Ocean salmon

Bo Peep
Bo Peep
Has anybody tried any Chinook finishing in the ocean yet, especially out of Winchester Bay? I have a few more weeks of getting things done then I will hopefully be on the hunt. I will be out of Winchester in the small Black North River

Irishrover
Irishrover
I'll be fishing out of Newport. I'm like you in that I have a few more thing to get done on the boat. I hope it's a good season.

Bo Peep
Bo Peep
Has anyone been trying for ocean salmon yet, and if so any good reports?

Bo Peep
Bo Peep
I am hoping for the first trip this Sunday after the Garth Brooks concert. I will post a report next week if everything goes right. Fingers crossed.

Irishrover
Irishrover
A friend who fishes out of Astoria said it was hot fishing off the mouth of the Columbia. Lots of coho not many chinook.
A couple more weeks and I'll move the boat from Lake Simtustus to the ocean for my last ocean season.

Bo Peep
Bo Peep
We fished this last Friday out of Windy Bay we got our 8 fin clipped Coho and released 8 more that were high fins. We fished 300' north of the Whistler. Got them from 50' OTW to 12 pulls with a diver. Every thing worked color did not seem to madder. Started at 6:45 done by 10.

Sunday was different we fished the same water had several bites that did not hook up, we did release for long fins and only got 2 keepers. We did get 9 large crab to take home.

Ocean was perfect both days like it is going to be all week but now I am back at work.

Bo Peep
Bo Peep
Fished last Friday out of Windy Bay we got 3 of 4 to our limit ocean was great fish were there we were just late to the bite.

Irishrover
Irishrover
Headed to Newport tomorrow. Fishing for coho seems to be very good. Next week the tides look real nice, might even try some near shore halibut.

Bo Peep
Bo Peep
Good luck Irishrover, the forecast for the ocean seems to be bad for this weekend so I will most likely be out, but I might try the river for a Chinook.

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
Fishing is the best in many years right now, they better allow some Coho retention this year!

Irishrover
Irishrover
The forecast from Thursday on is not looking good. Guess we will just get the travel trail hauled down and set up. The boat is already down in the slip. We will be there for a couple of months, I'll be patient and wait for the good days.

This season could be a repeat of the 2009 coho season. They bumped it to a three fish limit that year.

Irishrover
Irishrover
Made it down here to South Beach Marina in Newport. Beautiful sunset and nice out. Tomorrow is another story they have already posted a small craft advisory from Cascade Head to Florence "...SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM WEDNESDAY MORNING THROUGH WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON..." Guess I'll see what the Moring brings might be a day of tying mooching rigs.

Irishrover
Irishrover
"TODAY SW wind 10 kt with gusts to 15 kt, becoming S 20 to 25 kt with gusts to 30 kt." Pinned to the dock today. The south wind is the worst as swell come from the Northwest. I guess it will be a day of tying rigs and drinking coffee. Sure beats working.

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
No wild Coho again this year.bummer!:mad:

• Angry
Reactions: O. mykiss
Irishrover
Irishrover
The Central Oregon coast has a short season 9000 quota. The season is limited to Friday, Saturday and Sunday starting August 31. It ends on September 30th. During the main season we have to release them. Think I'll keep a running tally this year to see how many we release. Of course I'm not going to catch anything until this wind stops.

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
Irishrover said:
The Central Oregon coast has a short season 9000 quota. The season is limited to Friday, Saturday and Sunday starting August 31. It ends on September 30th. During the main season we have to release them. Think I'll keep a running tally this year to see how many we release. Of course I'm not going to catch anything until this wind stops.
I was referring to Tidewater!

Irishrover
Irishrover
Ok no coho for tidewater. I got it now.

Reactions: GaryP1958
GaryP1958
GaryP1958
Killing fish before they have a chance to to spawn is smart!