretty much what I expect in the lower Siuslaw this time of year.

RpuuoCP.jpg

Reactions: troutdude and plumbertom
Bob Budesa
Bob Budesa
Good report. I hope the same holds true for Charleston, etc.

troutdude
troutdude
rogerdodger said:
several ;) fresh salmon heads and backbones

Hmm...wonder where those came from? :unsure::sneaky::geek:

hobster
hobster
Hit the bank for only the 3rd time this fall, got lucky with a chrome hen.

31AF60ED-0F6A-4E0F-8262-E565B2E2BF31.jpeg

Reactions: Admin and NKlamerus
my2labs
my2labs
hobster said:

Nice fish.

Your Cabela’s rod.... you like it? A buddy of mine has one and he really digs it.

hobster
hobster
Thanks. I’ve used Cabelas reels and jigs and was highly disappointed but their rods have held up great. I have a handful and none have done me wrong. I dig em too

Last edited:
rogerdodger
rogerdodger
hobster said:

Excellent. eggs! eggs! eggs!

Reactions: hobster
G
Gary W
OK we had a couple of days of rain has it brought any fish into Siltcooos, Tahackinish, or Tenmile. (Excuse my spelling.) Or is it too late in the year with lack of rain?

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
fresh coho are caught in the lakes right through the end of December, these fish don't have very far to go and often enter fresh water late. and these later coho can be BIG.

I'm looking to get out a couple of times over the Thanksgiving weekend. Well, just one more time if I'm successful. ;) (unfortunately, reports I have had for the fishing this month have not been great.)

one trick to finding success at Siltcoos is figuring out where the most coho are going to be and focusing there. between larger rain events, the fish often gather near the top of the spawning arms, in shallow water over the top of weed beds. A big rain event usually causes all these fish to shoot up into the creeks and out of reach. But if the rain event brings in new fish, they will be coming up the river, near the outlet, along the west shore, and moving through travel lanes in the lake towards the spawning arms for a few days, then often many are along the east shoreline, getting their bearings before turning N. or S. :cool:

Reactions: Markk and Admin
K
kwikfisher
20200827_123649.jpg

Reactions: plumbertom and Admin
K
kwikfisher
Fish were scarce....

Markk
Markk
Heading over to Florence Friday any reports?

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Markk said:
Heading over to Florence Friday any reports?
last I heard, not great but some being caught, about what you would expect based on the low returns expected this year. I guess one way to look at it is they didn't/haven't closed the Siuslaw totally this year....

Reactions: Admin
Markk
Markk
rogerdodger said:
last I heard, not great but some being caught, about what you would expect based on the low returns expected this year. I guess one way to look at it is they didn't/haven't closed the Siuslaw totally this year....
Thanks...wish the news was better! I think the Columbia has exceeded expected returns and was hoping for better returns on the Siuslaw than expected.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Markk said:
Thanks...wish the news was better! I think the Columbia has exceeded expected returns and was hoping for better returns on the Siuslaw than expected.

that is the hope, we need better escapement (spawning) numbers for our future runs and retention but what I've heard from several people is- if you do go out and get one this year, where are you going to fish the next day? :unsure:

Markk
Markk
rogerdodger said:
that is the hope, we need better escapement (spawning) numbers for our future runs and retention but what I've heard from several people is- if you do go out and get one this year, where are you going to fish the next day? :unsure:
Umpqua....

Reactions: rogerdodger
Markk
Markk
My son is one and done on the Siuslaw.

B57C1097-547C-46A9-B748-3E3BF6F5B265_1_201_a.jpeg

Reactions: LazyBrewer, JasonInBend, rogerdodger and 1 other person
Top Bottom