Oct.24 Siuslaw crabbing report

rogerdodger

Most Featured
we hit the launch at 8am with low expectations due to a lack of any recent reports. Distributed 5 pots between the A4 and A7 bouys, got them all soaking about 1.5 hours before high tide. Started getting keepers quickly, then multiple keeper pots, then some huge crabs, and by 11:30am, just past high slack, we had 24 in the cooler and started stacking pots, final count was 25, full solid crab. I think we ended up with 5 that were over 7". cheers, roger

4labs

Wow.
I thought the bays were dead. That one is a monster never caught that size in a bay
Thanks for the report
No Pepper???

rogerdodger

Most Featured
Wow.
I thought the bays were dead. That one is a monster never caught that size in a bay
Thanks for the report
No Pepper???
3 of us on the boat plus 5 crab traps, Pepper was home resting up to hit Siltcoos on Friday with two of her fishing friends.... ;)

I was not expecting a 'crabalanche' yesterday, my over/under for the day started at 8 and I expected the keepers to be mostly below the A7 bouy.

4labs

And the bait was ??????
All out of bottom fish I guess its chicken for me. Have a friend who has pheasant carcasses and will try those.

rogerdodger

Most Featured
a whole variety of bait- several ;) very fresh salmon heads and backbones, drumsticks marinated in ProCure crab stuff, one tuna head, one lingcod carcass, some old herring and mackerel, chicken thighs...basically every trap has some stuff in a metal box or plastic bait holder and also some stuff hanging out in the open for the crabs to really get at quickly. and we added bait and scent everytime we pulled a pot.

all the traps had lots of crab right up to high slack, when the water stopped moving the scent, then we just got smaller crabs. my take on that was that there are smaller crabs everywhere but the keepers are spread out and need to come to the traps, also that the larger ones were marching in from the ocean. pretty much what I expect in the lower Siuslaw this time of year.

for ads free experience.

Top Bottom